Sign in to follow this  
Tpikol

simplify light furnaces "feature"

I  dont know if Devs here are so used to thinking in wogic that they can not longer figure out how to make things simple.why all those steps for the new feature?

If you happened to throw away or lose your steel and flint, you can now use hot burning items (wooden tools, wooden scraps, logs, cotton, cloth) along with a kindling to light a forge or oven

here is a crazy idea, how about making it so we can use woodscraps or kindling and nothing else to light things directly, make steel and flint obsolete, problem solved for everybody.

Edited by Tpikol

Yeah i have no idea where the hell this cameout from but was very suprised to see it in update and wondered why anyone wasted time on that considering that i don't see how it will be used that much... Don't wanna offend person who developed this, but seriously.

42 minutes ago, kochinac said:

i don't see how it will be used that much

Neither did the devs I believe. If I understand correctly this is supposed to be a way to autonomously replace your flint and steel, because there's no other way to make a fire at all without it? It's not supposed to be a viable alternative to flint and steel though, much less make the item obsolete.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Flubb said:

Neither did the devs I believe. If I understand correctly this is supposed to be a way to autonomously replace your flint and steel, because there's no other way to make a fire at all without it? It's not supposed to be a viable alternative to flint and steel though, much less make the item obsolete.

There is a way to light fire with steel and flint but only campfire(which can serve for all tasks if we are talking about pure survival). The only valid purpose of this is that someone can light coal pile without steel and flint in order to get coal (although it can be get by butchering so hypotetical scenario is not really without alternative) to get steel to get steel and flint if you loose one. Like you play this game alone and can't get spare steel and flint from someone...

Like the OP suggested could have been much more simpler with just lighting every furnace with 2 kindling like you can make camfire with just 2 kindlings and decent firemaking skill. Seems a bit like immersion overkill but ok.

It's not supposed to make flint & steel obsolete, or even be a useful alternative, just like the crude tools aren't a useful alternative to real ones.  It's an emergency backup for folks who have lost their flint & steel.  Think of it like crude tools, i.e. something you probably won't ever actually use (but you'll be grateful for if you ever really need it).

• Like 1

This is great. Previously I had to climb a volcano, light a torch at the nearest lava tile and run all the way back down to my deed on the coast before the torch went out. ;)  Just kidding.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Wonka said:

It's not supposed to make flint & steel obsolete, or even be a useful alternative, just like the crude tools aren't a useful alternative to real ones.  It's an emergency backup for folks who have lost their flint & steel.  Think of it like crude tools, i.e. something you probably won't ever actually use (but you'll be grateful for if you ever really need it).

i understand what its supposed to do, thats why it makes no sense. there is already a system in place for emergencies.

the only case where this helps anyone is for vanity "challenges" where people decide to abandon their gear and see if they figure out how to build everything again, AND they don't want to use campfires.

unless my memory fails me and you need to light campfire after you just made them, then it makes sense.

• Like 1

Yep coal piles would be needed if you were stuck on an island without tar and had lost your steel and flint.  Without tar you can not build a boat and therefore can not leave the island.  I can't see any solution to this situation without suicide/re-spawn, or someone summoning you away, or someone visiting you either through village teleport or by boat to either bring tar, bring a boat or enchant a mailbox, so if you want to be self-sufficient, yes in this case you need some way to light a coal pile.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Muse said:

Yep coal piles would be needed if you were stuck on an island without tar and had lost your steel and flint.  Without tar you can not build a boat and therefore can not leave the island.  I can't see any solution to this situation without suicide/re-spawn, or someone summoning you away, or someone visiting you either through village teleport or by boat to either bring tar, bring a boat or enchant a mailbox, so if you want to be self-sufficient, yes in this case you need some way to light a coal pile.

Can alway butcher some lava creatures like i said before, it's not entirely without alternative :) If no lava creatures on island as well then yeah you would need some way to light piles.

I am mostly highly intrigued by train of thougts that brought this to patch notes considering how hypotetical all these scenarios are. I don't mind the addition that much, although it could be simpler..

Edited by kochinac

53 minutes ago, Muse said:

wow, i didn't realize this solves such a huge problem, there is a small chance that 1 person ever in the story of wurm could have possibly needed this. know i understand why this was so important.

• Like 1

its a fun thing they put in that you can use that may or may not be used

ha ha

fun

game

its a game

lighten up

• Like 3

I'd lighten up when woodcraps replace kindlings.?

As many have said, this isn't intended to be a game changing mechanic. It stems from a discussion about those doing hardcore challenges needing to keep steel and flint. 

It's nothing more, you aren't expected to use it. 

• Like 2