Sign in to follow this  
Gumbo

Independence Went Ka-Boom

22:14 < Keenan> Status update on Independence: The server has become unresponsive to external connection attempts. We are currently waiting on Hetzner to take a look at the system and bring it online.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Hetzner

...sort o rhymes with hamster.

Edited by TeeeBOMB

After 4 hours, real time footage of the Independence server is available.

giphy_1.gif

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 3

It's up.  Thanks guys.  Let's hope it stays up.

Hope they know what went wrong can avoid this futurely (I just made that word up ? )

@Keenandid the server get rolled back? We harvested the whole field last night and today we came back to it to plant it and noticed it is half harvested. What gives?

[14:50:58] <Ilromov> [11:50:52] You managed to get a yield of 6 garlic.

Illromov has 96 farming. We're getting 6 per shot. we're loosing half our harvest. We have raked these fields for every day a week with a rare, runed rake and we usually get 8-10 garlic per field. Its like we never raked them before. Not only did we get rolled back but the tiles got reset?

32 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

@Keenandid the server get rolled back? We harvested the whole field last night and today we came back to it to plant it and noticed it is half harvested. What gives?

Not intentionally rolled back, but there may have been some data that wasn't flushed to disk. The entire system locked up and went unresponsive.

Support tickets and we'll handle things on a case-by-case basis. Or I should say @Enki and his team will. O:) But it sounds like you harvested, and then it wasn't harvested? Wouldn't that mean more items? The tiles wouldn't reset - they'd simply not have a state saved around the time Indy went down. So anything before that wasn't a result of the downtime. It was about 1am EDT when it went down.

3 minutes ago, Keenan said:

Not intentionally rolled back, but there may have been some data that wasn't flushed to disk. The entire system locked up and went unresponsive.

Support tickets and we'll handle things on a case-by-case basis. Or I should say @Enki and his team will. O:) But it sounds like you harvested, and then it wasn't harvested? Wouldn't that mean more items? The tiles wouldn't reset - they'd simply not have a state saved around the time Indy went down. So anything before that wasn't a result of the downtime. It was about 1am EDT when it went down.

We dont remember the amount we had, but off the top of my head we should have more veggies. It doesn't matter. Its just veggies and is not like we'll die without them or we sell them or something. Its not a big deal. I was just wondering what happened and if the server had in fact been rolled. 

Thanks for responding, Keenan!

19 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

Indy is having a good time lately. 

QbSC.gif

• Like 2

Having a Premium account on 2 or more servers is always nice for situations like this. The of course there are a few to play on Wu as well.

=Ayes=

43 minutes ago, Ayes said:

Having a Premium account on 2 or more servers is always nice for situations like this. The of course there are a few to play on Wu as well.

=Ayes=

Server outages happen and Wurm is doing great on availability. The planned move to a cloud solution should increase that further - will eliminate the factor of human intervention needed in such scenarios using traditional hosting.

8 hours ago, Jaz said:

Server outages happen and Wurm is doing great on availability. The planned move to a cloud solution should increase that further - will eliminate the factor of human intervention needed in such scenarios using traditional hosting.

While cloud will increase availability over all, I am unsure how things will go. More Lag and an increase in very short outages is something I could probably see coming up with cloud.

We have had a few Wurm servers in a cloud, not the Amazon cloud, but in a cloud and both performance and availability were nowhere near the current hardware hosting.

So for applications like Wurm I feel that cloud is still overhyped. For sure it is great for Netflix and co which have been designed to run in a cloud implementing micro services and all that stuff for increasing availability but even with all those mechanisms Wurm has not even got one and still also Netflix and co see common outages. I am sceptical as we already moved Wurm servers far away from cloud once.

We will see what the future brings us.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

While cloud will increase availability over all, I am unsure how things will go. More Lag and an increase in very short outages is something I could probably see coming up with cloud.

We have had a few Wurm servers in a cloud, not the Amazon cloud, but in a cloud and both performance and availability were nowhere near the current hardware hosting.

So for applications like Wurm I feel that cloud is still overhyped. For sure it is great for Netflix and co which have been designed to run in a cloud implementing micro services and all that stuff for increasing availability but even with all those mechanisms Wurm has not even got one and still also Netflix and co see common outages. I am sceptical as we already moved Wurm servers far away from cloud once.

We will see what the future brings us.

We're prepared to make changes to the server to increase performance in the cloud if needed, which will end up in the WU code as well. So in a way, this will be a win for WU too. :)

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Keenan said:

We're prepared to make changes to the server to increase performance in the cloud if needed, which will end up in the WU code as well. So in a way, this will be a win for WU too. :)

That sounds good :P

2 hours ago, Niki said:

switch to AWS pls

Working on it :)

• Like 1

Any comment on Sleep bonus or prem time for the players effected?