Sign in to follow this  
gabars

My beef with Chaos and a tip on PvP player retention

For the guys on Chaos that want more players, here's what happened to me when I went and why I won't ever be going back:

I went there with a young priest toon (~30 fighting), to test the waters, and I'm glad I didn't send my main. I joined a kingdom on their forum first and told them in the application that I was going to be bringing a priest, that I was not ready for combat, and that even if I were to bring my main later down the line I wanted to have a more supporting role (supplying the kingdom with weapons, armor, building supplies, etc.) I wasn't interested in PvP, but I liked the idea of a server where players had more control.

My application was accepted, so I dropped myself off on chaos, got a /vinvite and was told to teleport there, so I did. I spawned on war-deed on the front line and told to build myself a house, obviously, I couldn't. I understand that new recruits don't get to live in the capital but to be sent there without a warning, I felt tricked and trapped. Nobody offered any help, it felt like me staying here was so important to them that what I wanted didn't matter. So after 2 evenings of doing absolutely nothing, I started walking towards the coast. I didn't make it far, got attacked by a troll, respawned and got the hell out of there, without my things.

I might have just been unlucky. That was a few years ago, so things might have changed. I'm not trying to tarnish the server's or kingdom's reputation but ffs, if you can't or won't accommodate the needs of potential recruits, just tell them. Maybe you can work something out, maybe not. Luring players to the opposite of what they signed up for is sketchy as hell and I can't imagine a scenario where this works out for anyone.

My tip: If you want to keep players, don't be sketchy.

My answer to this, is do your research on kingdoms you join. Not all kingdoms on choas are like this. Don't always joins the kingdom with the biggest mouths. Or the biggest numbers. Can't judge a server on one or two kingdoms. Some kingdoms will leave their new recruits to fend for themselves and that is how they see if they will stay with chaos. 

If their are new/old players wanting to or thinking of joining chaos, do your research. Maybe talk to each kingdom. And don't always go to the biggest/loudest kingdom.

Eva.

Edited by EvaDaly
  • Like 1

people always say that, but how does one actually research a chaos kingdom? do you go by whats in the recruitment thread, the skirmishes thread maybe, or word of mouth from other people that have read skirmishes and *know* each kingdom? do you PM each leader and say "are you the best experience on Chaos?" of course, each reply is going to be "yeah, we're the best experience ofc! join us."

point is, you really can't know anything about the kingdoms until you're on chaos, and even then most people dont know anything about their own kingdom let alone kingdoms they aren't in. There is so much propaganda spun by everyone on Chaos its not surprising nobody has a clue whats going on

you pretty much just go by blind picking or through friends you meet in game, sounds like you blind picked and got a bad experience and potentially not even a bad kingdom just bad timing. the experience a new chaos player can get from joining the same exact kingdom can be night and day depending on various factors at the time

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 3

I see what you are saying there. And I can understand that. But if kingdom would stay true to what they say in all the things then people would know.and yes reading pvp threads could help. Yes I have always been part of chaos because it has always been my home. But if I started out on freedom. I honestly would join alot of the big mouth kingdoms. From how they talk to each other on the pvp threads on the forms and discord. And then we wonder why no one wants to join chaos. And wonder why it is always the same old people. A

And research can be done. Just like when people join a alliance or village on freedom. You talk to people, you read how people of said kingdom talk, just like you research any other things. 

And people that are already are on chaos could change the way they put chaos out there. You can say all you want about how chaos is pvp, there will be trolling and some trash talking, but just like with all PvP type game it gets took to far. And it detroys what people think of it. 

But anyways what is said on the discord chats and in PvP section is a big reason why people will or won't join or try our chaos. 

• Like 1

So like using a buttercup flower or dandelion flower to place under someone's chin and if it glows yellow is not a good indication if they like butter?  Like bacon and butter and dogs...those are good benchmarks for me to measure by.  

Now with that out of the way,  because chaos is a highly social component under a more intense environment to wage assault on others and participate in contest or mission for goals/rewards   Think about personalities and expectations. Try to assess if the personalities of a group more align with yours yet if you don't know many players in any such kingdom, measuring that can be difficult for as mentioned above using skirmishes is a poor idea due to ubiquitous use of propaganda and trolling for sport as a word base. pvp.  There are small truths in those threads but mostly to those in the know on chaos already, otherwise most of it is pure trash talk giving people very little helpful information.

