Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Dismantling & Skillbooks

Based on the material discussed in this thread :

Why not put together a dismantling system that makes use of the almanac/consumable system.

• Dismantle item using required tool
  • Record results (report QL = min(item ql,player skill) akin to herbalism report
  • Turn results into skillbook (1000 QL of reports per book, max 100 pages) 
  • Once complete, skillbooks give a boost to ticks gained while held, taking damage each time a tick is given (soul stealer necklace code).

Optoinal extra : Dismantling lets one write a rare page, which make rare skillbooks; rare skillbooks degrading at half the speed of regular ones.

• Like 4

+1

Finally I can get my 2 cents on it out :P Didn't want to steal your thunder or derail the other thread though, hence I asked for a new thread.

It sounds like any report will work for any skill? S ounds a tad wogic-y; when it's free for all I'd use my 99 carp to boost some of my lower skills, which doesn't seem right. Why not give a "weaponsmith report" for dismantling a weapon, where the report itself takes damage rather than the whole book? I am not sure how the Soulstealer exactly works, but I'd have the reports/manuals take a flat amount of damage, setting their uses to X amounts.

With limiting uses via damage, QL could be used for more interesting effects. For instance, if the skill gain boost was multiplied with (report QL/own skill) (perhaps plugged into a function to balance this for very high QL reports on very low levels and vice versa), it would

-encourage making the best item you can before dismantling it, while discouraging just spamming low QL items to get as many reports as possible.

-enable high levelled artisans to sell reports or give them to apprentices. It would at least be some indirect form of mentoring, which was also an interesting idea that came up before but may be more complicated to implement and less worth the effort due to the relatively low player density, at least in Freedom.

If it's not too much, I'd also propose [report QL = min(paper QL, item QL, player skill))], since that's a good opportunity to give some use to papyrusmaking and its products. Archaeology already profits of better paper but I see no reason to stop there.

• Like 2

@Flubb

Some good ideas there!  I do need to clarify, I had intended each skill to have it's own reports ;)

Soulstealer seems to take 1 damage per tick granted (monster killed), so that seems reasonable (100 ticks per manual may be a lot though).

I really do like the idea of high QL granting larger ticks, it could help a lot of folks!

The notion of the book was to make it a larger item sink, a single item sacrificed for skillgain seems a bit too easy too; also a single high QL item takes a lot more work and really should save the book's creator some work vs someone who just makes a QL10 item and dismantles it for larger ticks.

Capping report QL with paper QL seems pretty reasonable since paper QL is not capped by papyrusmaking.  Though, if that were the case, I'd also link it to ink QL to give natural substances something to enjoy, and pen QL to make a good pen that bit more valuable!  So, maybe the average of paper QL/ink QL/pen QL as a cap?

3 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Dismantle item using required tool

By the way, the one thing that bothers me about this suggestion is the idea of timers that provide no skill at all. I'd still want to see -some- kind of skillgain for spending time dismantling.

Except sleep powders multiply the entire tick by 2x and work for every skill. This would - ideally - do neither.

8 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

The notion of the book was to make it a larger item sink, a single item sacrificed for skillgain seems a bit too easy too; also a single high QL item takes a lot more work and really should save the book's creator some work vs someone who just makes a QL10 item and dismantles it for larger ticks.

Oh, gotcha. What's the final book's QL then, the average of all reports? And you need to make 100 reports for a single book before it's usable? I'd be okay with that, if the final book has adaequate amount of uses, and it's probably for the better that you can't just make a single report and profit of that immediately; then the skill boost effect would have to be dreadfully miniscule for it to be balanced, coming to think about it.

I think the process is "involved" enough as it is without adding even more interdependencies to other skills though, especially with NatSub and Carpentry, which have their established, respectable uses already. Meanwhile, Papyrusmaking still feels a bit lacking, and as you said, you don't even need high skill, only good materials, to get some decent paper if you're willing to sort through masses of crappy products.

Edited by Flubb

Excellent observations @Flubb. I too see this as opportunity for expirienced crafters to transfer their knowledge indirectly to apptentices.

To spice it up we could require just ink in the pen to be used, not dyes so that could give some use from octopus ink which is bot really existant bow when you can make reports with any crap dye, also maybe tie result to ql of ink like @Etherdrifter said but as succes factor to get max ql from paper (simmilar for using low ql coal vs high ql coal on same ql of iron for steel,iron caps ql but ql of coal determines how often result will go towards cap)