Sign in to follow this  
Barfoot

Queue actions like move 1 tile

So... prospect, move one tile, prospect and repeat? that is gaming?

I know i'm going to eat lava from most of you, esp. old timers : ), still, worth a try, some might like it, and wurm might be a great game because of it:

How about this as a base/concept idea: if you are smart enough, you can queue repeat action, than you can do stuff like:

Action #1: prospect

#2: move one tile left

#3: Prospect

#4: Move one tile right

#5: repeat / goto #1

This way, if you have enough logic (40+ in this case), you earned the ability to 'macro' (and i know you are all allergic to this word), yes - macro!! not just macro 'in game macro', macro supported by the game.

Why not make macro part of the game, but - you need to earn it.

That way:

1. old timers will be able to use it right away (they respectively earned it).

2. new players will not have it, until ~40+ mind logic, and we all know how much time it takes.

3. old players will probably return to wurm and give it another try.

4. new player will have hope to current slavery feelings, and might last long enough to stay.

5. wurm might be growing in time instead of shrinking.

But more important - wurm, as a game, will stop enslave loving and potential gamers to grind it all the way till the top, players are and will leave you at some point because it's not a game, it's slavery, and they will understand that at one point or another.

I mean, didn't you already get it? who wants to play a game as a keyboard slave? I did that for hours and my fingers hurt, just to be ready for the next rift?

You enforce players who love wurm to be grind-slaves, and that is my friends not fun, that's why WO will shrink and be left with just a core gamers, who are in slavery so long, they wont quit,and they will also be shrieked to nothing in time.

Bring out the torches and pitchforks!!!! my friends :), and i see you in WU.

Just writing it as a last post, and something to think of.

o/ so long and thanks for all the fishes, WO will always have a special place in my heart.

Loving, Barfoot.

• Like 1

When grinding prospecting, you don't need to move after every prospect action. No one's action queue is so long that being able to queue movement would have any benefit here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barfoot said:

But more important - wurm, as a game, will stop enslave loving and potential gamers to grind it all the way till the top, players are and will leave you at some point because it's not a game, it's slavery, and they will understand that at one point or another. 

I mean, didn't you already get it? who wants to play a game as a keyboard slave? I did that for hours and my fingers hurt, just to be ready for the next rift? 

You enforce players who love wurm to be grind-slaves, and that is my friends not fun, that's why WO will shrink and be left with just a core gamers, who are in slavery so long, they wont quit,and they will also be shrieked to nothing in time.

This is my observation as well. Wurm has lost by trying to keep, but most of the (vocal) population left are those who agree and can't see past it. :(

3 hours ago, Barfoot said:

I know i'm going to eat lava from most of you, esp. old timers : ), still, worth a try, some might like it, and wurm might be a great game because of it:

[---]

Bring out the torches and pitchforks!!!!

1 hour ago, Roccandil said:

This is my observation as well. Wurm has lost by trying to keep, but most of the (vocal) population left are those who agree and can't see past it. :(

^ The first of these two quoted sections is a ridiculous and quite frankly manipulative way of going into making a suggestion with. The second section is implying that people are elitist for not agreeing with their own opinion (and this isn't a wild accusation or paranoia on my part, it's a recurrent theme in the suggestions made and supported by this person).

As far as the actual suggestion goes:

This suggestion isn't something that removes tedium or brings Quality of Life: It's a suggestion that allows for the action queue to play the game for you.

I know that the argument for stacking of other actions might pop up, but that's just over-simplifying the game to suit the argument. There is a major difference between queuing up smithing actions and queuing up walking, since the prospecting skill consists of part walking and part prospecting. By removing the walking as something the person would actively participate in you'd effectively remove part of the skill, and for a proper comparison to for example blacksmithing it'd be: Stack 3 actions on the same tool, but stack a 'choose' action in between the three actions to avoid having to change tools yourself. So you stack 3 actions with a whetstone but even if the second and third improvement action requires lump and hammer you just keep going, because the 'choose' actions do the work for you.

Imply whatever you want about "vocal oldtimers", I for one am not so intimidated by your opinions that I'll support suggestions that take something away from the game. I'm neither against removing tedium (I was for example one of the people requesting being able to transfer from bulk-to-bulk and to be able to bin hot lumps), nor am I against QoL changes (I hope that one day the garbage QL lumps that are still spawned from some item creations will be removed, since they create the need for extra clicks and a risk of accidental combining). This suggestion isn't about either of those factors though, this is about removing some of the effort involved in a skill that you have chosen to grind.

