Sign in to follow this  
hetul

How do you think the wurm population could recover?

@MataleaoI agree cooking overhaul was great but was also great imbalanced fail that lost sense as soon as people discovered they could just make ludicrous pizzas with 10+h timers for every affinity easily calculated and no one ever bothered with cooking anything else beside maybe few roleplaying enthusiastic peeps...Loot recepie lost any sense, as well as most of beverages. Also agree that similar overhaul for alchemy would be great, and even better with new glassmaking skill, but needs to be done smarter...

As for instances nobody is looking for new wow. Instances just have huge benefits over hardcore openworld play in terms of avialability if you have somewhat normal life with work family etc and can play only few hours a day at specific time you don't need to feel left out and adjust your life to wurm. Wurm should always adjust to your life. That's the main point for me that people don't want to invest in playing...

Changes with 24h window on rites were changes in right direction regarding that..

Edited by kochinac
  • Like 2

I'm a new player (about 3 weeks or so) and, quite frankly, I didn't like the game at first.  For that matter, I'm still not sure whether I like it or not.  Click and wait 10-20s, repeat, repeat, repeat.  Can't even queue things up because the loss of stamina makes the 2nd and 3rd attempts take 2-3x as long.  Then, the first time I left the training area, I was killed by a Hell Hound while still in town.  I didn't know the name of the starter town and ended up resurrecting in The Howl.  I went online to figure out where I was and where my corpse was.  I died on the way but had nothing left to lose and resurrected in HL.  The Hell Hound was camping my body so I logged off in disgust and didn't plan to play again.  However, there were some things I did like (more or less in order): (1) runs natively in Linux, (2) skills increase with use, (3) can make progress even if you only have a few minutes to play, (4) persistent accomplishments, and (5) no hyperinflation.  So I decided to give it another chance.

I suppose advertising will help some, but if the initial experience is not fun, people aren't going to stay.  It seems like the attitude here is to make the initial experience as difficult as possible so those who stay won't complain about the grind later on.  Remember the old saying about first impressions.  My (1) above is the main reason I decided to try again but that will apply to very few people.  My suggestions for improving that initial experience would be (again, more or less in order):

(1) Nothing aggressive should spawn or visit a starter town that a new character cannot kill.  However, there should be some rats, chickens, or something that they can kill.  I like the Elder Scrolls games where there are guards patrolling the main highways and towns are completely safe--enter the wilderness at your own risk.  I like the old Asheron's Call model where spawns got progressively harder as you moved away from town.  I still haven't found anything other than cows and chickens that I can kill on the first attempt and often run into instant death spawns while looking for cows or chickens.

(2) I think the initial 24 hr skill bonus should either reduce time taken as well or negate much of the stamina penalty.  This is still the main thing I don't like about the game--that queuing something 3 times takes many times longer than doing the task 3 times waiting for stamina to return.  An option to automatically rest until stamina has recovered between attempts would be enough to make me like this game much more.

(3) I don't know what the solution is, but there needs to be some way for lower skilled players to make money.  I have yet to find a vendor that will buy anything I can make.  Selling to a token is ridiculously time consuming.  There's already a per hour limit, why not let me sell it all at once?  Fear of abuse?  Anti-macroing?  I understand.  Then make the time spent and/or amount limit inversely related to time online (Edit: time spent directly related, IOW, if you're online for a long time, it takes longer to sell.  I probably need to think about the amount limit but the idea was if a person was online for a very long time, the limit should be more restrictive.).  If I only have a few minutes to play, I don't want to spend it on 3+s per iron at a token.

That's my 2c worth from a total newbie's perspective.

As for some of the other suggestions, I have wondered if there could be more than just f2p and premium.  I do think that the game is too expensive for a niche game.  I like the DDO model with 3 levels, f2p, Premium, and VIP.  Their VIP is more or less equivalent to Wurm's Premium.  Their Premium kicks in if you spend any real money on the game at all.  So, even something as simple as--if you buy anything at the store, the 20 skill limit is removed--might help.  Or, bump the limit up by 10 for every purchase?

Edited by Tuxro
Clarification
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, gabars said:

I'm sorry but I hope none of that comes true.

Tbh if anyone is able to efficiently use 5 toons at the same time without macroing, let them.

and then ring of bulk makers are banned again...

