Sign in to follow this  
Titanius

No Point Rounding Up Skill Levels

Hey, just wanted to point out that the way skills are rounded up to the next x.01 doesn't count, because you can't unlock a new ability until you hit the full required number in skill.

For example: You need 20.1 to command a large cart.  When I had 20.095108, the display rounded the number up to the next x.01, which is 20.10.  So I went to my large cart with horses attached, but couldn't command it; it just told me I need 20.1 mind logic.

So I hovered my mouse over the mind logic display and realized that even though it read 20.1, it was really still just 20.095108.  So rounding the skill number up to the next x.01 doesn't make sense.  What's the point?  You can't unlock a new ability until you reach the whole number, in this case 20.10.  So it may as well just keep reading 20.09 all the way up to 20.099999 and then roll over to 20.10, instead of round up to 20.10 when it is still at 20.095xxx.

Minor point, I know.  But there's just no point rounding any skill number up.  Because nothing unlocks until you reach the exact number required.  Rounding up is meaningless, and at times misleading.

Edited by Titanius
  • Like 1

+1

A lot of established players will probably -1 because it becomes irrelevant once your skills and characteristics are past a certain point, when there's not much that you're impatiently looking forward to. This is an annoyance to new players and it should be a trivial change to code.

Actually why not, +1

it's most likely just changing "round" to "floor" in the code and OP has a point about it being misleading.

Contrary to what @gabarssaid though, I think the difference to veterans is not the lack of meaningful thresholds (still exist at high levels in faith, meditation, mind logic, maybe even the odd prospecting.), but that veterans simply know to rely on the mouse over or checking their skill tab that is set to update "Always" or "Every 0.0001" points instead, so this won't even affect us/them.

• Like 2

As long as the account is Prem, I don't see this as an issue.

+1

Rounding down would also be misleading, though. 19.95 is a lot closer to 20 than it is to 19.

Also, the skill tracker helps here if you have the bar show progress to the next whole number, since it eliminates that confusion.

Edited by Ostentatio

Just show the full unadulterated double precision floating point number. That way you know you're at 99.9999999999765 digging... which is much closer to 0 than to 100 ?

• Like 8

Thanks, folks, for the feedback.

Ostentatio, the skills display would keep the two decimal place format it currently has, and wouldn't change to whole integers.  So in your example, 19.95 would remain 19.95.  It wouldn't round down to 19.  And something like 20.095555 would be rounded down to 20.09 instead of the current rounding up to 20.10.

It's minor, but since there is an actual coding command that causes rounding up, it may as well be written to cause rounding down.  I mean, if it's going to round anyway, may as well be in the more useful direction.  To the closest x.xx already achieved.

Just playing some idea hacky-sack, I am.  Just chatter around the watering hole.

Edited by Titanius