Sign in to follow this  
Lucyein

Affinity from killing champion creatures

I think it would be great if we got a random fighting related affinity like the affinity from eating food (fighting, large metal shield, spear, med metal shield, body strength, body control, hugeaxe, long sword, butchering etc.) each time we killed a champion creature. I think 8 hours is a good duration for affinity gotten from champion creatures.

Also, a nice bonus to this could be some champion creatures (the ones that can't be bred) having a very low chance to give a permanent fighting related affinity when killed.

If you make it a low (low!) chance to get a temporary affinity, maybe. Make it be much more unlikely than likely, but sometimes you get lucky? Dunno.

8 minutes ago, Anarres said:

If you make it a low (low!) chance to get a temporary affinity, maybe. Make it be much more unlikely than likely, but sometimes you get lucky? Dunno.

Coming across the champion is the low chance. The temprorary affinity you get from the champ will be random so not only is it just luck that you come across the champ and managed to kill it but you will also need luck to get the affinity you want. You might just get something you don't need 10 times in a row if you are unlucky.

33 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

+1

Timed affinity would be a fine reward.

I saw your comment so wanted to make a suggestion topic on it.

if you're in places like north xanadu champions are so abundant you could spend all day killing nothing but champs and not even make a dent in their numbers, they're not hard to find, especially with litwoods pend.

yes to timed affinities, no to permanent affinities.

• Like 2

"Coming across" a champ is not a low chance, unless you wait to "come across" randomly while doing other stuff. Get a pendulum as said above, and go kill champs.

That is the issue I have with it: an incentive for a guaranteed hunting-related affinity, even temporary, is too powerful. It would means champs will be farmed much more, or even, if so inclined, players may pen them more than today, to "save" affinities for later. Going to a rift? Farm some hunting-related affinity first. Someone else did before you? Tough luck. Those players who leave it to "luck" to meet and beat champs, will see them even more rarely than today. I don't think it's a desirable effect.

Make it a low chance to get a temporary hunting-related affinity, then maybe. Lower than 8h too.

Edited by Anarres

I'm really not seeing why champs need to be protected from hunting, or more to the point how timed affinities are in any way an OP reward for killing a champ. Anyone who's able to hunt down and kill oodles of champs in one go will certainly have already figured out how to get super-long temp affinities from food. What's the simpler option:  (1) make/buy a few custom affinity meals/pizzas for the exact combat skills you want to raise and get literally hundreds of skilling sessions out of them; or (2) hunt and kill dozens of champs every time before combat till you get the right affinity combo? Pretty easy choice in my mind.

So sure, why not, +1 to temp affinities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wilczan said:

+1

Timed affinity would be a fine reward.

OP said affinities, not timed affinities.  How easy would it be to run around the server with a pendulum all day to get like 5x affinities in all skills fighting?

Timed affinities I'd be okay with, but not permanent ones.

I said the perm would just be a nice bonus to the timed affinities which is the main suggestion. I even specified the duration. Please read before responding.

If perm ones were to be added they would have to be really low chance to be balanced. The suggestion is not really asking for them tho.