Wurm is a free market, always has been. That means there is no "standard" price is for bricks or any other item. Just like IRL, when the supply is higher than the demand, sellers drop their prices because they want you to buy from them rather than their competitors.

IRL, raw materials are made to export principaly, here arent foreign countries so all going to inside population, so IRL model dont apply to wurm.

And new players get a referral, that can get them a small deed and a few months of upkeep. 

not all the time, i bet new players will try the game with 2s prem so no referal for them...

I've never been on a unique hunt. I don't think it would be fair for me to get any of the loot just for being logged in at the right time. It could be based on participation like rifts though.

read the drama at forums and in suggestions. participation sound good, but most of unique are trapped by the same people only a few made public they keep monopolizing good drops, random global drops will prevent this.

Just no.

why not? economy is dead, more 90+ skill toons in weapon smithing will dont change anything, and not everybody can play 24/7

• Like 1

@Tuxro: Thanks for your elaborate description of a newcomer experience. I feel that there should be a distinct thread or category in forums where newcomers could publish such reports.

As to your encounter with the hell hound: That was utter tough luck, sorry for that. I have a test alt at Haven's Landing I am toying with from time to time to explore the region and the newcomer experience (playing my main char less than 1.5yrs I am still much of a noob after all), and that one did not even meet a hostile mob yet though he has wandered to both shores north and west of HL. But a hell hound is tough, fast in pursuit, and makes a lot of damage, often kills even the more experienced. In vicinity to a guard tower, you could have said "help" or "guards!" in local chat to get the tower guards to attack the mob, or enter HL proper, then the Spirit Templar guards should act.

The respawn window after death indeed is in dear need of an overhaul. It is even worse on Xanadu with 9 starter towns, which means 18 entries (town+outside town), not just 4. Practically every newcomer misclicks the spawn location. I have no clear idea how to improve it, but something should be done about. I disagree, though, that nothing aggressive should spawn around newcomer locations. Learning to deal with agro is crucial in Wurm, such as running back into the city first (or riding a cow back there if available) or calling the tower guards for help. And with the starter equipment, wolves can be soloed even at a very early stage, so can all non agressive creatures if one does not despise a "war" on chickens, sheep, cattle, and horses.

As to the ingame money: selling to the settlement token may seem boring to you. You may create a keybind (hit F1 for console, then enter: bind <key to choose, e.g. alt+s> SELL) which makes it faster, and it is a great way to dispose of unneeded stuff, and getting a few irons for. I always sold my crafting and mining scrap to that token, having a small but steady income.

Sometimes, your selling is rewarded by a "rare coin" (the rarity does not matter here) of the value between 1 copper and 1 silver, typically 5c or 20c quite often. Same goes for killing, burying corpses, and finding during foraging and botanizing. This activity, forage/botanize, should become a habit, as it provides with cookables like crops, herbs, spices, and other potentially useful stuff such as branches (for creating a shaft, a kindling for campfire etc.) and iron rocks (can be molten into some iron), and produces "rare coins" relatively often. I earned 11 silver in my first 40 days of basic account playing mainly that way enabling me to do my first month of premium without any RL cash. During your crafting etc. you will produce rare or even better (supreme etc.) stuff part of it may be sold to other players over trade chat.

As to Wurm being expensive, I cannot see that. A 1yr subscription is 80euro or 89USD so 6.7€ or 7.4$ per month, initial month either 2 silver, or 10s/8€/9$ plus a "referral" worth 6-7s or used to extend playtime for another month or so. I do not see many games in that price range. Additionally, you may use ingame money earned to extend your sub. I made over 1 gold in my first year, spending some of it for my deed and upkeep, for hiring priests for my mine work etc. still holding not few of it for further activities. I could play on for over a year without any outside payment. Many players found business niches so that they can go on playing "for free" (in fact it is ingame work of course).

And yes, the fast loss of stamina in the beginning is bit hard. But mind how steep the learning curve is in the beginning. It is not easy to balance all that out.

I hope you will go on playing Wurm, and that we may possibly meet in the future. Have a look out for community events like "impalongs" for improvements of your gear/toolset and community experience in the upcoming seasons.