Be sure to make your expectations clear as well, invariably people go there with an unspoken idea of how it either should go or how a kingdom should accommodate you.  If this wasn't made clear up front you can be let down and have chagrin, maybe blame them when they may have not known your specific needs and were merely playing in their style unbeknownst to a conflict of suitability.   So also check yourself of what you expect to get out of the experience so that is not unrealistic and chaos is blamed for an experience you mapped in your head but not out to the group you joined.  

So the best thing you can do is self assessment first of where you are in the game skill wise and interest and what you expect out of pvp.  Doing this increases your chance of a good experience dramatically regardless of what kingdom you chose.  I have found chaos to be at times far more generous and familial with massive teamwork support, yet also at times to be loaded with selfish egos where only certain people rank and matter.  So though it's a tough place it is also very much supportive as well.  Be aware of this going into it.

Aside, I encourage you to try again, and not stack all the eggs in one basket of experience.  I've had both great and not so great experiences over the years.  I highly encourage all to try it at least once, much as i say of spinach.  Pvp servers are the fullest expression of wurm code intent for you get to use and experience all the options all the bells and whistles.  It's not for all but you can't know until you try.  And Like dating, one person does not shape how others will be nor the merits of it being flawed or unflawed.  Over and out from the prosaic desk of spam linguistics.

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 1

What kingdom gave you a hard time OP and are they still around if I may ask? You can send me a forum PM if you want to keep this anonymous.

For me our standard is get setup at the deed we all are at, so we can help you, if you go capital but nobody is there, you will have a hard time. War deed Life tho is not safe and not fun, the deeds are built with one thing in mind, pvp. Garrison deeds as I call them are like forward capital but smaller, these are where we put new players because we're all there, so you getting a house wouldn't be a issue or helping you imp up a armour set etc. 

You will find some days are quiet. 

Seems like a sociable experience overall and I know what it's like to be sat at a war deed not knowing if you can even mine a vien. Lol

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, gabars said:

[...snip] 

That was a few years ago, so things might have changed.

Although I'm not a PvP player, I'm wondering, why bring it up NOW if it happened a few years ago?

Thorin :)

4 minutes ago, Thorinoakshield said:

Although I'm not a PvP player, I'm wondering, why bring it up NOW if it happened a few years ago?

Thorin :)

Sometimes it is better to stew a bit on it. Don't immediately go out and fling turds at everyone, calm down first, try to move on. If it was truly that egregious that it needs to be called out or addressed, chances are you'll think about it later on and decide to speak up about it after all; by then with a somewhat cooler head about it though and perhaps having mulled over some more aspects of what might have gone wrong, and you can see that type of reflection in the OP.

Maybe this is somewhat more topical than I'm aware of but I see nothing right now that specifically talks about retention or recruitment on Chaos that would have sparked this thread.

Never good using a alt to PvP , that was the first mistake 

1 hour ago, Flubb said:

Sometimes it is better to stew a bit on it. Don't immediately go out and fling turds at everyone, calm down first, try to move on. If it was truly that egregious that it needs to be called out or addressed, chances are you'll think about it later on and decide to speak up about it after all; by then with a somewhat cooler head about it though and perhaps having mulled over some more aspects of what might have gone wrong, and you can see that type of reflection in the OP.

Maybe this is somewhat more topical than I'm aware of but I see nothing right now that specifically talks about retention or recruitment on Chaos that would have sparked this thread.

Haha you're making me look much wiser than I am ;). It's true that I've got a much cooler head and all but the real reason is that was supposed to be a part of my reply on

But it got so long I figured it deserved it's own thread.

I had no intention of sharing this experience when it happened and I'm not trying to "fix" my view of Chaos now. What's done is done.

My intention with this thread was to make Chaos recruiters take a step back and ask themselves if they're guilty of such practices. Anybody could fall into this trap, and I'm sure there was no malice behind what happened to me.

And the kingdom will remain nameless, I'm not trying to stir ######.