Sign in to follow this  
bawat

Terrain decay

When a deed decays, the buildings and walls dissappear, but the terrain, the terrain remembers.
After a server has been out for a while, after villages have come and gone, the dirt walls, pits and plateaus stay.

One of the reasons I love new servers is being able to explore new, fresh land.
Being able to find untouched land to build my new house.

My suggestion;

• Any tile that has been raised above the height of when the map was originally created, should decay it's excess height over a long period of time
    • This would remove dirtwalls
    • This would not remove mountains unless they were player created
  • Deeded areas should not decay
  • Decay should not occur arround structures
    • Walls/fences are structures
    • Paths are structures
  • Areas around water should have increased decay
    • Water is erosive
    • Land bridges - Reminder: Would still need to be undeeded AND not paths/fences to decay
    • Raised dirt in the water would decay and allow ships to pass again
  • Dirt tiles should have increased decay
  • Stone tiles should have reduced decay
  • Areas around "Should not decay" areas have a less likely chance of decaying governed by a function of distance
    • Prevents jarring edges at the border of "Should not decay" areas
  • The excess dirt should erode to a new location to fill pits
  • Like 4

As I spend a good chunk of my time fixing areas of land, especially around my island, to renaturalize it I have to endorse this +100000.

One of the reasons I started on Wild when I began wurm, instead of Inde or Deli (only servers out at that time) was because from the maps Inde and Deli just looked Fugly, scarred, and roads everywhere.  Wild had it's share but was the lesser of the three.  I'd love to see this.

Hello, my name is Nomadikhan and I approve bawat's message.

Edited by Nomadikhan

+1 I'd like the see GMs flying around doing this manually instead of the game unless it's really coded well though.

did you watch the video your posted? its not related do your suggestion in any way.

maybe im missing something but it seems to me like this would end up with all servers flat and at sea level if your suggestion was implemented.

you say this wouldn't remove mountains, but it also wouldn't restore any mountains.

as much as i disliked Shrimpiie, even i wouldnt want him to have to spend trying to make land look more fresh. but i would laugh a lot of he had to do it.

EDIT: to make another point clear, even if this was done and it worked perfectly, this may be great for you,but it would be a bad thing for many other players, who understand that they idea of "natural land" inside a videogame is always nonsense.

Edited by Tpikol
making a last point

Someone has been working on such a thing for Wurm Unlimited... Let me find the post. It has a short video.

2 hours ago, Tpikol said:

did you watch the video your posted? its not related do your suggestion in any way.

maybe im missing something but it seems to me like this would end up with all servers flat and at sea level if your suggestion was implemented.

you say this wouldn't remove mountains, but it also wouldn't restore any mountains.

as much as i disliked Shrimpiie, even i wouldnt want him to have to spend trying to make land look more fresh. but i would laugh a lot of he had to do it.

EDIT: to make another point clear, even if this was done and it worked perfectly, this may be great for you,but it would be a bad thing for many other players, who understand that they idea of "natural land" inside a videogame is always nonsense.

qMWp4tc.png

Edited by bawat
Inserted image inside of quote by accident

no no and no no.. 

no

This kills the sandbox element.

no

Finn how does this kill the sandbox element? We already have buildings and item decay. So why cant wurm have landscape decay to make the lands try and revert back to nature.

All I can say is this.... if a "natural" server is that beautiful to you, then feel free to take your shovel and dig down the dirt walls etc yourself.

If by some failure of common sense that the devs actually decide to create a new map/cluster/island, and it is not a PvP server (yeah, I know, pretty farfetched)  then maybe we could implement this on only that server.  

Although it would add some reality to the terraforming aspect, it'd be close to impossible to implement and not worth the trouble. Probably would break the game more than it would help.

Two examples.

What If, there's an area of 50x50 tiles, raised high above "original" height, flat, surrounded with fence, not deeded. How do you want to play the erosion there? If fenced areas don't erode, what happens to the center of the flat area (which is still high above the original height)? Would it sink to the original level? How do you explain the loss of dirt there? Does it not erode, why? Because it's fenced? Ok, what's the biggest fenced area that doesn't erode? What about natural hedges? You suggested a road would prevent erosion too. See the issue?

What If, there's a steep sloped area with a structure of any kind at the lower end. By your logic, the higher end of the area should erode and dirt should flow down the slopes... but where does it go? Into the structure? Just disappear? 

And if that doesn't paint the picture, google for Castle House Island (fake in real world, but would be the real future in Wurm)

All the "what if's" we can come up with.