Edited by Ekcin
typo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

As to the ingame money: selling to the settlement token may seem boring to you. You may create a keybind (hit F1 for console, then enter: bind <key to choose, e.g. alt+s> SELL)

Even with that it's kind of a pita really. There's no good reason not to provide a bulk sell option, it's only tedium either way. It's better when you can make higher QL stuff, I regularly sell my healing covers from my NS grind. Hitting the 5c limit is far easier this way, though it's mostly item disposal for me. Maxing out on your hourly limit as a newbie is way harder, which is ironically counterproductive because those are the people who may have to rely stronger on selling to the token.

while i do not have premium i did just throw another gold into the upkeep, i love that i can come back even a year later an find my lil piece of e-land that i can transform to my hearts content. there is a lot of story behind it and its taken a few years to expand it to such a size but i am in it for the long haul.

after 6 months on inde i was dismayed from finding out that uniques did'nt respawn and i had missed out on that experience of the game, back when we all had the same model and no animations, and pristine did'nt even exist yet

i would almost like to see a time laps of wurms in-game improvements like a 50's black and white to a 90's modern color montage not only how much the game has changed in the last 10 years but i would like to see time lapses of map dumps as well showing how the game is all about change and creating and growing and sort of make that connection between the development of the game and the development of the society within the game, and then being able to create the game yourself with wu and change it and see how that changes the players and creating of society within it, i don't think any other game has given us the freedom to create so much and become so immersed as Wurm.

the thing that really got me hooked was being part of a new isolated island and that was pristine, being in the great rush of a fresh world is really fun, kinda got that pioneer feeling like it was really medieval times.

but don't wait for a new island, join Wurm today! your going to be here for like 10 years anyways! 

Disclaimer if you survive the first 48 hours of game play cc is not responsible for any dreams you may start having about wurm online or you suddenly referencing your whole life to how things work in wurm, cc does not condone any wanton use of wogic or its counterparts, if your eyes start bleeding turn off your monitor and seek medical attention , do not try to use random mushrooms and herbs you found in the grass to fix your eyes.

• Like 5

On 3/27/2019 at 8:42 PM, tamat said:

new players only have 2 ways of make money for deeds or prem, buy it at webshop and make bulk items, but how compete againts a guy with 5 toons, 3 mining and 2 cutting bricks, also selling below the "standard" price?
fixed price for bulk or at least suggested

I'm pretty sure government-set pricing didn't work out so well for Venezuela and friends...

The point of wo isn't to be able to buy your premium with in-game coin, that's a bonus.  Selling junk to tokens is supposed to be hard and dull.  CC are a commercial company (albeit one that relies on a lot of volunteers), and they make money from people buying silver, so it's nice that they give us some options to not pay real money for playing (which reduce their income), but that's not supposed to be the pinnacle of game play.  As a new player, you should expect to pay money for your premium; it's possible to do it with in-game cash, but that's dull, and will leave you burned out.  You can try the game for free, but that's only a trial - wurm is free to try, not free to play. 

Too many new players are sucked in by the promise of being able to pay for the game with in-game actions, and that shouldn't be what wurm is about.

40 minutes ago, Aum said:

Disclaimer if you survive the first 48 hours of game play cc is not responsible for any dreams you may start having about wurm online or you suddenly referencing your whole life to how things work in wurm, cc does not condone any wanton use of wogic or its counterparts, if your eyes start bleeding turn off your monitor and seek medical attention , do not try to use random mushrooms and herbs you found in the grass to fix your eyes.

This made me laugh - I still remember my first few months of wurm, getting distracted by flowers on the verge while driving...

Edited by Wonka
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Aum said:

while i do not have premium i did just throw another gold into the upkeep, i love that i can come back even a year later.....

First - to hear you're not even prem'd right now is like o.o
Second - I agree. This game still has its appeal year after year even if you aren't actively playing. Your disclaimer is spot on. lol

Hearing the players experience of the hell hound reminds me of my first time coming into this game. I was wrecked by a freaking troll and spider just venturing away from Ultimarus shortly after Elwood took a buddy of mine and I in. We were instantly picked up by him, then we were instantly destroyed by spiders and trolls when we ventured from safety. We quit.

Many... Many... Many... Years later... Im still logging on even if its just to browse the forums or to login my characters to say hi to friends.

The new player experience in this game does suck ass but make it past that and well.. See Aums disclaimer. lol So well put Aum.

