Sign in to follow this  
Lulu

[Resolved] Running Wurm on windows 10

Hello techies,

I've been trying to load up and run wurm on my new PC, just wondering if anyone has found a way to make it work with windows 10 and what you did please.

Ive downloaded the client, and java, however when i try to launch the game, it expands a window as if it will launch and then it just dissapears. That's it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Lulu

Im playing on Win10, and have been since it came out. Didnt know there was an issue with it, really? Might be a java crash tho. Also your console.log file might help the techies to reveal the problem. :) 

Please check that only 64bit Java is installed on the machine - when you install Java with the auto installer it tends to instal lthe 32bit version - Wurm will not really like it. It is very rare that you explicitly need the 32bit one so best to remove it and install the 64bit one from the offlne installer.

https://javadl.oracle.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=236888_42970487e3af4f5aa5bca3f542482c60

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

Aside from windows 10 corrupting itself so many times I reverted to windows 7, wurm ran fine on it when I used it.

• Desktop or laptop? If your laptop has a switchable discrete GPU, follow this guide
  • Make sure your drivers are all up to date.
  • Make sure the wurm folder isn't read-only.
  • Check your settings, it might be trying to run fullscreen at a resolution or frequency that isn't supported by your hardware.

I don't know if this is the same issue as I once experienced, but since it sounded familiar I looked up this older post. Maybe it'll help?

Thanks for the replies,

@Nordlyssadly I don't even get the game to launch let a lone a crash to recieve a console.log

@JazI did do previously and have again installed the 64bit Java in offline mode, but still I just get what looks like a ghost window open up (as if it's maximising the screen) and then just dissapears. I'm using Firefox, but when I try and launch it takes me to an Internet explorer window to view downloads, try to launch from there and nothing happens.

I have tried launching from IE, Firefox and chrome and same result.

@gabarsIt's a desktop PC, I've checked all drivers are up to date, I did check that the file isnt read only, it was and I unticked the box for it. Other than that there are no other options. So im quite lost at the moment.

What type of CPU and GPU (if present) do you have?

Also, can you confirm for me the type of Windows installation you have, that it is either 32-bit or 64-bit?

After confirming the info, try and start Wurm while task manager is open via a .BAT file if you know how, to rule out any browser-related issues. (If you don't know how to do this just PM me and I can send you the batch file)

Watch for a process to appear called either Javaws.exe or Jp2launcher.exe - I want to know if you see one of these processes at all, even for only a brief moment.

39 minutes ago, Lulu said:

but when I try and launch it takes me to an Internet explorer window to view downloads, try to launch from there and nothing happens. 

If when you run a .jnlp file it takes you to internet explorer, i'd say that's a file association problem.
Right click the .jnlp  select open with.
select Java(TM) web launcher

If the web launcher isn't an option, this is where the executable is:
(C:)\Program Files\Java\jre1.8***\bin\ javaws.exe

When you install Java it's meant to associate the files that it opens
this file works.. or should  https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html
Windows x64 73.7mb >  jre-8u202-windows-x64.exe

Here are the 3 different clients you might wish to try
https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Client

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1

see also whether this helps:

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/167425-cant-open-wurmclient-with-64bit-java/

• right-click on the saved .jnlp file and choose Open With
  • Make sure there is a check-mark in the box that says Always use this app to open .jnlp files, then click More apps
  • Scroll down to the bottom and select Look for another app on this PC
  • Select the Java folder, (If you do not see Java, go back up one level to the c:/ drive and select  Program Files  then select the Java folder. If you do not have a Java folder here, you will want to go to www.java.com and download the latest version before continuing with these steps.)
  • Double click the latest jre folder (example: jre7, jre1.8_191, etc)
  • Double click the bin folder
  • Double click the javaws application
  • Click the Close button
  • JNLP files will now open, by default, with Java Web Start
Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700k CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 6 core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

It's running 64bit

I will try suggestions and post my results. Thanks so far :)

All up and running, just a few settings to change to suit my preferences and im back :)

Thanks all once again, this can be closed.

• Like 3