Sign in to follow this  
syncaidius

Blossom Canal Project

Wow! Congratulations to everyone helping on this project!  I had no idea it was being resurrected! :D

I remember helping JD just a tiny bit with the mining northwards from Oasis back when I was a newbie - it was my introduction into tunnel mining, water in caves, and where I got my 'wet feet' award if I recall correctly. :P 

When BTRod left for Xanadu - he left me his horses, and made his 'escape' to Xan in a boat, out through that same tunnel from the Oasis access, an emotional memory for me. :)

• Like 1

@JDBookerI've been trying to find out who actually started the original project for some time, so thank you for clearing that up!

Please know that your original work on the canal has not gone to waste. A lot of people have been helping out to ensure it is restored and actually stays open permanently this time around.

I only have good words to say about you. The last time I was starting a push to restore the canal back in 2016, you were nothing but helpful the entire time, so thank you. :)

You are more than welcome to help with the canal whenever you feel like it. The canal is fully sailable for shallow boats and work has started on a 2-wide walkway, but there is so much left to do.

Edited by syncaidius
Butter fingers
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, JDBooker said:

It was not long after the breakthrough of a single width canal from Dragons Keep to Blossom that the end was sealed and the project was put on hold. This was probably around August 2014.

As i had done about 99% of the mining alone (ok, with an alt army helping) I got quite annoyed with the person blocking my work, so i threw my toy pickaxe out the pram, and never swung another blow in the canal since.

Of course since you started this project you have your own perspective on it favoring what you did with the opening of the end nearest to Blossom. On the other hand I remember the interior of the mine there before your project and the mess that was made of it afterwards making all that section inaccessible to regular mining both on foot and with horse carts due to the water being too deep for them. Then also the big pit dug outside into the water with the removal of that section of path along the water that led into Blossom.

Since I lived close by at my alts deed I had frequently gone to that mine fixing it up as best I could so newbies could use it as they setup their little camps along the water path. As caving in tiles was beyond my capability and expensive to hire out I just kept an eye on this mess as I described it (mildly) to see it sitting this way with the path destroyed for some time with no attempt made to do any further work. Then one day I noticed that the water entrance tile was caved in and I promptly reinforced the tile and a few so that it would not be opened again. Then I filled in the big pit outside, repaired the water path for all to use once again and replanted the whole area.

Over the years since a lot of the interior around it has caved in naturally which probably assists the newer re-mining and opening of the canal. I will point out that there is quite the contrast in how the canal is being mined out again with consideration of others that may also wish to use that mining area other than for boating purposes and the path along the water into Blossom. Although I did not cave in that opening I will say that I was quite happy to see it finally happened and took that opportunity to fix the abandoned mess that you left. Just another perspective from the other side of the coin.....

=Ayes=

Bump. Work on the walkway continues from the south side. Some of it has now been reinforced.

As for veins, another has been slain today, thanks again to@Tilda!

We also have@Jospicycamped out in the canal with his larder full of who knows what, chipping away at a copper vein for the past few days:

vStlEpH.png

EDIT: Just received word from Jospicy that the poor copper vein pictured above has now passed away. RIP.

Thanks again to everyone who has taken time to come work in the canal! :)

Edited by syncaidius
  • Like 2

Veins are going away \o/

Canal - waterway. From north to south, following the list in the OP, we now have:

Iron 83ql

Iron 40ql

Sandstone 62ql

Marble 30ql

Copper - Utmost

Copper - 35QL

Copper - Very good

Marble 27ql

Marble 28ql

Gold 49ql

Sandstone 94ql

Marble 21ql

Marble 55ql

Gold 28ql

Zinc - 24QL

Gold - 39QL

Marble - 57QL

Marble - Very good

Lead 91ql

Lead 95ql

Lead 40ql

Lead - 36QL

Lead 91ql (deeded: Oasis Motel And Market, mining possible by request)

[17:51:22] You will be able to mine here 6720 more times.

Silver - 28QL

Walkway, in the south, from the south entrance to the north-est point reached:

Silver 92ql

[18:05:30] You will be able to mine here 8221 more times.

[18:41:38] You will be able to mine here 5209 more times.

