Sign in to follow this  
rixk

So.. mend

2 hours ago, Alyeska said:

No, losing 2 points of ql to repair .1 dmg is not mending. That's making it worse. It quite literally drops the effective quality which is the opposite of mending something.

But that was also a USEFUL feature

2 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

sunder+mend,,lava+mend, catapault+mend

meh+mend..

Mending currently is working like 70 repairing which is hyper op.. as I mentioned already, you could be having several 90+ skills and still not reached 70 repairing skill.

I'm not suggesting to return to old mechanic, but it's obvious that something that was used before to drop ql.. is now MISSING from the game. 

Could something be done about that?

Sure we could do all kinds of random dumb things to get damage on items, but none of them is straight forward process to cause xx damage on the item, no matter what ql the item is.

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Sure we could do all kinds of random dumb things to get damage on items, but none of them is straight forward process to cause xx damage on the item, no matter what ql the item is.

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Sunder

its quite literally a spell to do exactly what you're saying

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

But that was also a USEFUL feature

meh+mend..

Mending currently is working like 70 repairing which is hyper op.. as I mentioned already, you could be having several 90+ skills and still not reached 70 repairing skill.

I'm not suggesting to return to old mechanic, but it's obvious that something that was used before to drop ql.. is now MISSING from the game. 

There is already a spell that its sole purpose is to cause a specific amount of damage on an item exactly as you described and its been in the game since time immemorial. 

• Like 1

btw I was just trolling with the catapult anything, I was hoping the noob would make some post saying he blew up his rare items or something lmao

• Like 3

20 hours ago, rixk said:

It took me 5 shots to make 1 damage to a 69 ql butchering knife. Longer shots, shorter shots etc

Find a hedge with high QL. Activate the knife and choose the "Bash" option. Hedges still do huge damage to tools when *bashed* with them (much more than say stone walls) and you will do very little damage to the hedge as well. Examine the hedge and when it gets close to being destroyed move on to another one. Do this with an alt with low repairing skill (they will still need 21.00 body strength to bash) and you will lower the QL even more on repairing. Note that this is not the same as using the "cut down" option which will remove hedges in 1-2 faster actions. Of course this is done off deed too.

=Ayes=

21 hours ago, TradingAlt said:

if ur only doing that little damage you need to modify how you shoot

?

21 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Hint, winch the f**king thing.

?

19 hours ago, rixk said:

This was simple yes/no question. Did it or did it not mend before. I didn't ask, what you like or do not like?

Let's put this in perspective...

16 hours ago, Finnn said:

Yeaboi! Get ready!

Spoiler

15 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Sunder

its quite literally a spell to do exactly what you're saying

Lawd

I said LAWD

Spoiler

Amen

• Like 4

ok.. I did not ask for xx damage.. we're all talking about the OP and how now there's no way to cause the old -2ql or any other exact damage(read QL drop) with every cast/action, no matter what.

#ignore the quote.. focus, focus, focus… on the OP

Sure we could do all kinds of random dumb things to get damage on items, but none of them is straight forward process to cause xx damage on the item, no matter what ql the item is.

?

• Like 1

So the argument is that sunder is too random, and your imping/skiller generation business/whatever requires a precise 2ql reduction every time?  Or am I missing something?

It was a feature that was a thing, and now there's a gap for that case when you want to get something done, but there's no tool for it, not one that works with precision at least.

Or should we just roll sunder casts and calculate damage, repairing skills, have several f2p alts to use whenever we need this or that repairing multiplier?

I call that dumb. ?

--edit

&btw: I have no business of any kind messed in here or with the missing mechanic.

Edited by Finnn

Yes, but the purpose of mend is not to cause damage or lower quality to items. The purpose of mend is to mend damage on items. Due to the -2 base ql reduction on every cast you were forced to wait until your item had 20 damage in order to mend it. This was asinine. Basically you were not able to use the intended purpose of the spell until you had 20 damage, or you ended up with an even worse item after mending due to effective quality.

Before there was no way to mend things such as a wetstone until you had 20 damage. Now there is. That's an improvement and does not render the spell useless.

2 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Before there was no way to mend things such as a wetstone until you had 20 damage. Now there is. That's an improvement and does not render the spell useless.

It's unfortunate that the consequence to this change is that it'll be harder to lower tools in quality, but I can't even pretend like I'm not excited about being able to mend down my pelts and whetstones before they reach 20 damage!

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Finnn said:

It was a feature that was a thing, and now there's a gap for that case when you want to get something done, but there's no tool for it, not one that works with precision at least.

Or should we just roll sunder casts and calculate damage, repairing skills, have several f2p alts to use whenever we need this or that repairing multiplier?

I call that dumb. ?

--edit

&btw: I have no business of any kind messed in here or with the missing mechanic.

Sunder with a good skill priest does 20 damage. Mend when casted on a 20 damage item repair exactly 2 points of quality. Sunder does exactly what it is supposed to do, and so does mend - the main "problem" is that you need a higher skilled priest to get those 20 dmg sunder casts (I know, big problem, actually needing to get a skill up instead of just relying on an easy "click and go" mechanic). But mend is so very linear, there is no randomness involved or calculations. All casts work precisely as they should, as opposed to before, where a utility spell was used against it's exact purpose - that utility spell is now used for it's intended purpose and the spell designed to damage object is useful. I wouldn't call that dumb.

• Like 4

All this is only relevant because wurm has a stupid illogical skill system where you only get skill using worse and worse tools as skill goes up.

Imo there should not be a need to reduce ql of items.

• Like 1

I agree with both, but while the system works as it works, this is kind of a really useful feature, and now you need a good priest to not roll 95~ enchant.. but you toss several 20 damage casts on the item you want for a skiller.

My guess is... you'd sell/stash/giveaway/dump on alt..  the item.. and go buy a new one.. rather than paying somebody to cast 5-10-20x 20damage rolls on your skiller when needed.

8 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

have you considered casting spells on low ql tools

On 3/7/2019 at 8:06 PM, Finnn said:

I do not have a priest alt, I do not enchant anything.

And that was already suggested* as currently sunder isn't easy or good like old mending feature.

* "My guess is... you'd sell/stash/giveaway/dump on alt..  the item.. and go buy/make a new one.. rather than paying somebody to cast 5-10-20x 20damage rolls on your skiller when needed."

what happens when you catapult ql3 item at a wall??

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

what happens when you catapult ql3 item at a wall??

A ql3 item generally takes damage pretty quickly, so I'm sure a couple of turns with mend will sort it out even with how the spell works now: I haven't tested it yet though so that's just a guess.