• Like 1

I chose to switch from WO to WU because I prefer to play on a server where I can make money from various trades and focus on doing what I truly enjoy - rather than just mass producing bricks, etc. It also feels nice to start off on a server where everyone is on the same level and can progress together, rather than being the only newbie among established players who have maxed out their skills.

• Like 2

@Ekcin: Thanks for the feedback.  Just a few points:

"I disagree, though, that nothing aggressive should spawn around newcomer locations."  Actually, you misquoted me.  The rest of the sentence: "...that the newcomer cannot kill."  Not necessarily even on first attempt.  But no matter how many times I resurrected I probably could not have killed that Hell Hound.  I wish there were a few rats (supposedly these exist in the game; I've never seen one) and wolves around HL.  As for the guards, I didn't know about "help" and actually did lead it to the guards and wondered why they just stood there and watched me die.  Heh, I can laugh about it now, but it was extremely frustrating at the time.

I wasn't aware that rares could happen while selling.  That's good to know.  But I've sold quite a few flowers (usually give more than 1 iron) and not gotten any.  I have gotten a few rare coins while foraging, even a silver once.  As for crafting, I've gotten rare kindling and a rare stone shard.  Woohoo!

I guess I see it as expensive because it only applies to a single char.  I'd like to have a char specialized in fighting, one in cooking, one in blacksmithing, etc.  A jack of all trades, master of none, is kind of boring.  Allow 4 chars and I'll agree that the subscription is reasonable.

18 minutes ago, Neema said:

I chose to switch from WO to WU because I prefer to play on a server where I can make money from various trades and focus on doing what I truly enjoy - rather than just mass producing bricks, etc. It also feels nice to start off on a server where everyone is on the same level and can progress together, rather than being the only newbie among established players who have maxed out their skills.

I can truly say that I never produced a single brick for the market, though several thousand for guard towers, and that before there was a journal goal for building another one.

I don't really see a need to "make money" other than for a limited set of things such as paying upkeep, hire a priest, buying a horse (which is dead cheap), a rune for the pick, and maybe extending the deed a little bit.

But sure, in WU everybody can build their own world. Playing together will be even harder unless you find enough people for.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ekcin said:

@Tuxro:

The respawn window after death indeed is in dear need of an overhaul. It is even worse on Xanadu with 9 starter towns, which means 18 entries (town+outside town), not just 4. Practically every newcomer misclicks the spawn location. I have no clear idea how to improve it, but something should be done about.

Preventing the misclick is easy. Have the closest location to body be first option. Have all options show the relative distance to corpse.

Edited by aleios
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Tuxro said:

I guess I see it as expensive because it only applies to a single char.  I'd like to have a char specialized in fighting, one in cooking, one in blacksmithing, etc.  A jack of all trades, master of none, is kind of boring.  Allow 4 chars and I'll agree that the subscription is reasonable.

I like this, because I feel Wurm's slow gameplay lends itself well to a squad-based style (like Kenshi, where you assign toons to something boring, and then go out and fight with other toons).

2 hours ago, aleios said:

Preventing the misclick is easy. Have the closest location to body be first option. Have all options show the relative distance to corpse.

This is brilliant! 

Ok, been thinking about this for a few days and the best i can come up with is the following. Since the biggest hurdle for pop growth

seems to be player retention, and we always hear the same complains from newer players, then why not isolate a solution for those complaints

to a new player experience that doesn't affect the older more established players.

How? Perhaps, by making a new server island designed for new players. No deed dropping permitted, mobs with limited cr, say up to bears, so no

spawning of hell hounds gators snakes spiders or trolls, etc. Only people with a max amount of skills or skills limited to a max of lets say 50 can gain skills there.

And if more than 5 skills are above 50 then stop gaining altogether. They could either spawn there or travel there if below the skill limit.

Name the server something obvious so that new players know that its an easier server (examples: Genesis, Newbie Island), and give option to spawn at other servers

for more experienced players or any players who dont want to spawn there. Make it a small server so they can easily find each other, and their way around.

And lastly maybe  reset that server every year or two or not, i like looting old deeds but other people like the smell of a new server. Would also have global chat

and trade chats etc, like a normal server. Of course if a new player wants to spawn in an older server they could do so also.

disclaimer: just suggestions trying to answer the op.

