Sign in to follow this  
rixk

So.. mend

In the past we could lower item ql by mending it. Now after the casting changes, how can we lower item ql quickly.

Edited by rixk

you still can use mend, just use a catapult to lower its quality

Yes, 0.2-0.3 damage per shot. As mends ql reduction is tied to the damage it mends, this really doesnt help.

if ur only doing that little damage you need to modify how you shoot

22 minutes ago, TradingAlt said:

you still can use mend, just use a catapult to lower its quality

NOoo....

You'd be better off using alt with low repairing instead of mending now.. as mend is equal to 70 repairing, something quite high.. considering.. you can be 99blacksmithing or 90smithing+ and still not having 70 repairing.

--edit

Still a way to do certain exact damage or ql drop per action is kind of needed to have a way to balance the QL of items.. instead of rng bashing, shooting, spawning lava everywhere and such... where nothing is certain for the outcome.

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 1

im able to do 20 dmg to items I fire out of a catapult, just tested this

to what ql items? does ql matter for the 'ammo' ? does material matter for the caused damage?

What if you have ql20 and you want to drop it to ql8 or 2?

ql of the item you shoot does not matter, although i'd suggest keeping ur effective ql above 25 to avoid shatter chance upon firing.

for items lower then 25ql I reccomend using a lava tile, it might not be the quickest  but it will achieve the result you desire.

It took me 5 shots to make 1 damage to a 69 ql butchering knife. Longer shots, shorter shots etc.

keep playing around with it, I could tell you exactly how to do it, but I'd rather not, gotta keep it interesting

13 minutes ago, rixk said:

It took me 5 shots to make 1 damage to a 69 ql butchering knife. Longer shots, shorter shots etc.

Hint, winch the f**king thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Angelklaine said:

Hint, winch the f**king thing.

200 tiles shots and then send search party into the forest looking for it? :D

Ah, it doesn't really matter. Another feature broken by eager devs, who don't really think things through before making changes. At least I landed nice CoC on the knife, probably helps a bit in the future also, so premming priest was not completely wasted.

16 minutes ago, rixk said:

I don't know how the mechanic works, so I am going to blame devs for my lack of gameplay knowledge

fixed that for you

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, rixk said:

Ah, it doesn't really matter. Another feature broken by eager devs, who don't really think things through before making changes.

Or, maybe it's about making mend more useful for what mend is meant to do, rather than waiting for the arbitrary limit of 20 dmg before you repair your unrepairables.

• Like 8

You know purpose of mend isn't for you to lower ql of items but to repair things that can't be repaired like pelts, whetstones (if you ask me those should be impable and repairable it's a crapy mechanic), potery, magic stuffs, etc, and lowering ql is just side effect and in some cases pretty bad one, so i'm glad they fixed that.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

Or, maybe it's about making mend more useful for what mend is meant to do, rather than waiting for the arbitrary limit of 20 dmg before you repair your unrepairables.

Are you saying mend is supposed to be used for MENDING things?

damn

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

Or.. I don't know.. maybe just not replace features, but ADD them. Sounds unheard of, isn't it? I couldn't give a damn about what mend does, when there was actually a comparable way to lower ql.

12 minutes ago, Alyeska said:

Are you saying mend is supposed to be used for MENDING things?

damn

And it didn't mend before? You should try bit harder..

1 hour ago, rixk said:

200 tiles shots and then send search party into the forest looking for it? :D

Ah, it doesn't really matter. Another feature broken by eager devs, who don't really think things through before making changes. At least I landed nice CoC on the knife, probably helps a bit in the future also, so premming priest was not completely wasted.

Since your creativity seems to be limited, I'll spell it out for you:

Set angle to something like 5, give it 30 winches, and fire the item at a wall.

Tell me how much damage it gets after that.

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, rixk said:

And it didn't mend before? You should try bit harder..

No I mean

I love having to wait till my whetstone hits 20 dmg before I mend it to minimize quality loss, just so you have an easier way to lower the ql on your knife when several other ways of doing so exists

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Sunder

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alyeska said:

No I mean

I love having to wait till my whetstone hits 20 dmg before I mend it to minimize quality loss, just so you have an easier way to lower the ql on your knife when several other ways of doing so exists 

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Sunder 

This was simple yes/no question. Did it or did it not mend before. I didn't ask, what you like or do not like?

13 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Since your creativity seems to be limited, I'll spell it out for you:

Set angle to something like 5, give it 30 winches, and fire the item at a wall.

Tell me how much damage it gets after that.

Actually I let my creativity fly.. and shot the stuff at 30 winches in 85 degree angle in the air. But thanks, will try tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rixk said:

Actually I let my creativity fly.. and shot the stuff at 30 winches in 85 degree angle in the air. But thanks, will try tomorrow.

This is funny. Gave me a good laugh imagining it.

2 minutes ago, rixk said:

This was simple yes/no question. Did it or did it not mend before. I didn't ask, what you like or do not like?

What Alyeska means is the reason Mend got fixed is because it was never intended to be used to lower quality. The way it was coded it reduced the intended purpose of it: to mend things with minimal ql loss.

That is what Sunder is for. Sunder causes a big lump of damage you can repair and lower the quality of the item. There are other ways too you can use, like catapulting items, burning them (burnable ones) or dropping them in a lava tile. Depending on its nature there is much more you can do.

Leaving mend the way it was just because it was convenient to lower item ql was a disservice to the spell.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rixk said:

What I imagined:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rixk said:

No, losing 2 points of ql to repair .1 dmg is not mending. That's making it worse. It quite literally drops the effective quality which is the opposite of mending something.