Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Toggle : Skilling vs Survival

No-one likes the early game fails; they just destroy the fun of wurm for so many people.

So I suggest a pretty simple toggle (next to the sleep button).

If toggled to skilling, game works exactly as it does at the moment (maybe even buffing our skillgain a little for fails, maybe?).

If toggled to survival, all create "fails" produce a 1QL result, but only half the fail tick is given.  (For items with a difficulty roll below a certain threshold to be decided by the devs)

If toggled to survival, all continue "fails" treat the item added as if it were 1QL, but only half the fail tick is given.  (For items with a difficulty roll below a certain threshold to be decided by the devs)

Magic/Runes/Midgame/Endgame items are unaffected.

All existing characters, and new characters, are switched over to survival.  When a player hits 20 skill, they are informed about the "skilling" option.

Edited by Etherdrifter
  • Like 1

I love this.. finally I'll get 100 mining in 2 days, lets do it.

^explanation... what makes some skills hard to grind is.. the lack of any skill gain on failed actions.

Bulk main + few alts.. making tons of ql1 planks.. main just pops a few hq planks/bricks/etc.. and boom gg more and more bulk woooohooooooo yeeea - no.

Rather have "hardcore"(normal) and carebear(helper) mode for the game UI.. and tips as you play... imagine MS paperclip annoying thing.. telling you random tips... could have something like that.. to help you with the things you work with.

There are chat bosts which could be implemented to help with that, whatever you do.. it just tries to give you tips and keeps feeding you info about the mechanics and what's good to do, how you can improve your work, etc..

That's annoying? 1-click to turn it off.. and re-enabling it later when you feel like missing that annoying friend who taught you so much about sawing planks when you were making your 1st house..

7 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

All existing characters, and new characters, are switched over to survival.  When a player hits 20 skill, they are informed about the "skilling" option.

I am not really grasping what you are talking about in the main part of your post but when any new changes such as this might be implemented all characters should Not be switched over to them. The current status should always remain as is and new changes/options added should be the *option* to switch over to. It is always a bad idea to have current players searching for ways to turn off new "options" as that is making them no longer "options" but the current status and rather changing back to the original game play effect is now the "option". Bad, bad.

=Ayes=

1 hour ago, Ayes said:

I am not really grasping what you are talking about in the main part of your post but when any new changes such as this might be implemented all characters should Not be switched over to them. The current status should always remain as is and new changes/options added should be the *option* to switch over to. It is always a bad idea to have current players searching for ways to turn off new "options" as that is making them no longer "options" but the current status and rather changing back to the original game play effect is now the "option". Bad, bad.

=Ayes=

The notion here is that it's a switch that you toggle on/off like sleep bonus.  When set to survival, you don't get "0 progress" fails (a major point of contention among potential players), but you get lower QL results.  When set to skilling, the game plays as normal.  There are no limitations, you can choose which game mode you like.  Essentially, it is just a blanket switch so that newer players are set to this to make their life better, if it were an issue, then it could be set to toggle on only for account less than 4 months old.

5 hours ago, Hailene said:

What do you mean half a fail tick is given?

From what I remember of my early days, a tiny skill tick was given, even on a fail.  This is a bit rusty, since my skills are now well beyond fails and I mostly watch for channel ticks.  If this is wrong; 1/2 of 0 is 0.  So no issues there.

@Finn I know you like the idea of wurm as "hardcore"; but seriously; wurm is a nice softcore mmo that just needs some tweaks to increase player retention.  These suggestions are not going to hit the bulk market too hard, since a high level player can still massively out-bulk a new player via time-length alone.  If you want hardcore pain, go play Hafen/Salem; I am sure you'll fit right in with that playerbase.

I feel like this is just perpetuating the pain.

You know what's worse than trying to make parts for a large cart on your first day (like I did?) Trying to make a large cart on your first day with mostly 1 QL parts.

Might just be better to just increase the base chance of super basic items--nails and planks, for example--though I'm not sure if that'd affect the bulk market. Though if people are spamming stuff on free accounts, I'd think they'd be getting to at least 20 blacksmithing on'em?

I'll agree to disagree @Etherdrifter, point's still quite valid for alts bulking up quite well with no fails or need to grind at all on them, makes things in times easier.

Wurm's not hardcore, it's just a bit different from other mmos, there's no hardcore grinding.. it's just be a dumb stubborn person and keep going.. 

There's no do-it-smart, besides the 2-3 tips you could use to grind more efficiently, it comes down to enchanted tools, sleep powders and real life hours dumped into the game to get few numbers higher.

I'd not call the game hardcore because of that, rather head-into-the-wall until you reach the other end, breathe and see another wall to headbutt.

New players could do great if they are taught to grind to 10-15 skill before they start expecting something...

There's no game in which you get to be useful for end-game in first 5 minutes(well there is.. wurm.. have 10+ alts poke another in pvp to debuff it.. if it works like the creature gank debuff..)