Sign in to follow this  
happysad

Is it legal?

I was wondering, since I'm going for that 70 prayer grind and it's so boring and takes a really long time. Usually when I do multiple actions, for example making mortar I just use the crafting window and click the create button with the windows 'mouse keys' option. However since prayer doesnt take as much stamina, and I've noticed that holding a keybind key for a while automatically fills up your queue, is it legal for me to just hold down the F (bind prayer) key while watching a movie? I think it is, since im not using any external programs to do it, and I'm stopping once in a while to get my stamina regenerated but the event window gets really messy with all the messages, and I know there was a player banned for putting a toothpick in his keyboard to hold a key while going afk for 20minutes. The question is, if that's a bannable thing? Or will I just get a macro question or a GM will come, and when I respond to that I'm not gonna get banned? Just to clarify i dont want to afk-pray, i'm at my PC at the time.

Edited by happysad

Damn, I thought it only applies to a situation when you do it for like half an hour, not a few minutes. I guess im gonna need to just tap the key like a maniac for months then X.x Thanks for the response.

If you hold a key too long you won't get banned. You gonna be disconnected from the server with message "reason: server spamming" or something like that.

I guess ban could be when you do this repeatedly.

Just press the key 3 times every minute (adjust up both if you have higher than 3 queue length).

Make sure you notice the question pop-up and you don't  continue adding up to the queue else you'll be in trouble.

• Like 1

Yeah, thats what I'll have to do.  I was just wondering if its possible to make this process a bit easier, because clicking all the time doesnt really let me focus on anything else since im just thinking about the timers and have to press the key all the time.  Imo the prayer goal should be changed or the prayer system reworked because now it just means i'll have to keep paying premium for months just to stand next to a wall,  pressing one key in regular intervals for many hours a day, cause it cant be automated in any way,  like other boring wurm activities, making mortar,  bricks,  planks etc

• Like 1

I think this whole keyboard police-state in Wurm is pathetic.  Just saying...

• Like 4

not wanting thousands of commands a minute sent to the server by a single person = keyboard police state

okei then

• Like 4

I totally understand that, and have no problem with it,  thats why I said about the event window spam,  sending so many commands every second cant be good for the servers. I was just looking for a way to make this painful grind a little bit easier. 

Edited by happysad

Still, filling a 4-prayer queue means 4 key presses every 2 minutes.

What you could do is google "timer", set that one to 2 minutes (more if you got a higher queue of course) for efficiency.

Or.... we can start the debate on whether it's legal to hang a laser pointer off the ceiling with a string, aim a fan at it so it moves a bit, bind all your keys to the same command, and let the cat have at it (technicism:  account sharing is allowed and the cat is, in fact, a living sentient organic being).

• Like 4

5 hours ago, SmeJack said:

Holding is key locking and not ok

devs should fix it then

3 hours ago, Eyesgood said:

I think this whole keyboard police-state in Wurm is pathetic.  Just saying...

I agree, some people here I think would like to see everyone banned i think which is toxic

• Like 1

Prayer grind is soul destroying.

It needs fixing in some reasonable way to make it more interesting, as well as rewarding engaged play.

• Like 4

Were it my game, I'd allow you to pray repeatedly until your stamina bar ran out, all for one click.

Why is attempting to force people to be "attentive" to monotonous and repetitive gameplay considered a good thing? If I wanted people to be attentive to a game I developed, I'd earn it by designing interesting and fun gameplay, not force it by dangling a distant reward in front of players and saying, "click tens of thousands of times in this long, indescribably boring process to win!".

Almost sounds like a cruel experiment. :P

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

It needs fixing in some reasonable way to make it more interesting, as well as rewarding engaged play.

i suggested reading scripture out loud into a microphone for sermons with pop quiz to determine who's a valid listener, perhaps reading a religious script silently at home with a pop quiz at the end for prayer grind?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

"Hey guys we're changing this system, we don't want to encourage AFK skill grinding"

*Hides the best journal reward behind a worse AFK grind than fishing ever was*

• Like 3

Or give player a choice like with digging and leveling.

Automated/semi-automated process with stamina limit and you can make auto-actions with tiny ticks.

Or playing actively with bigger ticks.

• Like 1

I'd recommend that you create a simple queue macro so you don't have to click so much

Combine it with Wurm Assistant to alert you whenever your queue finishes and it's an ezpz button press every few minutes

From the wurm rules:

>Use of the 'G' keys on a G series keyboard, mouse, or other similar product is permitted to send multiple actions simultaneously (without any default, built-in, or added delay timings) in order to fill your in game ACTION QUEUE provided you do NOT use any sort of repeat function.

Just make sure that you aren't using any delays or anything

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to give it a try. I knew that stuff existed but never really had a need to use it. But still, isnt it weird that you have to use 3rd party software to write macros and use wurm assistant just to make that grind acceptable? And even if you get that macro you still need to stand in place for months to get that 70 skill, being totally useless. And it's not even a tiny bit rewarding. If you're making bricks, or mortar you can make like 1k, sell them, get some silver, buy yourself a nice rare chisel, make more bricks, build a house... etc... With prayer? Nope. You just stand there mindlessly clicking one key, and all you get is truckloads of salt, flint and iron coins

Edited by happysad

17 minutes ago, Worksock said:

I'd recommend that you create a simple queue macro so you don't have to click so much

Combine it with Wurm Assistant to alert you whenever your queue finishes and it's an ezpz button press every few minutes

From the wurm rules:

>Use of the 'G' keys on a G series keyboard, mouse, or other similar product is permitted to send multiple actions simultaneously (without any default, built-in, or added delay timings) in order to fill your in game ACTION QUEUE provided you do NOT use any sort of repeat function.

Just make sure that you aren't using any delays or anything

I have the g510 and if you omit any delay, even a tiny 25 millisecond, between keypresses sometimes they fail to register because its too fast.

I understand the point in prohibiting delays is to prevent full-on macroing but this outright denial of delay usage just doesnt work sometimes for multiple keypresses via G keys.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

This is the one Wurm problem with no real solution. Since most of the actions in Wurm are repetitive, the difference between a macro/bot and a human being blurs a lot.

For example, most modern keyboards will allow you to edit the repeat "interval" when you hold down a key. If you set it to 1 minute and put a rock on your key, is that a macro? How would anything detect that is what's happening and not a person pressing the key every minute?

As already suggested, a gkey is the way to go.  It just would be nice if the game had its own version, at least even the bare minimum basic send full queue of the same action.  I'm years past being able to grind or play by using keybinds as they are, I can only play using gkeys and we shouldn't have to rely on 3rd party software for it

3 hours ago, Niki said:

I agree, some people here I think would like to see everyone banned i think which is toxic

Is allowing cheating in the game not toxic then?

53 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

If you set it to 1 minute and put a rock on your key, is that a macro? How would anything detect that is what's happening and not a person pressing the key every minute? 

Then if for whatever reason you're being logged, they would show you praying every minute and clearly being a macro regardless

Edited by MrGARY

3 hours ago, Madnath said:

"Hey guys we're changing this system, we don't want to encourage AFK skill grinding"

*Hides the best journal reward behind a worse AFK grind than fishing ever was*

biggest meme of the year from the devs

• Like 1