• Like 6

There's epic, if people wanted vast lands to walk/run around.. that's there, whole cluster, pve/pvp, we see how many chose to play there.

I don't think new playground/server/ for newbies is going to help, as for new players they shouldn't care where the .. they start.. they come to play wurm for the sandbox experience(guessing.. can't imagine the Ad.. "come play on your special derpy low skilled server, where everyone is bad skilled, and you could feel at home.. at least until you move to the real world with much skilled players where your great 5x 50 skills mean nothing - enjoy!")

Harsh? No.. after all that will be the feel once you realize you're playing on the carebear corner of the world.. before moving to the real cluster of your choosing epic/freedom... where your skills are again insignificant.

IMO.. use that S.Jobs line ' ..you always connect the dots backwards..': 

WHY do people leave?

What could be fixed?

What could be improved?

What is currently pissing off the player base?

What can we do about that *now* for the current problems? What does the game lack to lure new/bigger auditory?

Can we afford to scale in this/that direction, and how fast?

Not knowing and not working for the issues which drive people away.. is the reason ads wont keep new people around for long either.

We were waiting for the new tutorial, and now we mostly read - 'how to skip/exit/quit the tutorial??'(something there's still not so intuitive for some)

Every other month some old account is on the trade section.. selling out and moving to WU or another game, accounts being around for years before.

** many return to the game because of their friends here, once most of them sell out to randoms.. that wont be so much of a trend and even less will start to return.

MAYBE, maybe.. we need a questionnaire to see who likes what and what they do not like with the current state, what they look forward to, and so on, take it a year or two back, see how the players react to each change over time.. figure if actually some of what was done had the value that was intended.

No doubt wurm an unique product we like for our own reason(this varies for everyone), but there's also bunch of things we keep getting pissed off about on a daily basis.

Current dream we're waiting is UI 2.0 or whatever it's called.

Edited by Finnn

Theres actually a precedent for what im proposing, it was in Freedom, and it was the login server that existed for many years.

But it was closed to outsiders and discontinued, but coveted by people, to the  extent that toons there were sometimes sold

for a pretty penny. Im not suggesting the same thing, but something along the same lines. and people who had toons there,

when they leveled up and left never once complained about playing on a "derpy low skilled level server". I think max skill was 20.

Im not saying to repeat it exactly, but something similar more open, and connected etc.

Can  I guarantee it will work? Of course not, but it would negate complains from many beginners that they die too fast etc.

1. Advertise

2. Advertise

3. Advertise!

I always find it funny and can't help but laugh when the devs, especially dear Retrogarde comes into these threads where people complain about the lack of advertisement, and tells us that it is in the works. Yes we know. You've already said that last year, and the year before, and before. Facebook adverts, WU deals, putting WU on front page of steam, PCGamer or RPS articles sure do take years and years don't they? Yes, we know you can't disclose what is being """"""planned"""""" But it's ok, we know that Wurm devs cannot discuss anything with anyone.  Shame that.  I would have loved to hear what is being done or what has been done over the years since you first started telling us that advertisements are coming. Maybe in Wurm 3.0? Could be another forgotten or cut feature like cloaks that we last heard about in 2012 when they added the current character window. Secrecy, lack of communication, lack of advertisements have been plaguing this game since it's inception. And until those things are solved, Wurm will always remain right here where it is now and the player count will remain what it is now. 

Anyway as someone who have been playing this game since early 2010, the game has greatly improved and made better (in most aspects) yet lost massive amounts of players at the same time in the process. Here are the issues that are wrong and could be improved upon without sacrificing the core game itself and turning it into WoW.

No, we do not need a completely new Wurm.

No we do not need to rewrite the game in another language.

Yes we could use an improvement to the API. 

Yes we could still use some UI improvements but it's getting there.

Yes the game will be always niche at the core, it's why we love it, it's why there are people still playing after 10 plus years, and why it's others hate it at the same time.

In the end it's all about the grind.

Once you get past the initial "survival" part of the game, (let's be honest, these days there are hardly any survival elements left compared to when i started) that people like the most, and is the most engaging part of the game, and when you finally build up a small mine and your house and cart, possibly even make a deed, you will quickly run out of "fun" things to do.

