Sign in to follow this  
whereami

Chance to Fail Summon Soul Cast

Simple suggestion;

Summon Soul can be cast quite frivolously without any consequence other than high favor cost. I suggest we up the difficulty to something a little more modest like 30 or 40 and give us a chance to fail the spell completely.

Depending on the level of failure the effects could differ;

A minor failure could result in the summoned player appearing in the new location with a new and uniquely creepy "inside-out" model, Galaxy Quest style.

While a major failure could potentially "shatter" the player killing them instantly and dropping their mangled body at the foot of the caster.

• Like 2

Beam me up scotty! 

It should require some decent channeling to perform it. I don't know if the fail should result in you appearing random? Seems wierd.

I do wan't to be shattered though,. +1

Hard pass. -1

EDIT: Oh screw it, I'm not one to just drop a -1, I hate that crap, even when it's on a suggestion that is clearly - or hopefully - not serious. (I get the premise but the proposal to the problem is poorly thought out, to put it very, very mildly.)

Some more thought out "soft failures" could make it more interesting and perhaps even fun, and still fulfill the function of adding something to consider before casting/accepting a summon...

Loss of accuracy, scaling with distance of the summonee and magnitude of failure, requiring multiple casts and the summonee to be on their guard.

Displacing the caster with negative cast power, or hurting themselves, possibly requiring to heal up before trying again.

Damage summonee or their equipment.

Or drain their hunger/thirst/nutrition because the teleport has thrown them in some fold in the space-time continuum and they were stuck in there for a week while in reality just 1 second passed.

I doubt any of these ideas will see the light of day either and I'd rather not. Except for the "inaccuracy" one all of those still feel entirely punitive without any fun factor in it, but they all pose soft failures that don't make you question whether you want to get summoned at all.

I remain with a -1 on all kinds of failures on this spell, I see no benefit to it. But the "I guess I'll die" option is just incredibly lackluster.

Edited by Flubb

Edited by Niki

niki pls gib detailed response y u be sheep

it's just because I suggested it, isn't it?

implying that you give a damn what I think (like you always do)

Edited by whereami
  • Like 1

Definitely not interested in adding more RNG failures to the game! :P

-snip- Answered an old version of another post.

Edited by Flubb

4 minutes ago, whereami said:

niki pls gib detailed response y u be sheep

implying that you give a damn what I think (like you always do)

had a detailed response but decided against it, notice the edit?

Just now, Flubb said:

Nah, for large gatherings like slayings it's pretty good to be able to get people there quickly actually. I found myself surprised it had no cooldown at all when it was introduced but seeing it in action I think that was for the better.

check my edit

1 minute ago, Niki said:

check my edit

Sorry, had the page open for a while it seems before I got around to squeezing a post in.

The main reason I made the suggestion at all is that to me, as is, Summon Soul is yet another one of those Easy-Mode changes that takes away from the harsh grueling world that I once knew as Wurm.

Specifically if you couple this spell with a high level insanity character, I get a random teleport once every hour that I can use to go hunting without ever leaving my house. I have a Recall Home I can use, a Karma Teleport, as well as now being able to run a naked priest alt anywhere and summon my main character there...

It's just a lot of teleporting in a world where I thought the general idea was that you CANT TELEPORT? Like we have boats and horses for a reason. I used to like the fact that if I wanted to GO somewhere I actually had to set time aside and put effort into getting there, cause it wasn't as simple as teleporting...

I remember the absolute conniption that was thrown when karma porting was introduced, and some people still swear by it as one of the best/worst additions to the game in many years. (TC claims it was the reason MR botched three of their kingdoms on Chaos, go figure. (JK, TDL, and Macedon))

(it couldn't have been because we had over 200 members, now could it...)

Edited by whereami
  • Like 2

At worst the failed summon should just bring a powerful hellish creature like a hell hound, lava fiend with a trait like hardened, champ etc to the summoner.  Summon magic failure making the summoned person wish he never started playing this game is not a very nice approach.