Sandstone 81ql

[18:04:27] You will be able to mine here 5815 more times.

Iron 96ql

[18:03:16] You will be able to mine here 7325 more times.

Iron 71ql

[18:02:43] You will be able to mine here 7331 more times.

Sandstone 66ql

[18:01:37] You will be able to mine here 3873 more times.

Sandstone 82ql

[18:01:00] You will be able to mine here 3191 more times.

Sandstone 29ql

[17:59:33] You will be able to mine here 2671 more times.

Iron 80ql

[18:50:30] You will be able to mine here 5502 more times.

Sandstone 38ql

[18:51:06] You will be able to mine here 5539 more times.

Iron 94ql

[18:51:33] You will be able to mine here 1863 more times.

Walkway, in the north, from the north entrance towards south:

Copper 28ql (probably not in the way, depends how wide the east-west branch is)

[20:06:18] You will be able to mine here 2121 more times.

Cooper 36ql (probably not in the way, depends how wide the east-west branch is)

[20:07:28] You will be able to mine here 8371 more times.

Copper 30ql

Sandstone 25ql

[22:08:29] You will be able to mine here 788 more times.

[01:24:55] You will be able to mine here 487 more times.

Sandstone 78ql

[22:07:34] You will be able to mine here 9599 more times.

Sandstone 57ql

[22:06:18] You will be able to mine here 345 more times.

Sandstone 34ql

[22:05:44] You will be able to mine here 6765 more times.

Sandstone 87ql

[22:04:12] You will be able to mine here 5057 more times.

Copper 64ql

[21:59:00] You will be able to mine here 6189 more times.

(south of reinforced walls at Bloom town perimeter)

Sandstone 67ql

[21:59:00] You will be able to mine here 6189 more times.

Copper 70ql

[21:58:34] You will be able to mine here 3661 more times.

Copper 94ql

[21:58:06] You will be able to mine here 4336 more times.

Copper 83ql

Sandstone 99ql

[21:57:15] You will be able to mine here 5364 more times.

Copper 62ql

[21:56:14] You will be able to mine here 9809 more times.

Marble 85ql

Marble 22ql

[19:23:36] You will be able to mine here 9484 more times.

Marble 48ql

[21:59:27] You will be able to mine here 5500 more times.

Marble 85ql

[22:00:14] You will be able to mine here 2602 more times.

Marble 21ql

[22:00:39] You will be able to mine here 1062 more times.

Sandstone 85ql

[22:01:11] You will be able to mine here 5494 more times.

Marble 22ql

[22:01:35] You will be able to mine here 2338 more times.

Marble 98ql

Gold 68ql

[22:02:57] You will be able to mine here 3376 more times.

Sandstone 71ql

[22:03:27] You will be able to mine here 6242 more times.

Marble 42ql

Marble 55ql

[22:04:32] You will be able to mine here 4129 more times.

Marble 23ql

[22:06:25] You will be able to mine here 4681 more times.

Marble 72ql

[22:07:09] You will be able to mine here 6116 more times.

Marble 74ql

[22:07:28] You will be able to mine here 5248 more times.

Gold 82ql

[22:08:04] You will be able to mine here 8374 more times.

Gold 71ql

[22:08:22] You will be able to mine here 5263 more times.

Gold 76ql

[22:08:56] You will be able to mine here 4600 more times.

Sandstone 63ql

[22:09:28] You will be able to mine here 8642 more times.

Marble 84ql

[22:09:52] You will be able to mine here 8209 more times.

Gold 64ql

[22:10:16] You will be able to mine here 7573 more times.

Lead 54ql

[00:36:14] You will be able to mine here 8306 more times.

Edited by Anarres
  • Like 2

Bumperty bump. There has been a lot going on down in the canal this week!

Firstly, thanks to@Anarresfor taking time to prospect every vein (at the time) in the canal, so that the rest of us know exactly how long we'll be staring ourselves blind at them. Even took out a lead vein while doing it! :P

@Ohanahas been busy mining out the walkway from the northern end, which now stretches beyond the canal's turning point.

@Tildahas closed the old southern entrance, making it a lot less confusing to navigate.