Now of course, it's not fun getting lost and eaten by hostile creatures and wildlife, especially if they camp your corpse or you don't know anything about the game. This is a huge issue for a completely new player, as a few quick deaths can instantly make someone close the game and never turn it on again. Believe it or not, a solution to this problem was already implemented when i started 9 years ago. It's called: Golden Valley

Yet the devs refuse to do anything with it for some reason that is not disclosed to the public.

Now Golden Valley was far from perfect, but it was the right idea, a step in the right direction. A tiny, server where everyone started, where the strongest mob was a wild cat or a cave bug and you couldn't really get that lost as there were signs everywhere and the whole server was made to teach newbies how to survive and play and was relatively well maintained. While the current tutorial (something that did not exist when Golden Valley was the starting server) teaches new players how to play, and the basics of the game, it does nothing more and the player is left just as clueless afterwards on regarding how everything in the game world works. Re implementing Golden Valley, or even a different server, where new characters must start first before they can head to any of the other servers would greatly improve player retention and their first impressions of the game. Players should have the option to leave the server if they wish immediately without having to pay for premium and it should have no restrictions like Golden Valley did regarding skills, structure decay and some other minor things. If people want to settle and live there full time, then they should be free to do so and also come and go between servers as they please.

Starting with something like this would be a massive step in the right direction.

Adding more bonuses, buffs, items, whatever else that new players have received over the years hardly solves the core issue that new players experience. 

Edited by nitram20
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, Griffith said:

Theres actually a precedent for what im proposing, it was in Freedom, and it was the login server that existed for many years.

But it was closed to outsiders and discontinued, but coveted by people, to the  extent that toons there were sometimes sold

for a pretty penny. Im not suggesting the same thing, but something along the same lines. and people who had toons there,

when they leveled up and left never once complained about playing on a "derpy low skilled level server". I think max skill was 20.

Im not saying to repeat it exactly, but something similar more open, and connected etc.

Can  I guarantee it will work? Of course not, but it would negate complains from many beginners that they die too fast etc.

Add more guard towers around starting towns.. or change AI to not come close 3-500 tiles around starting towns.

1 dies - gets a tip @ca-help to not leave that area until they feel ready, ez pz

Throwing them into the fight early will learn them to play the game better than changing the difficulty in several stages 1 or more..

People living in haven? did you have a highlighted road(paving) leading to portal, something making it look like starting the game begins there? Or perhaps they had a world to experience there and they decided to try it there.. had already built and made items etc..which they didn't want to split with.. etc.

Alts who some made and did grind some skills just to offer and sell to other new players.. eww, hope I don't know people who did that.

But yea, I could be wrong also.

On 3/28/2019 at 3:41 PM, tamat said:

and then ring of bulk makers are banned again...

Why would they get banned? Unless they're macroing, but I didn't imply that.

IRL, raw materials are made to export principaly, here arent foreign countries so all going to inside population, so IRL model dont apply to wurm.

Yes they do. Foreign countries aren't magical item sinks that endlessly pay for whatever you want to sell them. Supply and demand works no matter how big or small the economy is. 

If someone buys materials from you, it means they've either bought silver or sold other items/services before. Somewhere down the line, someone had to buy silver before you could try to earn it, don't take them for granted. ("You" the reader, not just Tamat)

why not? economy is dead, more 90+ skill toons in weapon smithing will dont change anything, and not everybody can play 24/7

Keeping the game fair has nothing to do with the economy. An update that would reduce the time and effort to reach the same levels other people have already achieved by half would be everything but fair.

Also, the economy isn't dead, there are plenty of people selling and buying high end items and services. The materials market is saturated, and making it that much easier to reach high levels would destroy the rest of the economy. Why pay others when you can do everything yourself?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, gabars said:

An update that would reduce the time and effort to reach the same levels other people have already achieved by half would be everything but fair.

Your worst fears have already been realized my dude - The Epic <> Freedom transfers happened months ago.

Also, the economy isn't dead, there are plenty of people selling and buying high end items and services. The materials market is saturated, and making it that much easier to reach high levels would destroy the rest of the economy. Why pay others when you can do everything yourself?

