Sign in to follow this  
Titanius

Tips - Ramping up mind logic

Here's a little tip for quickly racking-up mind logic.  This is useful for new players who want to reach 20.1 mind logic so they can command a large cart, for example.

Tracking: Click on a nearby tile or the one you're standing on and hit "track" again and again.  Each tracking action takes about 12 seconds.  I've been averaging 1 increase to mind logic out of every 3 trackings, or let's say 1 every 36 seconds, or say 2 per minute rounded off.  Each successful tracking increased my mind logic by about 0.000195 (it varies from as low as 0.000190 to as high as 0.000200).  Rounded off, this gives us about 0.000200 mind logic increase every half minute, or 0.000400 each minute or so.  If you maxed out your mind logic at 20 while non-primium, then paid your premium, and are now gunning for that extra 0.1 mind logic so you can reach 20.1 to command a large cart (like I'm doing), you will need 500 successful trackings, or about 250 minutes, to gain that 0.1 in mind logic, which is a little more than 4 hours.  (I believe that if you are currently well below 20 mind logic, each successful tracking will give you less than 0.000200.  But the increase will itself increase as you go.  I'm not 100% sure on that, though.)

Digging: Digging is another way to increase mind logic, but I have been gaining only 0.000050 on each dig, which is about 1/4 what you get from tracking.  However, if you stand on a flat tile, you can "level" an adjacent tile and score automatic digs that take only 5 seconds each, regardless of how tired your stamina bar is.  Normally, each individual dig will take something like 10 seconds, then 15 seconds, then 20 seconds and then quit until your stamina bar reloads.  But with "level", the digs are automatically every 5 seconds, even as your stamina bar drops you still get a dig every 5 seconds.  When your stamina depletes completely, the leveling stops.  You wait until your stamina bar reloads, then hit "level" again, and you're set for another dozen or so digs at 5 second intervals.  At this rate, your mind logic increases approximately 1 out of 3 digs, or 1 every 15 seconds, or 4 per minute.  This increases your mind logic by about 0.000200 every minute (4 x 0.000050).  So with digging you are gaining mind logic at about half the rate as with tracking, and would take about 8 hours of non-stop "levelling" to jump from 20.0 to 20.1.  But of course, you get to build body strength by digging too, so there are other benefits.  And you get to accumulate dirt which you can use on your settlement.

Other ways to increase mind logic are through mining, crafting and cooking.  But I haven't measured those rates.  Maybe if someone has time, they might run some tests there and add their findings to this post for a comparison table.

Happy mind building, everyone!

Edited by Titanius

Panfilling/HFC seems to be the fastest way to get ML, but imping arrows via logs also seems good, since as I recall, you can get two ML ticks per imp (use a crate/BSB to keep the arrows needing log to imp).

One of the fastest ways to get Mind Logic up for new toons is the Archaeology sub-skill Restoration.

Keep a supply of unidentified fragments in case a you (or a friend) need to get a toon to 20.1 ML quickly.

Restoration works almost as fast on Body Control too, so you can use the same method to get to 21 BC to ride a horse.

If your toon gets lucky with a rare roll and gets a nice rare fragment, this can potentially also offset the 2s first time premium.

As well as that, it's one of the most enjoyable hobbies for anyone. :) 

Edited by Muse

Indeed archeology and restoration are among the best ML grinds - with that nice benefit of Body Control for riding. Much less manual work than cooking and also you need less mats than for filling frying pans.