Sign in to follow this  
Wilczan

Current state of bridges

Bridges are for sure one of the favourite options for wurm builders. Well, I love them.

Altough after all these years from release, bridges still lack of closure on the topic, still have many bugs and flaws, precisely on bridges itself or things related to them.

I admit, bridges got some facelift through introducing new material types and ability to pave, but that's it. Facelift only, mechanics are still not complete.

Bugs:

- while embarking/disembarking from vehicles, player sometimes end up under a bridge

- while riding on the bridge on horse or vehicle, player sometimes end up under bridge or ride on the slope under it, despite of slope height (you can drive 300 slope easily)

- sometimes vehicles bug on the bridge and require GM assist to move them

- while dragging cart through the bridge, cart goes under it and you cannot access it's cargo

- additionally, you cannot stop dragging a cart when it dissappear under a bridge

- you can "teleport" from an unfinished bridge to the tile below, just riding through it

- riding on the very fast horse on the bridge that is over a high slopes (like valrei event ones) often ends up with stucking under a bridge

- there are problems with riding from the bridge to the building on the ground floor, but with a floor build

- mobs sometimes pass from the bridges to the buildings connected to those bridges.

- mobs generally pass through bridges sides, altough player cannot

- problems with hitting a bridges with catapult

- recently something changed, and there are no more ability to build a bridge alligned to a mine entrance by side

- corpses on the bridges, that cannot be reachable from or under a bridge

Flaws:

- despite we can push items on the bridge, we cannot push items from the building to the bridge or in the opposite way

- there is no possibility to plan a building, if you have bridge in progress

- there are no permissions for bridges, you cannot pass ownership, so only original builder can change a name of the bridge

- there is a noticeable height difference between bridge start/end and the ground, those two are not on the same level

- planning arched bridges between two points of big height difference (close to max) sometimes couse an ugly, strange bridge parts, where first tile goes insanely up, for no reason:

KxuSzMq.jpgvFZvfjK.jpgfuD51nS.jpg

- bridge parts (like supports etc) very often are visible in mines under a bridges

- it doesn't matter if support of a bridge consist of 40 bricks and mortar or 6000 of bricks and mortar, it's still has the same quality and can be bashed on the same difficulty

- max height difference between both ends of the arched bridges is very limited (about 11 or so, currently)

- max slope per 1 tile of flat bridges is limited to 20 slope, while it could be pushed up to 23

- there are no fences height-matching borders of the bridges

Wishful suggestions (most probably not possible):

- trees and bushes under a bridges

- bridges crossing over each other (with minimum heigh difference between them)

- buildings under the bridges (with minimum gap between a bridge and a building)

- fences on bridges

- ability to one click destroying bridges by builders (off-deed) or mayors (on-deed)

For sure, there are more bugs and flaws, that players already mentioned. If you want to add any of them or suggest any changes please discuss.

Edited by Wilczan
  • Like 5

With these movement bugs with bridges, are they after the recent update or are they old bugs? 

A lot of these were changed with the movement update 

8 hours ago, Retrograde said:

With these movement bugs with bridges, are they after the recent update or are they old bugs? 

A lot of these were changed with the movement update 

Old bugs, You can ask Astarte how many times she unblocked me from under the bridges : )

Just tried to ride a horse on my bridge over the abyss to check that, and blocked on the horse under a bridge as usual. Putting ticket, again... : /

EHXQOHu.jpgigZwO59.jpg

Edited by Wilczan

It would be neat to have buildings and bridges sharing tiles with eachother or bridges with bridges, but far as I am aware they use some basic coding that housing uses, meaning it is impossible to occupy same tiles. My guess would it would likely require a rewrite of the bridges coding, which I doubt would occur as it was pure wizardry to get them to work in the first place ?

There are too many things to address in your post so I will just say that yes I would like some matching bridge fencing added and also mobs being prevented from squeezing in between bridge and fencing joints.

You do some fantastic work with your bridges so high up in the stratosphere and that may also contribute to some of these *stuck* problems that you are having. If you descend to the levels where us mere mortals dwell it may clear some of that up but I know that is not going to happen or even desirable.

=Ayes=

20 hours ago, Ayes said:

You do some fantastic work with your bridges so high up in the stratosphere and that may also contribute to some of these *stuck* problems that you are having. If you descend to the levels where us mere mortals dwell it may clear some of that up but I know that is not going to happen or even desirable.

Yeah, I'am aware that those stuck problems are mostly mine only.

Bridges works in 90% in normal conditions, but when you start thinking out of the box, it suddenly drops down to 10%.

All the other problems, I listed, apply to all conditions and affect all players.

I understand that developing bridges was a hard and time consuming process, that after it were released, developers let themself a vacation from this project.

Thing is, vacation went too long.

