Sign in to follow this  
Thorakkanath

[QoL] Bashable carts, wagons and boats

So this suggestion is helping players, developers and GMs alike.

Currently no vehicle is bashable. And that causes a bunch of problems. For the journal you need to make a small cart, a large cart, a wagon and a boat. What to do with them once you complete the goal if you already have all you need? NOTHING. You cannot bash them, and vehicles decay REALLY slowly.

That is:

1. Stupid, considering it's yours - you should do whatever you want with it
  2. unnecesarily adds to the (already large) database of items on each server
  3. creating unnecesary clutter
  4. bad, WHEN players leave (notice I said when and not if) mayors are left with carts/wagons/boats/... on deed that they cannot move 

So, this is a two part suggestion here:

1. allow owners to bash their own vehicles (freedom only for example if you feel it's a problem for pvp; idk about pvp ramifications, and code exists to split this exists)
  2. allow mayors to bash and/or perm override to become owners of the vehicles of other people that have not logged in a given amount of time (i'd say 3 months, just like merchants and just like sped up decay on homes in the wilderness)

Like I said,

QoL for players is better control over their items (suggestion 1) and deeds (suggestion 2);

QoL improvement for Devs (less pointless, useless calculations of decay for pointless, useless items in the databases) and

QoL improvement for GMs and Players (not needing to write tickets about moving vehicles of others parked on or right in front of their deeds - and GMs not having to move stuff all the time)

Thor

• Like 6

+1 .. hopefully not derailing from op too much, but i got an idea... how about if we could apply tar or something sticky flammable stuff and light it up to destroy wooden stuff you own. :)

I wish more varieties to get rid of stuff other than bashing, its dull.. but if nothing else... then at least that :)

• Like 2

Sklotopolis for example has got a clean up action, you can right click any cart on your own deed or off deed where the owner is inactive for at least 3 months and remove it from your property.

All vehicles on deed remain safe, even if you are inactive. We have made a very good experience with this system, since that GM tickets for vehicle movements have gone back to a minimum.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 1

-1 if you dont want other players cart/wagons on your deed push it somewhere els off deed

+1 to  bashing owned vehicles/ships and those with 'Manage' permission granted. 

To non-owned vehicles, at least give mayors the option to drag or embark as commander (if the owner has not been online a certain amount of time), if bashing is too "risky" to implement.

Add "Give directio to" option for the owner (I don't remember if it's already possible or not, I know branded animals have it)

Also related, allow mayors to take ownership of structures on their deed (a repeating suggestion on these forums already).

• Like 1

+1 to destroying personal owned vehicles 

-1 to destroying anything you don't own, either on or off deed for this simple fact. I stopped playing wurm for almost a year and when I finally decided to come back I logged in in the wilderness, my old deed disbanded and decayed away there was nothing left except my old wagon. I had transport and did not have to start from a completely blank slate. This helped me get back on track quicker.

We have a bunch of items on our deed that were made with village permissions so that everyone should be able to use them, but when the new permissions system was rolled in we lost all access to most of them and the players who created them haven't played in years. Some of the carts we can't even drag, and the ships we'd have to call a GM to get moved if we wanted them in a better spot. It didn't use to be a problem because ships used to decay away (I've personally lost 2 ships to decay despite regular reparations), but ships on deeds don't seem to decay anymore - Which is obviously great for other reasons, but not so much when you've lost access to them.

I obviously wouldn't want players to suffer abuse, but at the same time I don't want to pay upkeep for items that no one can use.

+1 to ability to remove your own vehicles (essentially the same demolish option building you own get).

-1 to nuking other people's vehicles.  Sounds too ripe for abuse.

17 minutes ago, Farmboy102 said:

-1 to destroying anything you don't own, either on or off deed for this simple fact. I stopped playing wurm for almost a year and when I finally decided to come back I logged in in the wilderness, my old deed disbanded and decayed away there was nothing left except my old wagon. I had transport and did not have to start from a completely blank slate. This helped me get back on track quicker.

I knew this anecdote will crop up in this, because it always does, and it's always bad.

You were either the mayor of that deed and no one could have jsut bashed your wagon away, nor would anyone bother to even if off-deed bashing of other people's carts was possible, which isn't even part of the OP.

Or you logged off as a villager and left your junk in someone's backyard for several months, in which case you have no right to expect it to still be there. There's more forever abandoned trash than things someone may return to. To maintain this status quo because you're too lazy to construct a single item is quite frankly unreasonable.

+1 to the OP without caveats. I think it's perfectly fine this way.

• Like 1

have the people saying it's abusable considered you can already push them onto lava if you wanted them gone/wanted loot out of them, and can pack ground under them to starve the horses to allow them to be pushed (and is even suggested in ca-help all the time, so don't pull the griefing card either)

+1 for convenience even though i'd never use it personally, lava's more fun

2 hours ago, Farmboy102 said:

+1 to destroying personal owned vehicles 

not only does this not have anything to do with this topic, it also sounds a lot like ######,a year ago or so i went back to a place that i deeded and disbanded in 2014, NOT 1 but 4 years later, and most of the walls were still there,with very little dmg, the forges on the mine still intact and pretty much everything else i left including a 1ql coc grooming brush, even that didn't decay in 4 years.

if you think wurm has a problem with decay being too fast, you are just a fool.

add this and bring back the old times vehicle savage mechanics+ lock decay for abandoned vehicles and you may see a big reduction in clutter.

Edited by Tpikol
expanding

Reviving dead suggestion because......well its important and easy to implement....

One of the jurnal goals were to build a sailboat.

So I built one on my manor on the top spire. To get rid of it, I needed to put it on the ship transporter, ride all the way down (over 4k slope down) and put it on the lava tile.

I couldn't bash MY small boat on MY deed.

I'am able to one-click puff 14 story house with a bridge attached to it, that took over 40000 bricks and 40000 mortar, but what do I know about the wogic?

• Like 1

+1 to being able to bash my own vehicles.

-1 To being able to take ownership of anything, on deed or not, that does not belong to me.

I agree that players should be able to bash/destroy their own carts/wagons/ships. Maybe even the main could bash their alts items of these sorts if there were a "bash" Permission that could be selected by the owner.

=Ayes=

Just allow manage role to have bashing.  Same end result as just putting things on lava so doesn't make sense to restrict it to just owner, and also solves alt issues or friends that quit and left junk on your deed.

Probably make it only happen on your own/allied deed (maybe tie to bash permission), so pvp doesn't become grief everyone by picking their locks getting ownership by embarking and then bashing everything they got.

+1 to be able to bash anything on your deed.