Sign in to follow this  
Warlander

Path of Exile: Synthesis

So... New league starts in less than one day, who else is hyped for it?

Personally I played arc totems Hierophant and winter orb Deadeye self-cast last league, for this league my ideas are as follows:

• Pledge of Hands melee skeletons necromancer (likely first build as it's very cheap and powerful)
  • Soul Rend + Bane Damage over Time Occultist
  • Purifying Flame Consecrated Ground Inquisitor
  • Divine Ire Trickster

How about you? Personally I played PoE since the Essence league, and from the league to league the game just keeps getting better and better (got my first 36/40 challenges last league). :D

I've been considering taking up PoE for a while now and a new league seems like the time to do it. How easy is it to get started and "get" PoE... that is, how steep is the learning curve?

Also, is there any multiplayer stuff?

You can play multiplayer, it's not "online only" for nothing, but when I tried joining public parties I consistently landed on US or chinese servers with terrible lag. All I can say is "user experience may vary".

I find it easy to get started with, it's pretty intuitive in its basics especially if you're already familiar with similar ARPGs, but the learning curve is long and arduous with plenty of endgame content to work through it, which I think is a good balance to strike - get in fast, and stay even longer. Just expect your first attempt(s) to fail. :P eventually at least; unless you really try to botch your character, the first one should be playable and viable for plenty of time to give you an idea if you like the game. The skill tree might be overwhelming but I don't think there's a reason to be too afraid of it to not jsut run with it and make babysteps through it.

Edited by Flubb

3 hours ago, Jberg said:

I've been considering taking up PoE for a while now and a new league seems like the time to do it. How easy is it to get started and "get" PoE... that is, how steep is the learning curve?

Also, is there any multiplayer stuff?

The whole gameplay is on GGG servers, so you need constant internet connection in order to play. Multiplayer with other people is optional and most people tend to play solo other than trading with other people, through.

When it comes to learning curve, I would say this is one of "easy to learn, difficult to master" games. You can get something going easily by just instinctively choosing gear and passive skill tree patching or - if you want to have something stronger - following good build guide. To make your own builds capable of doing high-end end-game stuff there are many things to learn through, including very subtle differences in wording like a massive difference between words "more" and "increased", but if you are skilled enough almost every skill in game can be brought to competitive level. Program like Path of Building helps a lot with this, but is often a bit out of date especially lately.

I looove PoE, im SirMitchy on sythesis if you wana run some maps :) building out a Winter Orb trickster to see how well it works