@Musehas been on a vein killing spree for the past few days, along with a few strongwall casts:

laxBbxc.jpg?1

@QueenRockshas also been slaying veins at both ends of the canal:

rQ0vwxL.png

Lastly, I've dropped a deed roughly at the midpoint of the canal (H15/J15) to fix some nasty old reinforcements that were sticking out into the waterway. It's also likely to be the location of a surface access tunnel (with highway connections), sometime soon. :)

Thanks again everyone. It's surprising to see how fast the canal is progressing!

Edited by syncaidius
  • Like 2

Bump. It's been a while since the last update post, but also a lot of progress.

From the north side, the walkway now stretches from Blossom to the midpoint deed near H15/J15, thanks to the work of@Wurmholeand@Ohanawho have dealt with a maze of old tunnels, caves and dropshafts.

From the south side, it now stretches from Walnut Cove to Oasis Motel and Market.

We are very close to having both ends of the canal walkway connected, which means a nice, flat land route from Paramount Lake to Blossom will be available, but it will be some time before it is cat-eyed as there are many veins to be cleared, as well as flattening the tunnel floor.  :)

@Musehas also taken out two more marble veins which were blocking the waterway, making it that extra bit nicer to sail the canal.

Also, a big thank you to@JDBookerfor handling all of the various deed permissions the canal crew has needed over the past month, without which, things would have been much more difficult.

I haven't been around as much as I'd like due to RL, but thank you again to everyone who has come down to the canal and popped more veins. Your efforts have definitely not gone unnoticed.

Edited by syncaidius
Typos
  • Like 2

Syn, or anyone else that knows, How is the E/W end of the canal and walkway supposed to map out?  Currently, the canal and path are not directly in line with the tunnel openings.  Is the intent to have them do so, all the way to the corner, where it turns South?  I am assuming it is a little off track to dodge some reinforcements?

I ask, because I am working on a mining project at my Bloom Town deed and thought I'd try making some interesting sights for travelers as they sail or walk by.

• Like 1

Think we have now sorted out Wurmhole's questions ingame, work has proceeded nicely on the canal and walkway. Our 'project manager' is taking a break but lots of worker bees have kept at it the best we can :) The canal is now basically clear of blocking veins, the only one remaining is the lead on JD's Oasis deed. There are still a few old reinforced tiles that need removing up near the Blossom entrance which we hope can be disintegrated but otherwise the place is looking good (big thanks to Darq and Serraphine for all the work up on that north end of the canal.)

The walkway continues to have lots of goodies and not so goodies to be removed, and the connection of the north and south ends needs to be made, again the deeded Oasis area needs mining out to make a connection. We will get there in the long run.

• Like 3

This project is now "ONGOING" again.

Feel free to work on any part of project. It doesn't have to be done in any order either.
Veins in Canal/Highway are Copper, Gold, Marble, Sandstone, lead, Iron  and a partridge in a pear tree.

Phase I. Open path 2 wide. Remove veins on future highway, and level floor,support beam, prepare, pave, cateye.

Phase II. Remove veins in Canal, Strongwall sides.

Phase III. Raise Land Tunnel Ceiling. Determine height for canal ceiling and level ceilings (1 lead vein 91ql - 1833 remaining in canal)
Phase IV. Put in buoys and Lamps.
Phase V.  Lower canal to all boats depth(-22 from Highway on Blossom side.)

Phase VI. Pave canal and put up cladding.

In search of:

Miners!

650 Support beams for highway Floor (300 Wurmhole)

650 Mortar for Highway (1200 JoSpicy)

650 Sandstone slabs (700 Whfawn)
Favor for strong walling sides. (2500 Cordage Whfawn)

90 Buoys (90 Dragonsheart)

90 Lamps (30 Lamps Tilda, 30 Iron Lamps Dragonsheart))

300 Cateyes (100 Dragonsheart)

300 Concrete (300 Dragonsheart)

Support Beams Canal Floor (More than anyone wants to know!)
Mortar Canal Floor

Marble Slabs Canal Floor

Marble Bricks (For Cladding)
Mortar (For cladding)
Did I mention miners?

