Sign in to follow this  
Guest Willows

Hey Rolf

Hey ROLF why dont you go back to every day resets ? Or are way paying to play in this lag. Hey ROLF why dont you fix monster spawns so we can actually get fs on consistent bases again. Or are we paying for BETA. Hey ROLF why dont you fix the bug with carts that makes em get more and more out of sink with person more times you enter a mine or leave a mine. Or are we paying for BETA. Hey Rolf why dont you fix the endless list of bugs before adding new trees new spells and other stuff we dont need atm. Really tired of paying for BETA. All the ROLF lovers flame away.

Hey ROLF why dont you go back to every day resets ? Or are way paying to play in this lag. Hey ROLF why dont you fix monster spawns so we can actually get fs on consistent bases again. Or are we paying for BETA. Hey ROLF why dont you fix the bug with carts that makes em get more and more out of sink with person more times you enter a mine or leave a mine. Or are we paying for BETA. Hey Rolf why dont you fix the endless list of bugs before adding new trees new spells and other stuff we dont need atm. Really tired of paying for BETA. All the ROLF lovers flame away.

Cool story bro.

why flame what you say is true lag is just bad now and get worse every day ;) as for spawns they still work but since there are so many ppl breeding no more things can spawn coz the cap has been hit but ppl can still breed logic behind that is fail :P some hacker go to kyara and see the count of critters it would be bad trust me more there than the sever XD and other towns that have a breed fest

Daily reboots wouldn't be mandatory if Rolf just fixed the tower guard lag he introduced 4 months ago and never fixed.

I will say that while I am not particularly fond of the approach being used here, but the point about paying premium for the past 2 weeks for a game that has been almost too laggy to play for a good portion of that time is valid.

The lag does not affect only 1 or 2 aspects of the game but in fact affects all aspects and all player types on Wild. If Rolf is unable to fix the problem code at this time the server should be maintained enough so that the game is playable a majority of the time.

Hey Rolf!

I guess someone could ask nicely so the people who are behind the lag stops causing it :)

A simple line kinda like :

"oh allmighty ddos'ers, please stop denying my slaves, er people the right to right click and watch the wonderfull blue action bar".

Just kidding.

Although judging from the graphs and times of the lag it seems to happen periodically and at same time intervarls, perhaps some unscheduled server maintenance or defrag running inn an background process? Or perhaps it's due to the game being backed up and there's not enough IO left to do so succesfully while the game is online?

Pro Rolf "flame" if thats what you call looking at this thing realistically without prejudice.

Kinda funny you through the trees in your rant.  Kinoss is working on the trees, he has nothing to do with coding the game.   So him working on trees has had no impact on other things that arent fixed yet.

Everyone always starts these threads bitching that rolf suxx, or he isnt doing what they think should be done.   I have yet to see anyone post their cool bug free games they have developed.  I would think there would be many out their since many seem to think running and developing wurm is soo easy.

You think bug fixing is so easy and development is so easy, and you have opinions on how you think things should be handled?  Wheres your game?  Where is your independently developed bug free game?  I thought as much so stop whining and enjoy the game for what it is or go play one of those cool bug free indie games, god so many wich one will you pick?... ::)

Im sure Rolf has a plan and works on the game the best way he sees fit.  Thats all you can really ask for from an independant dev.

Ask thomas biskup about developing a game by yourself. (JADE)? With a small group of pro bono devs, and Rolfs dedication to the game, you should be happy for what we have.

One thing is for sure, the only thing constant in wurm is change.  The news is full of updates and bug fixes every week.  Rolf does a fantastic job managing a developing this game conisidering all the facts.  If you dont think so I'd like to see a link to your game.

P.S.  Look around it is rare for an indie game to be under such constant and open development.

For this I give rolf all the credit he deserves.

/End pro Rolf  "Flame"

Seriuosly Rolf, maby check the game status a few times on weekends or maby the forums?

Please though show me the hundreds of indie games that are in better shape and that have taken on the scope of wurm.

This is a fantasy world simulator.  One man develops it.  I think he does a decent job, alot better than all the other indie games i play, and wurm is under constant development, it is likely that in a few months many current bugs will be fixed and new ones will pop up.

Every game indie or commercial tries to find a balance while in development of bug-fixing, gameplay, new content, and features.  Your bug fix only suggestion is a terrible way to develop a game.

Since you admit you are a gamer and not a game developer maybe you should look into and do some research regarding typical game development schedules before shooting off at the mouth that this game is being developed wrong?  Might be a little out of the ordinary for you to do so but that way you can make informed statements about game development and how it should be done.

Wurm is constantly being updated and bugs fixed.  Read the news.  You can say my nose is covered in brown stuff,  but your attitude is just bad and your arguments reek of close minded opinions based purely on the assumption that your admittedly uninformed thoughts on the subject are the only opinion that counts and anyone else who chooses to think otherwise about your hard to read and rantish post is "flaming" the thread because any opinion not in line with your own is invalid and not worthwhile.

Gratz on taking the break from wurm,  we need less players like you.

Been playing this game for years tony. Its always same full of bugs. And again I say you don't usually pay for games in development. I know have played 100's of different games.

