Sign in to follow this  
Titanius

How to increase FPS?

Updated post:

How do we turn off rain?  I'm trying to increase my FPS, which stays between 5 to 12.  Any way of increasing FPS through settings? 

Edited by Titanius

There is no setting to turn it off.  There is, however, a setting under Graphics or Adv. Graphics to turn off "Pretty weather" which should reduce details a bit.  That may help.

Ha.  Good one.

I mean in settings.  I unchecked detailed weather, but rain still falls.

Nomadikhan, do you mean detailed weather?  There's no pretty weather.

I'm trying to get my FPS up.  It stays around 5 to 12 most of the time.  Any way of getting higher through settings?

Edited by Titanius

What's your machine specifications? Can't tell what's holding it back without those.

The most taxing settings are shadows and reflections, if you turn those off you should notice an improvement.

• Like 1

It's a 7 year old laptop.  Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s).

I have my reflections and terrain to medium.  Texture quality medium.  Detailed weather off.  Particles off.  Shadows off.  Distances (trees, animals, etc) are short.  Sky low.  Water reflections  low.

Actually, I  just turned VSync on and reloaded.  It seems to make everything clearer, actually.  Smoother looking.  Colours  look creamier, like they're blended better.  And FPS is now up to 30.  Not sure if FPS are high because I'm just standing and not moving, or because no rain falling. 

Just tried running, and FPS stays around 20.  Far better than the 5 to 12 I was getting before.  I think VSync made a huge difference.  But not sure exactly.

Anyone else have experience with VSync?

Edited by Titanius

Actually the only thing VSync does is limit your FPS to reduce screen tearing, so it must've been another option that made it better.

VSync has nothing to do with colors either.

Rain doesn't impact the framerate at all, it looks choppy itself though so it can give off that impression.

OK.  Thanks.  I must have checked something else and when I exited and reentered it must have set-in.  Thanks the tips, everyone.

Just curiosity; does your laptop happen to have dual graphics cards? (eg. intel integrated + an nvidia card). If so, did you set it up to use the Nvidia card? Unless you specifically tell your computer to use the Nvidia card, it will use the integrated graphics with wurm which will be a major downgrade in performance. Just setting it to use the Nvidia card instead could help out tons.

If you dont know how to set this, let me know.

If you dont have dual graphics cards, then you can safely ignore this post, although it might help others with similar issues that search for solutions ;)

• Like 3

Thanks, Viti.  Anything that might boost performance would be a plus.

Device Manager tells me I do have two cards: Intel HD Graphics 3000, and NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M.

I remember a long time ago I went to the NVIDIA website and configured my card somehow.  I think that's when it installed GeForce, or something like that.  Is this what you were referring to?

And how do I make my system use the NVIDIA card over the Intel one?

Thanks a bunch.

21 minutes ago, Titanius said:

And how do I make my system use the NVIDIA card over the Intel one?

Before you start, it might be necessary to have the official Nvidia drivers installed (from the nvidia / geforce website, as you mentioned before)

To prefer Nvidia over the intel integrated graphics, do the following:

1. Rightclick anywhere on an empty spot on your desktop and go to the Nvidia control panel. 

2. Click on the "manage 3d settings" on the side.

3. Set the "preferred graphics processor" to "High Performance Nvidia" 

picture:

ccrPSuO.png

If it looks different than this, you can do it the following way:

1. Rightclick anywhere on an empty space on the desktop and open Nvidia control panel

2. Go to "Manage 3d settings" on the side.

3. Set the "primary OpenGL graphics processor" to your Nvidia 555M

picture (sorry for the different language, but it should still make sense / location is the same)

4JMWnAH.jpg

I hope this helps!

Edited by Viti
Spelling stuff :P
  • Like 2

Thanks, Viti.  But I don't have an NVIDIA control panel option when I right click on my desktop.  I have Graphics Properties..., which opens the Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel.

I tried right clicking on NVIDIA in my Device Manager, but there's no control panel there, just some options to update driver and other things to do with the driver.

1 minute ago, Titanius said:

Thanks, Viti.  But I don't have an NVIDIA control panel option when I right click on my desktop.  I have Graphics Properties..., which opens the Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel.

I tried right clicking on NVIDIA in my Device Manager, but there's no control panel there, just some options to update driver and other things to do with the driver.

This probably means that you do not have the Nvidia drivers installed yet. (Which actually means that most likely, you currently work on the intel card, which means you should get an enormous boost once this is set up properly! :D

Go to the Nvidia driver page ( https://www.geforce.com/drivers )and download the right driver for you and install it.

Direct link to the windows 10 64 bit drivers of your GT 555M is this: https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/132841

• Like 1

I think it worked.  But I went a different route.  Since I already had the driver, I went to Device Manager, right clicked NVIDIA GeForce, selected Update Driver, then Browse My Computer for Driver Software, then Let Me Pick from a List..., then I picked the GeForce GT 555M in the list, and clicked Next.  It then installed the driver, which then gave me the NVIDIA Control Panel option when I right click on my desktop.  Then I just followed your first steps above, opened the NVIDIA Control Panel, went to Manage 3D, selected High Performance NVIDIA Processor from the drop down menu, then clicked Apply.  Thanks for the picture above.  It looked just like that.

So now that that's done, where can I look to make sure my system is actually using the NVIDIA card?  Or is selecting the High Performance NVIDIA Processor from the Manage 3D drop down enough?

Edited by Titanius

1 minute ago, Titanius said:

So now that that's done, where can I look to make sure my system is actually using the NVIDIA card?  Or is selecting the High Performance from the Manage 3D drop down enough?

Selecting this is enough, it should now prefer to use the Nvidia card. So unless the setting in the control panel changed on its own, you should be all set!

If you were in wurm while doing so, it might be wise to quit and start the game again, although I personally think a system restart (if the driver install did not do this already) would be a decent idea too before you try to log in again :)

Let us know how it goes! :)

• Like 3

Holy smokes!  What a difference!  My FPS goes up to 60 now, and stays between 50 and 60.  And panning the camera around is so smooth.  It used to stutter before, but it swivels like putting fresh grease on a pivot.

Another interesting thing is that when I'm moving around, it looks almost like moving within a 3-d model, where the objects have more side-shading or something like that.  And the animals move smoother too.  I can even notice the breeze moving the grass, which I never noticed before!

This really enhances the experience.  We should make these instructions available somewhere for others too.  Thanks, Viti!

Edited by Titanius
  • Like 8