3 minutes ago, whereami said:

The main reason I made the suggestion at all is that to me, as is, Summon Soul is yet another one of those Easy-Mode changes that takes away from the harsh grueling world that I once knew as Wurm.

Specifically if you couple this spell with a high level insanity character, I get a random teleport once every hour that I can use to go hunting without ever leaving my house. I have a Recall Home I can use, a Karma Teleport, as well as now being able to run a naked priest alt anywhere and summon my main character there...

It's just a lot of teleporting in a world where I thought the general idea was that you CANT TELEPORT? Like we have boats and horses for a reason. I used to like the fact that if I wanted to GO somewhere I actually had to set time aside and put effort into getting there, cause it wasn't as simple as teleporting...

I remember the absolute conniption that was thrown when karma porting was introduced, and some people still swear by it as one of the best/worst additions to the game in many years. (TC claims it was the reason MR botched three of their kingdoms on Chaos, go figure. (JK, TDL, and Macedon))

It's QoL one of the better ones in the past 5 years. The game has shifted to a mage meta now. I'd personally appreciate more content like that to make this game less of a chore to play.

Summon soul doesn't work on chaos, and karma has a ton of restrictions with enemy's being in local.

30 minutes ago, Niki said:

It's QoL one of the better ones in the past 5 years. The game has shifted to a mage meta now. I'd personally appreciate more content like that to make this game less of a chore to play.

Summon soul doesn't work on chaos, and karma has a ton of restrictions with enemy's being in local.

Lol, you act like on chaos it is not easy to run out of local and poof you are gone because of karma or insanity. 

Oh and +1 to making it more difficult to cast. 

I am not a fan of any of the "easy mode" changes. I have not been playing this game long enough to know all the changes, but just the time I have been playing. It has become to easy alot of ways. 

39 minutes ago, EvaDaly said:

Lol, you act like on chaos it is not easy to run out of local and poof you are gone because of karma or insanity. 

Oh and +1 to making it more difficult to cast. 

I am not a fan of any of the "easy mode" changes. I have not been playing this game long enough to know all the changes, but just the time I have been playing. It has become to easy alot of ways. 

I haven't seen you pvp in a very long time and when you did you never left deed. Have you tested this thoroughly Eva especially nowadays?

Respectfully, I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Also I'm not trying to sound rude, but it's not exactly 'easy' to escape. I would like Wurm more difficult also but there are other ways to do that. I rather have returning players not quit within the first hour, plenty of people are using summon soul to help returning players to join deeds.

Edited by Niki

ok... uh.... anyway.... 

I think summon soul doesn't need a chance to fail.  What it DOES need, is a much much longer cooldown.  I'm thinking 3 hours.

10 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

ok... uh.... anyway.... 

I think summon soul doesn't need a chance to fail.  What it DOES need, is a much much longer cooldown.  I'm thinking 3 hours.

No it doesn't read Flubb's post. Oh appears he edited it, well he was responding to my 5min suggestion which I changed after I thought about it. 

Edited by Niki

is ok as is, difficulty doesn't change anything because the end result is the same, and cooldowns just favor those with more priest alts

summon soul allows more inclusion in events/gatherings, which is a good thing for the game

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Niki said:

No it doesn't read Flubb's post. Oh appears he edited it, well he was responding to my 5min suggestion which I changed after I thought about it. 

Yeah, sorry for that mess, I just thought it would be unfair to address a retracted point.

Gary basically just (re)iterated what I said then with the second line. Saw it in action in public slayings (and used it to summon people myself), has a pretty positive effect really and a cooldown would just needlessly hamper that benefit.

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

She's a better PvPer than you will ever be.   

Gold MUAHAHAHA

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

I'm thinking 3 hours.

No...  No you're not.

-1 to this anyway

I think it SHOULD be locked behind a channeling wall though....