Sign in to follow this  
Martynas5

Article 13 and 11 passed in EU

I don't get it. Will they take action against copyright violation even without the request of a copyright holder?

1 hour ago, Lucyein said:

I don't get it. Will they take action against copyright violation even without the request of a copyright holder?

It's a bit more complicated than that, it would hold platform providers accountable for illicit content uploaded to them. As it is now, they're simply obliged to remove such offending content within a certain timeframe, which is fine, but then it mustn't even be uploaded or the providers face repercussions. Hence the talk of an "upload filter" (art. 13), because that's the only way for platform providers could save their asses from that.

Thoughts? A few.

Everything about this is bollocks.

The law is unreasonable to begin with.

The implementation is impossible without massive collateral damage to meme culture and satire, and by extension free speech.

The politicians are phony puppets bought out by corporations.

They're backpedalling on this because of impending votes ("We don't have to be so strict about it" YEAH RIGHT) and at the same time denounce protesters as "angry mobs". (Implying it's some fringe group pushing their agenda with violence? Where are the people outside the media corporation's pockets that are actually for this, if you're oh so democratically representing the will of the people at large.)

The leading member of parliament in this, Axel Voss, is about the biggest hack I've ever seen. He legitimately makes me wonder if he is that stupid or just desperately trying to keep those black briefcases coming, because the amount of incompetence he displays is beyond anything I can conceive as humanly possible for a member of the Europeasant Parliamant.

This guy claimed that "Google can already filter memes, so it's no big deal".

I thought "What the hell is he on about". Social democrat (They were opposed to this, FYI) of the parliament Wölken was interested in this claim aswell and asked where Google can do that. The results were...amazing...

"Appearantly @AxelVossMdEP knows his stuff better than @woelken after all. Google can filter #Memes pretty well in its search."

That's how the twitter account of Voss' faction in the parliament (probably he himself or someone on his behalf) defended his claim.

Just take a look at that informative image they've given. Let it sink in.

Then remember that this is the demented mule that ###### over the european internet with this level of "understanding" how any of this works.

Dm5LVCHXcAAsRVv.jpg:large

I think I'm starting to know what US-american democrats felt like when Trump got elected.

It's beyond frustrating to see such people in power.

It's actually, quite frankly, a bit terrifying.

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 1

This reminds me of the ring of power, and men easily corrupted....

EU gonna start demanding speed limiters on all cars sold by 2022 lmaoO

Also, why bring Trump into this?

I like Trump (but don't agree with everything he says/does), and I believe any kind of Conservative would be for anyone having free speech in any form, anywhere.

Unless you just meant as a parallel.  ?

Edited by Oreo
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Oreo said:

EU gonna start demanding speed limiters on all cars sold by 2022 lmaoO

Also, why bring Trump into this?

I like Trump (but don't agree with everything he says/does), and I believe any kind of Conservative would be for anyone having free speech in any form, anywhere.

Unless you just meant as a parallel.  ?

Yeah, just a parallel, you could bring up any POTUS election since the losing side always freaks out it seems. Trump was a delightful trashcanfire to watch, I don't dislike the guy himself, but think he's kind of a buffoon.

Don't let the culture war make you throw out broad assumptions though, the votes in favor of this reform where overwhelmingly conservative, while social democrats and leftist parties voted overwhelmingly against this. This isn't a "left vs. right" issue really, if you look a bit beyond the parties it's more of a "old farts and boomers who don't understand the internet vs. young(er) people who do" case.

Funny how this came up. The other day i was fantasizing that if it was up to me i would limit car speed limits to 30 mph (50 kmh).

With the exception of emergency vehicles and show or racing vehicles. I've done stupid things in my time like ride a motorbike at 92 mph,

and another time totaled a car for speeding and losing control of it on wet pavement. Admittedly caused by my own stupidity. But I've also

seen families ruined by momentary stupidity of a family member, or a strangers.

Ill keep fantasizing i guess.

As for politicians, their first rule of thumb is "Divide and conquer". As soon as they get a following, even a minority, they're set for life.

• Like 1