Highway goes from Blossom entrance all the way to old hellbound deed. that entire stretch is both shallow boat accessible and cart/wagon/horse rideable. (done)

The canal going south to paramount exiting at Walnut Cove,  will be all boats accessible and a highway on the west side of canal.
I am dropping statues next to veins with how much was left when I prospected it, today.

https://prnt.sc/ry3b3s

Miners: Blaca, Tilda, Whfawn, LadyGodiva, AlmostSolitude, The Serra's, Smackeddown

Special Thanks to, @SmackedDown@Jazand @Angelklainefor Path of Power erruptions and freezings.

• Like 1

Glad to see Serra is on the job with this! Almost a year later lol I did go back and chop away a little bit on the walkway/will be highway on the south end, that can now be opened on up and connected to the north end hopefully, Oasis deed is gone so I did a little work there to continue it. Currently distracted by my own new mine but once it feels a bit stable will bring myself and my Mag back to the project. I lost two of the marble braziers intended for the blossom end when I disbanded my old deed and took off for a break, so we could use replacements for those too? 

On 4/12/2020 at 11:15 PM, Angelklaine said:

I'm tempted to go there and mine veins. Could use some of it.

Please do!

I've dropped statutes next to the veins with QL and how many actions are left.

3 gold veins have been knocked out, couple Marble, 1 copper, and some sandstone.

Still left 1 gold, lots of marble, 1 copper, lots of sandstone, a couple Iron, 1 lead.

(still haven't done a inventory of what is left.)

You can now cart from the lake to blossom. The Canal is vein free.

Helllooo!

I sailed thru there yesterday and it is really awesome to see this project! I'm not too far away and am happy to help out where I can :)

It really is an incredible shortcut from blossom to the east coast and now towards the south. Thank you for doing this!

2 hours ago, Soluna said:

Helllooo!

I sailed thru there yesterday and it is really awesome to see this project! I'm not too far away and am happy to help out where I can :)

It really is an incredible shortcut from blossom to the east coast and now towards the south. Thank you for doing this!

Thank you this has been a group projected that was started years ago. So many folks have worked on it.

Our current greatest need is Miners. There are a lot of veins that need to be removed on the future highway headed south. 
Our second most needed thing after miners are support beams.

Happy to jump in to mine away veins, I'll send Zaj over there soon!

EDIT: also a PoP so can lava away the high count veins

Edited by Jaz

If needed I can volunteer my priest to erupt veins in the way.

Edited by MrJonnyboy

There is a marble I was just going to start on that is 9k, that sucker could be nuked!

Just finished a 9808k Copper.

As of today this is what we have left that needs cleaning out: (*means someone is known to be working on it)

Walkway/Highway, from the north Blossom entrance towards south:

*Marble 22 ql - 8466

Sandstone 85ql - 5494 

Sandstone 71ql  - 6234

*Marble 72ql - 6113 

Sandstone 63ql - 8638

Lead 54ql - 8306

*Lead 86ql - 7284

Iron 25ql - 2642

Lead 80ql – 9872

Sandstone 36ql - 3076

*Lead 65ql- 3135

Sandstone 38ql -5539

*Iron 80ql - 5501 

Edited by Tilda
updated
  • Like 1

If there is any gold veins over 70ql and copper vein above 80ql let me know via pm. I can bring zarame there and grab quite a bit in a bsb and some crates. As i need alot of 90ql+ copper. And lower ql too.also need maybe 1k gold as i need to make few altars at 10% change for jurnal at some point.

Coming with 90ql runed and full imbue rare pickaxe.so that will make a very good vein give out 100ql mats

Edited by Zarame

All of the gold and copper are gone now Zarame, what we have left is in my post above yours :)

Going to see if I can expose this one on the surface. 

Sandstone 63ql - 8638

If I can, it would make a good candidate for erupt.

If anyone is looking for Sandstone shards. There are a few k of it just sitting on the ground in the tunnel.

It's almost in the middle of the south running tunnel, but closer to Blossom then Walnut cove.

It will of been mined Wed/Thu and today. There are no decay ticks yet. But the shards that where mined Wednesday should start taking damage soon.