Sign in to follow this  
TheSmithy

Name and Shame - For cowboy trader warnings

Hey all,

It was just out of curiosity when I questioned in CA Help whether there was a name and shame page in the forums to warn players/characters both old and new of traders/players that may lead them astray or scam them in any many.

This could be a failed currency exchange, an unpaid job or another duplicitous action.

It would be a landing page to place a set of names for individuals victim to such deceptions to protect and hopefully prevent future disappointments.

It's just an idea, but I'll like to know what you all think.

Thanks,

TheSmithy 

• Like 1

People can make a name and shame thread on the forums atm they usually end up in the town square, But what I will say is name and shame threads are usually a bad idea certainly over little things where it's possible both parties are to blame. Sometimes it's better to be the bigger person to just accept these things happen and learn from it.
But if you want to go down the route of name and shame threads the option is there, but the words below probably say enough.

We will not protect you from your own actions.  If you cross someone and they have something negative to say about you, then you earned it on your own merit.  It is in your hands to protect, preserve, improve, defend, or destroy your reputation.

• Like 5

Seeing as such threads are allowed, I would say a separate board or thread shouldn't be created for it - especially not for things such as unfinished jobs. 

When big things happen in-game, such as theft, griefing, scams or other really relevant things, the threads are created for the community by the affected parties, but the GM team also intervenes in those cases.

Things like unfinished jobs... I have to say, that just happens. I've done it, most people who trade probably have - something gets in between you and the game and you don't find the time to do it. In those cases that shouldn't lead to a public name and shame. It is a game, after all.

Summarized, my opinion is that it's perfect the way it is right now, where the threads are rare enough to matter and not everyone makes one because they didn't get their mortar delivered on time or something, but where the threads warn people about legitimate concerns like when buying gold or taking in villagers. :) 

The games community is already up in arms often enough about things either not convenient or just out of control of higher ups/other players. Let's not add fuel to the fire, for a week even, please? Trade problems happen, ###### happens. If it's a legit scam, then okay, you might have a case to pop up somewhere and say "hey, X thing happened, be careful around this person, here's what you can do to prevent this happening to you"

Or, you could do the mature thing. Try and actually talk it out with the party in question. Sure, chances are they'll disagree, maybe even strongly, but at least at that point you can say you did the smart, responsible thing.

I honestly feel more and more like the "name and shame" threads are just pure toxicity, made usually in the heat of a moment, or over a build up of shitty experiences. When was the last time one actually served any good purpose?

• Like 2

other problem is people can sell (or say they sold) and get it back so time later with sorta fresh reputation

No thanks, there's enough drama as it is without flagging it up with big flashing signs.

• Like 1

nothing good comes out of that... i hear ban hammer when last time hapend this topic

Town square is fine, sometimes its important to name/shame good example is Niru.

I agree with shaky though most of the name/shames end bad for both parties involved. I could easily name/shame 10 people right now but no one would care. I've learned that from previous experiences. ?

• Like 1

I think a specific forum section for N&S posts would be a good idea, especially since it would keep those types of posts out of Town Square which is probably the most visible section of the forums for various types of ideas to be discussed. Then when one of those N&S posts popped up anywhere the forum mods could immediately transfer it off to this section. Also, those who prefer not to be exposed to these types of posts would be more protected from viewing them and the opposite would be true for those who prefer to participate in them as they would know the section to check.

=Ayes=

On 3/8/2019 at 7:26 PM, Ayes said:

I think a specific forum section for N&S posts would be a good idea, especially since it would keep those types of posts out of Town Square which is probably the most visible section of the forums for various types of ideas to be discussed. Then when one of those N&S posts popped up anywhere the forum mods could immediately transfer it off to this section. Also, those who prefer not to be exposed to these types of posts would be more protected from viewing them and the opposite would be true for those who prefer to participate in them as they would know the section to check.

=Ayes=

I completely understand where you're coming from with this. I have yet to see a N&S-Thread that wasn't complete drama.

But the purpose of such threads is to warn the community, relegating them to some area where they are less visible defeats that purpose. Although the bigger issue I take with it is that N&S are probably as rare right now because someone has to do something particularly egregious to make another person come out and make such a thread, with the risk of making a fool of themselves in the process. This "public marketplace" has a chilling effect on this subculture which I reckon keeps it from devolving into a perpetual turd flinging contest. With a dedicated subsection, N&S threads would appear as something that is condoned, rather than tolerated.

If they'd pop up every week I'd agree with you (the other solution then would be to ban them, but I think taking outlets away is even more detrimental to community spirits), but as rare as they are I think we're better off letting them slowly sink to the dark back alleys of the town square where they equally get forgotten in short enough notice.

Edited by Flubb
typo like always