Every market is oversaturated though, not just the materials market man. Tools market, Rares market, Tomes market, That's what you're conveniently leaving out. That's why it takes some of these people who are selling high end goods that you mention weeks if not months to clean out their stock, if they ever sell it all - at 2/3rds to 1/2 the price it would have gone for ~4-5 years ago. In the cases of rare tools, things like rare chisels and hammers used to sell for 8 to 10 silver. I sell them now for 2 to 3 silver a piece, and I'm not even close to the first one to do this as a service. If every market is oversaturated like that, this causes a deflation spiral which will inevitably ruin any economy. This is why you are seeing falling prices on everything from rares to silver itself - I see people selling silver at a 0.9-0.8 EUR / 1 Silver rate now, previously unheard of.

Supply well exceeds demand at this point, and thats because a lot of people as mentioned by the OP have left the game and sold on their items, because there are no proper sinks for them. Thusly there is currently enough "high-end" (and everything underneath) items for a population of what we used to have, but the population that exists is a third the size.

Edited by whereami

On 3/24/2019 at 7:56 PM, Retrograde said:

We actually are working on setting up some advertising! It's still in the works but hopefully some results will come of it.

We're also focusing on retention as well, and looking at some things that promote ongoing gameplay, like rifts and archaeology do. Something to do when not grinding for skill alone. 

Cya in 3 years

• Like 2

You want easy, cheap retention?  Start players off with the ability to ride a cart.  This would be a great opportunity to add the 1-horse carriage, something with the build difficulty of the small cart but a bit more capacity...... give starting players a rope and keep a decent stable of wild horses penned at the start deeds.  Set up (if they don't exist) a well-signaled public mine near the spawn deeds and make sure there are some trees for cart making.  Maybe a change (or highly visible clarification) to the "you need a mallet to start making smithing tools" conundrum.

Wurm "survival" isn't that big a deal, many games do THAT way way better.  Wurm's more of a settling and building game.... I mean, towers and templars aren't really a survival game thing.

4 hours ago, hetul said:

A golden valley-esque starting server might be a good idea

When I first started Wurm there was barely a tutorial - Just a couple windows that came up and showed you your keys, maybe a tar mound you had to climb over. I still loved it, and obviously unlike most newer players, I'm still here.

Golden Valley was easily one of the best ideas Wurm ever had implemented, and was by far some of the most fun time I have ever spent in Wurm to this day.

Being full of freebie players, the server was always kind of screwed up, but I found that charming. It was what I expected of a freebies-only server. And the fact that I was around other, new, free players learning the game alongside them was incredibly fun.

You already subliminally had a goal for yourself the moment you set foot there - Become premium and emmigrate to Independance (then just called Freedom since it was the only server)

I forget the reason this ENTIRE IDEA was scrapped but basically they wanted to reduce server overhead and integrate free players into the general population.

Now, we can sit here and talk all day about why that's both a bad thing and a good thing, but the way that conversation will end is with more bad than good and just about everyone knows it.

Bringing GV back and making it playable to free-players only, would be one of the best ideas anyone in CCAB has had since Sindusk fixed the decade-old shieldbashing bug.

..and doomed PvP for all eternity... seriously, you might wanna look at that instead of just throwing your hands up and leaving it that way before Chaos becomes another Epic... Oh wait...

EDIT:

port over the chars with all that they can carry to freedom

NO. No items from Epic should EVER be allowed to come to freedom. Our markets are already suffering from you lot being able to port your hundreds of characters over to our servers while retaining 9/10ths of the skill it took you 1/3rd of the time to get in comparison to us.

Edited by whereami
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, whereami said:

EDIT:

NO. No items from Epic should EVER be allowed to come to freedom. Our markets are already suffering from you lot being able to port your hundreds of characters over to our servers while retaining 9/10ths of the skill it took you 1/3rd of the time to get in comparison to us.

look we get it, you don't know how to properly skill a character, its why you've had the same character that you purchased however many years ago and still aren't over 50 body

its okay

edit: aside from making fun of yet another person who doesn't understand the proper ways to skill, i'll add in my 2cents and thats the whole ###### game should just be reset at this point

DW boys

2015 cc rep: we will advertise soon

2015 players: omg thank you so much

2016 cc rep: we will advertise soon

2016 players: omg thank you so much

2017 cc rep: we will advertise soon

2017 players: omg thank you so much

2018 cc rep: we will advertise soon

2018 players: omg thank you so much

2019 cc rep: we will advertise soon

2019 players: omg thank you so much

not much changes eh