Sign in to follow this  
Fablecrafter

Ground/Ceiling Clutter for Caves

Actually dawned on me today that caves don't exactly have clutter, much like how the outside ares do, mainly thinking of things such as the random stones you see sitting on grass tiles or dirt tiles, or the random flowers you see on grass tiles, that aren't flower tiles. I got to thinking about it, that it would be neat to see some clutter like that inside of caves, just to make them feel less bland. I was thinking stuff like stones, maybe piles of rubble/stones, could even do stalactites and stalagmites, and even hanging moss or vines, and even tree roots, if it'd be applicable to do a check for trees on the same tile above that one of the cave, could even do different roots for each type of tree :)

Also thought on very rare occasions, to have small crystal formations and such too, possibly even glowing ones that provide some small ambient lighting near them :)  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wargasm said:

Off deed +1

On deed -1

I can understand ondeed it would be annoying, but I wouldn't expect the clutter to show up on reinforced tiles, like how it doesn't for paved tiles or packed dirt.

we already have trees sticking through cavern ceilings (although it's not as prominent as it used to be)
Z4PADxS.jpg
turning this part of them into roots, might be a lovely thing to see. (this one is a chestnut, most of the others don't poke through anymore)
there's about 3-4 mycellium suggestion threads concerning various heterotrophic life forms that exist in environments starved of light. (Funghi are more animal than plant) and many of them are bioluminescent.
as for clutter.. well.. outside we hear ducks but never see them.. inside the caves we can hear light rubble falling against rock, but we never see it.
any suggestion that introduces continuity gets my vote
+1 (for on deed and off deed but not on reinforced tiles)

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 2

Hmm, honestly, could even have an option in settings to tick for cave clutter to show up on deed or not, could even do that for surface clutter too possibly, now that I think of it.

Easy way to get rid of cave clutter would be to just reinforce the floors / ceilings...

I'm all for it. Caves have always been quite barren.

• Like 2

I actually don't like the existing ground clutter! :) Nearly every object in Wurm -means- something; you can interact with it, it's not just scenery. Empty objects like the rocks on dirt feel like a betrayal of that principle.

So, if you just mean empty, textured mesh scenery in caves, I'd say no, but if you want to add more interactable objects to caves (rock formations you can harvest, say, or mushrooms), I'd be all for that.

I prefer the barrenness of caves. I set the cave detail to low and all the floors, walls and ceilings are smooth that way. I discovered this years ago shortly after I started playing the game and have always set my game this way rather than all that distorted lumpiness of medium/high detail. So I would say No to this suggestion as it would then disrupt this smoothness. Then too after hitting 90 mining skill every wall that is mined out will leave a perfectly flat floor, wall and ceiling, so I wouldn't want this suggested "clutter" to mess with that effect either.

=Ayes=

• Like 1