These days it's normal to release bugged games and to send out patches in the first few weeks, it happens all over the place, EA does it, others do it, etc etc. They pretty much release em unfinished and do the finishing after release. For example some command and conquer games were filled with bugs at release and some even still had some bad bugs after more then a year. or take the X series from Egosoft, like X2 and X3, you don't even want to play those until a few month after release, unless you are very lucky and don't run into some of the numerable bugs. I can go on and on like that, and from what I noticed it happens more and more these days.

On the MMO area, those games are always in development, they are always changing. If they weren't then nothing would ever change in those games, it would become boring and people would eventually quit and the game would fail. And since you have to pay for most MMOs, you usually do pay for games in development. Sure, they might be in slightly different stages of development than wurm, but in development is in development.

Please though show me the hundreds of indie games that are in better shape and that have taken on the scope of wurm.

This is a fantasy world simulator.  One man develops it.  I think he does a decent job, alot better than all the other indie games i play, and wurm is under constant development, it is likely that in a few months many current bugs will be fixed and new ones will pop up.

Every game indie or commercial tries to find a balance while in development of bug-fixing, gameplay, new content, and features.  Your bug fix only suggestion is a terrible way to develop a game.

Since you admit you are a gamer and not a game developer maybe you should look into and do some research regarding typical game development schedules before shooting off at the mouth that this game is being developed wrong?  Might be a little out of the ordinary for you to do so but that way you can make informed statements about game development and how it should be done.

Wurm is constantly being updated and bugs fixed.  Read the news.  You can say my nose is covered in brown stuff,  but your attitude is just bad and your arguments reek of close minded opinions based purely on the assumption that your admittedly uninformed thoughts on the subject are the only opinion that counts and anyone else who chooses to think otherwise about your hard to read and rantish post is "flaming" the thread because any opinion not in line with your own is invalid and not worthwhile.

Gratz on taking the break from wurm,  we need less players like you.

+1

You are paying to play a beta.

Hope that helps. :)

Think of yourself as a "donator" to its development.

You are paying to play a beta.

Hope that helps. :)

Think of yourself as a "donator" to its development.

here is how I percieve the issue of lag and what is causing it.

1. coding made so tower guards do not auto attack aggro animals in their vicinity.

2. Animals are not constantly being killed off by the tower guards giving a 1-3 day lull until respawn.

3. more towers = more guards= more creatures on server, affecting the count of animals.

3 days up time=lag

towerguards not killing animals, =3 day buildup of population of animals that is not constantly being refreshed = lag.

overpopulation of lower class animals= great fs for those who are average to below average fs.

Lack their of population of animals for higher fs players = crap skill gain even though it is supposed to be crap skill gain.

so what do you do,

1. you can re auto aggro animals from tower guards.

2. you can do massive kill offs of everyones animals again making players mad.

3. buy a server that can handle it.

4. add in the law of food chain, since also most meat eaters are starving now, since they are not getting meat. since when people hunt the meat rots to fast.

here is how I percieve the issue of lag and what is causing it.

1. coding made so tower guards do not auto attack aggro animals in their vicinity.

2. Animals are not constantly being killed off by the tower guards giving a 1-3 day lull until respawn.

3. more towers = more guards= more creatures on server, affecting the count of animals.

3 days up time=lag

towerguards not killing animals, =3 day buildup of population of animals that is not constantly being refreshed = lag.

overpopulation of lower class animals= great fs for those who are average to below average fs.

Lack their of population of animals for higher fs players = crap skill gain even though it is supposed to be crap skill gain.

so what do you do,

4. add in the law of food chain, since also most meat eaters are starving now, since they are not getting meat. since when people hunt the meat rots to fast.

Your theory has absolutely nothing to do with lag. Not this specific lag, not past lag, not any lag at all. Also, animals don't disappear on a server restart, so why would a server restart fix it anyway?

According to Egal, option 3 will fix the lag though, for an unrelated reason.

I wish this forum did not allow similar names to be registered. For the people that know me in game I am not the Willows person who made this post and wish that no actions taken by this person be a reflection on my own conduct and thought process. ::)

...really close...

so what do you do,

5. Add a third server and dedicate it to creatures, trees and pesky things like in use forges

doing good Friend, missing you guys..but someone has to take care of Drago and MD!  ;)

Rolf talked about using one of the old 'home' servers and moving wild onto it as they had better hardware, but that was before the freedom migration.

It's not really about hardware. It's about volume and the number of connections. If he's doing a virtual server on the same drive for some things, that's nice, but that doesn't really up the ability for connections. I'm talking about the updating of your location as you travel, placing something in a bag, removing armor... those are all actions like a person smithing at a forge full of stuff - difference is that the forge doesn't constantly need placement updates.

By moving creatures/guards, trees and forges to a completely separate drive that leaves the current drive able to update players alot faster... then the client could make a second connection with the other server when creatures/guards, trees etc come into play. That way, say when digging, your client would be telling server 1 everything it needs to know about the map/rock level at the same time it was telling server 2 where to relocate that pesky cow that's on the tile you are digging/dumping on. As it is... creatures and items still float or sink. Separating those connections would fix those issues (and they are many) and it would fix the lag that is caused by them. He simply can not do it using only 1 machine that handles all connections. A mirrored pair of scsi drives running at 15k couldn't even do it. It has to be separate machines.