Sign in to follow this  
hetul

How do you think the wurm population could recover?

We'll be hitting about 2k premium players around this summer most likely, during the 1.0 peak it was at around 6.3k as comparison.

epic & chaos combined during this period had about 1600 premium players in comparison to todays' 244 premium players, a 6,5X decrease of players on pvp servers

4,6k ish to 2,1k premium players on freedom

567a7766ec.png

premium.png

paying-year.png

Edited by hetul
  • Like 1

With advertisement? Yes. Wihout advertisement? No.

I don't know why some people do not understand that... ?

Edited by Votip
  • Like 9

Def more promo/adv

Even if you promote WU then give a free premium month in WO some will come and go but thats always the way in this niche game.

Run more promo/contest features on the social media sites they currently have.

Adding new and fresh content has been great! Lets kill more bugs and once we move to AWS and we can run snoother lets really ramp up the ad campaigns.  

Happy Wurming :)

put wurm online on steam free-2-play so we can get all the 12 year olds playing

actually advertise for once or somethin idk

• Like 3

We actually are working on setting up some advertising! It's still in the works but hopefully some results will come of it.

We're also focusing on retention as well, and looking at some things that promote ongoing gameplay, like rifts and archaeology do. Something to do when not grinding for skill alone. 

• Like 10

The grind is real.

The cost is real.

The solution is obvious.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

We actually are working on setting up some advertising! It's still in the works but hopefully some results will come of it.

We're also focusing on retention as well, and looking at some things that promote ongoing gameplay, like rifts and archaeology do. Something to do when not grinding for skill alone. 

Celebrate heritage, give us Epic wagons on Freedom through archeology to get all the nostalgic people happy.

• Like 3

The game is doing fine, additional content for the PVE side would help immensely though.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Something as simple as putting some articles on mmorpg.com or similar websites will bring some free advertising. Having someone write artiles and pass it to gaming media websites might be a good thing. You have a community full of creators... its what people in Wurm do. Use it!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Niki said:

The game is doing fine, additional content for the PVE side would help immensely though.

312.jpg

• Like 11

appeal to the chinese wuxia market

-rebrand grinding as 'cultivation'

-introduce martial arts/kung fu

-rework meditation to give spells to everyone

-unique bloods can enhance jewelry to give a temp affinity

u can thank me later

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

312.jpg

looks like he's having dark roast coffee tonight whether he wants to or not.  This hotdog graphic always has me immediately think of capi by association.  He's been known to post this one.

• Like 1

I'm with Oreo - the pop is never gonna recover back to what it was. Too much of the stuff that made this game bearable even fun at times has been taken away in the guise of QOL improvements or "unintentional mechanics" . The game just isn't fun anymore.

• Like 3

Agreed. I want my forges to take 50 minutes to warn up, and I want single-story houses with two wall types, small expensive deeds, no bulk storage, skill decay, lack of key binds, and skill limits to come back.

• Like 15

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Any ETA on this so people who might think about going back to recruiting have time to prepare?

Asking for a friend.

I'm that friend.

Not true I hate myself.

But eh, who am I kidding, I don't know how to keep players around myself appearantly. Kind of hard to figure out why if they don't talk to me though.

• Like 1

its to expensive simple .make bit cheaper .ever played that fun park game .u triple your profits by dropping u price by halve

3 minutes ago, christopher said:

its to expensive simple .make bit cheaper .ever played that fun park game .u triple your profits by dropping u price by halve

Do you really think it's too expensive? It's an interesting way to look at Wurm. People who like and play Wurm a lot...really play Wurm a lot. Let's say 100 hours a month. You can get two months of Wurm for what comes to about $18. That's 9 cents an hour. What's worth more to you: $18, or 200 hours of your life?

This applies to MMOs in general. Pricing is odd.

• Like 1

im fine with it but 16 ero plus 3 for my place a mth in aust dollars is 30 dollars ish .   kids    wanna play but u are taking them     out of it    . and the more who play the more fun and run amok the atmosphere .

39 minutes ago, christopher said:

im fine with it but 16 ero plus 3 for my place a mth in aust dollars is 30 dollars ish .   kids    wanna play but u are taking them     out of it    . and the more who play the more fun and run amok the atmosphere .

Enough kids play WoW with a somewhat more expensive subscription, I feel like those whom WO really appeals to that much are here anyway. I don't like generalising tastes of "kids" and "adults" but I'm inclined to guess that even without the price hurdle it won't be for most of them just gameplay wise. It's also entirely possible that many just don't know about WO and default to bigger name MMOs, so I'm a bit stoked for some actual exposure for WO.

Then again, I avoided all Pay to Play like the plague until I started earning my own money, including WoW (at least the Blizzard realms.)

The whole cost factor discussions seems finecky and based on conjecture on both sides (I'm at fault here, too, I know.), would be nice if we had surveys/polls providing some data.

But in any case, I think the goal shouldn't be about making the game cheaper, and instead more worthwhile paying for.

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 2

Stop updating Wurm Online and Unlimited, put all resources into remaking the game from scratch. Designed using modern understanding and keeping it bare bones (no theme park).

When your product is inferior the only way to get people to buy it again is by getting a new product through re-branding the same inferior product or via a new product that's superior to its predecessor. Wurm is not a widely known game but it's known enough to have had it's reputation damaged as everyone I've spoken to that has heard of it says the same thing, it's dated and takes no skill. Long gone are the days where game play was king, now days it's all about bling and hype regardless of game play and we live in a generation where gamer's want instant gratification, straight to the fun bits, there is no journey. Thanks to streaming if your game isn't fun to watch someone else being successful/terrible at it then it's not a popular game and if games aren't popular they are uncool and have a stigma associated with them.

We Wurmians are a niche, by putting Wurm into the cross hairs of reviewers and streamers to take a dump on will only damage the game further. One way to bypass this is to present them with a new game, one they can't dismiss as being dated because it'll be brand new, unknown and exciting which will create hype and with lots of hype, even shite games will succeed for a time so a remade, polished Wurm will be good for another 16 years no problem.

Remaking would solve a lot of the problem encountered from old code where we hear the devs say '"Can't do that because of the way it's coded" and similar statements to that effect. Through no fault of Rolf, he did his best and he did great but as far as Wurm evolution goes there has to be a point where a restart is the better choice, not dissimilar to our map resets. Once we get past a certain point it becomes more hassle to try and fix the damage done to the map then it would be to remake it, it's the same for the code base. We take what has been learned and apply it to a new version.

So in my opinion the only way to save Wurm is to let it die and be reborn from the ashes.

• Like 4

A big problem is the client, while there are still people who tell that the client has everything that a solid game engine also provides, it is old and outdated. The usability is horrible, new players often quit within only a hour. Starting this from scratch would be really needed.

Next is the big grindy part which is very unattractive for people in younger age categories, which should be the main target of a game, since there are the most people to collect.

Combat, well it is text based combat, pretty boring.

Edited by Sklo:D