Edited by Wilczan

I agree, bridges need some attention. They are great and they work, but they could be better :)

Tricky mount/vehicle interaction and glitching through seem to be the most frequent and very annoying.

On 3/29/2019 at 11:16 PM, Wilczan said:

despite we can push items on the bridge, we cannot push items from the ground/building to the bridge or in the opposite way

I have successfully pushed crates, carts and even a colossus on and off a bridge from land tiles. Have not tried the same on a bridge connected to a building. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

On 3/31/2019 at 12:39 PM, Shmeric said:

I agree, bridges need some attention. They are great and they work, but they could be better :)

Tricky mount/vehicle interaction and glitching through seem to be the most frequent and very annoying.

I have successfully pushed crates, carts and even a colossus on and off a bridge from land tiles. Have not tried the same on a bridge connected to a building. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

Yes, my bad. Problems are only present when trying to push from building to bridge. Edited first post.

On 3/30/2019 at 9:58 PM, Wilczan said:

I understand that developing bridges was a hard and time consuming process, that after it were released, developers let themself a vacation from this project.

Thing is, vacation went too long.

And we lost Tich.

Looking how low interest this topic has, I assume that players are just used to those bugs over the years.

No wonder why devs do not feel any pressure to change anything.

14 hours ago, Cecci said:

And we lost Tich.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cecci said:

With all the respect for Tich, but I talked with her few times about changes in bridges and she wasn't much interested in any of it.

Maybe she was already tired on this matter and wanted to focus on something else. I don't know.

I know you did.

She was the mum of the bridges afaik.

You are assuming that the other devs can/will alter her code to your preferences?

They all have their field of skill.

1 minute ago, Cecci said:

You are assuming that the other devs can/will alter her code to your preferences?

They all have their field of skill.

Suggestions and flaws could be seen as trying to alter things to someone's preferences, but not necessarily.

Reporting bugs are not.

So You say that none will/would ever touch bridges code?

No, I say that you are assuming there are devs that CAN do it.

But by all means, focus on the words you like and I will focus on the words I like.

We have no idea why the pushing bug has not been solved, but we can count on Tich and other devs having looked at that numerous times.

Personally I always build my bridges from both ends and have no issues with it.

Edit: You have asked for some changes to fit your preferences also, like more than 20 slope.

Edited by Cecci

On 3/29/2019 at 10:16 PM, Wilczan said:

For sure, there are more bugs and flaws, that players already mentioned. If you want to add any of them or suggest any changes please discuss.

8 hours ago, Wilczan said:

Looking how low interest this topic has, I assume that players are just used to those bugs over the years.

No wonder why devs do not feel any pressure to change anything.

Feels like quiet resignation to me... 

I like the feature, where I can teleport from a bridge, with my wagon over 3k slope down to the ground, thus avoiding all the ride.

Ofc must be done on a specific tile, to not land on the slope or stuck near the support. That I do not like.

Shame, that all the way back to the top must be done on normal conditions.

Teleports are great!

• Like 1

Remember the bridge VD built from the southeast island on ele to the Jk mainland by making little islands out of the ocean and island hopping with bridges? Yeah that was fun. 50/50 chance your hellhorse fell through and got stuck in the ocean, and you had to file a support ticket and by the time a gm responded your horse was dead.

Eventually we found a workaround where u would stop your horse before the end of the bridge, turn it around, and walk your horse backwards off the bridge for each one in the bridge chain.  It was weird but it seemed to stop us from falling through.

This is also why VD named their war deed by hota "Fix bridges pls"

Edited by Alexgopen
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Alexgopen said:

Eventually we found a workaround where u would stop your horse before the end of the bridge, turn it around, and walk your horse backwards off the bridge for each one in the bridge chain.  It was weird but it seemed to stop us from falling through.

It's because this bug is speed dependant.

Starts to happen rarely from around 17-20km/h and you have it almost guarantee over 30-35 km/h.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

It's because this bug is speed dependant.

Starts to happen rarely from around 17-20km/h and you have it almost guarantee over 30-35 km/h.

Yea and the only way we could make our 5sp hellhorses go slow enough was by riding backwards lol 

What really sucked was when u fell through after riding nonstop for a little while so u landed in the water out of stamina. Then you either drowned or cried in teamspeak for someone to come cast refresh on you

Edited by Alexgopen

Thought that this matter gonna result in discussion of some sort about bugs and improvement, but well.

Just gonna post mentioned bugs as a separate  bugs in server bugs section, so none will said it wasn't reported.

From what I understand, code of bridges system is kinda magic for the developers, and they do not want to interfere to not mess this up much more.

Don't know how it is coded, but maybe there is a possibility to hard code some kind of overlaying rule, thay if something is on the bridge, then never can go/teleport under the bridge?

Would stop all those stucking under the bridge situations, when moving or when embarking/disembarking.

But I guess it's not so easy?