• Like 2

The idea is innocuous enough, albeit honestly rather useless, so I'm neutral on that. But seeing the "conclusions" being drawn in the first two posts I can already tell I'm gonna need chemotherapy after this thread.

7 hours ago, Barfoot said:

So... prospect, move one tile, prospect and repeat? that is gaming?

Prospect, let the game move for you, and prospecting on repeat is any more 'gaming'?

I can't even begin to address the rest of the post, it departed from the original suggestion to incoherent meandering and baseless conjecture in such an amazing pace I'm not even sure what happened; it feels like this "suggestion" is just an excuse to gripe about the game. Even Roccandil is more subtle about this in their own suggestion threads.

i'm more annoyed at how inefficiently you're grinding prospecting than the actual idea. you only need to move every 10-15 minutes.

If you have to "earn it", what does that do for the average new player? oh, just get 40 mind logic so you can queue movements into your actions? if someone's grinded 21 points of mind logic to get to 40 (hundreds of hours of mind logic increasing skills worth!) chances are they don't give 2 ###### about being a "keyboard slave" or however you put it, they're probably enjoying it. you can already do such things with g-series mouse and equivalent (bind wzzzz, where z is prospect and w is move forward for example). locking away features in a game behind hundreds of hours of playing isn't going to entice new players to stay, and i have 0 idea how you could come to such a conclusion.

troll thread made to garner reactions. how original.

• Like 1

The fun part is that you dont even have to move tiles so why waste an action moving, just max your queue prospecting and tap a or d for lols after.

-1 wurm is a game about slavery and you as a player are its slave, get you fingers numb like the rest of us!

Jk, like people before me explained already of why not. 

5 hours ago, Themystrix said:

-1 wurm is a game about slavery and you as a player are its slave, get you fingers numb like the rest of us!

Jk, like people before me explained already of why not. 

Honestly it's the only reason us elitist old-timers are still here. We're shackled and nobody would want to buy an old, wasted away slave...

• Like 2

On 3/7/2019 at 9:11 PM, Aeris said:

The second section is implying that people are elitist for not agreeing with their own opinion

The general thrust of my suggestions (and gameplay choices) is not to accuse you all of being elitists, but to help the game by encouraging new people to play it and stick with it. The hate I've  gotten in return surprised me at first (I must not be cynical enough yet), but has demonstrated to me just how elitist the remaining population of Wurm is (and upon further consideration of human nature, I'd say it makes sense).

Your focus on my pointing out elitism, however, rather than the elitism itself, indicates to me you're part of that problem. :(

As to prospecting itself, I easily ground it up on Epic to 70, which is all I need, by the simply expedient of waiting until I had a nice queue size (8), mashing a keybind, and swapping to a new tile when ticks stopped happening.

So much gameplay that is! :P You all can flutter around the superficialities, but as a game, that sucks. Ironically, the appeal of such a mindless mechanic is primarily to those who desire to play without thinking. Need I continue down that path to the obvious conclusion? ;)

I -will- say that skill grinding in Wurm is so much noise and fluff, and Minecraft has much better fundamental sandbox mechanics. (If Minecraft had a huge, persistent MMO world with PvP, I'd drop Wurm for it in a heartbeat. The abuse of players inherent in Wurm does -not- inspire loyalty, which I think perhaps is the core point of the OP.)

Edited by Roccandil

WO is a pretty and nice game, with lots of potential (writing this after >5K hours of game play, prob more), but - always almost there, and you hope next release will deliver but after a while you understand - none is listening and likes the current state of things.

Until you give up on WO and give time and chance to other games in the same genre.

It is deep, and currently the only game there is, and we all hoped 'life is feudal' will listen and there will be competition (and WO will lose imho, when that will happen), and that didn't happened.

Hopefully something will change, cause all i'm left with is frustration, to tell you the truth, and I give up, you won, but will not feed WO anymore.

You will listen to feeding hands, or will not, the choice is yours.

Edited by Barfoot

Calmed down :) - I think i was burned out :), so came back to say that I understand that wurm needs to be that way, still - i think a lot of players can't afford investing so many hours, when the RL house needs them, and I do love wurm.