Sign in to follow this  
Koreal

Wurm on ARM Linux SoftFP

Hello,

I have a handheld Linux computer called a Pandora, which uses a Cortex A8 CPU, which is ARM Soft-Float.

I've been trying to get Wurm to work on it, so I can play on the go.  However, Oracle does not release binaries for Soft-Float ARM, only HardFP.  I have a working OpenJDK 6 compile which I tried, but it crashes when loading the JNLP file.  I tried to get a newer version, but as far as I can tell none of the JRE or JDK 9 or 10 have the Java Web Start binary.

I'm not really sure what to do at this point.  Is there an alternate (non-WebStart) way to launch the game?

Thanks!

converts source to...

stackoverflow is the right place for this question for sure, BUT... if you decompile and recompile the classes or convert them to whatever.. that's messing with wurm stuff.. which is .. probably fairly.. ILLEGAL, at the very least should flag you logging in WO..

For personal WU server, nobody cares, you're free to hack-away your own world.

Open a new thread on stackoverflow or w/e stack*.. of the network, asking if there's some 'native' way to run wurm/minecraft on your device, afaik both games have common libs which they use and therefore requirements~(wild guess)

Good luck o7

On 3/4/2019 at 5:57 PM, Koreal said:

Hello,

I have a handheld Linux computer called a Pandora, which uses a Cortex A8 CPU, which is ARM Soft-Float.

I've been trying to get Wurm to work on it, so I can play on the go.  However, Oracle does not release binaries for Soft-Float ARM, only HardFP.  I have a working OpenJDK 6 compile which I tried, but it crashes when loading the JNLP file.  I tried to get a newer version, but as far as I can tell none of the JRE or JDK 9 or 10 have the Java Web Start binary.

I'm not really sure what to do at this point.  Is there an alternate (non-WebStart) way to launch the game?

Thanks!

Did you try Java 8? That's the supported version for wurm.

Oh and you'll probably need to find/build whatever native libs wurm uses (i bet on lwjgl as the most fun in that regard).

Speaking of, does the device have full OpenGL support and drivers? If it's just OpenGL ES you probably won't be able to run wurm on it either way.

Sorry for the long delay, my handheld was damaged and had to be repaired before I could continue trying to make this work.

On 3/4/2019 at 3:27 PM, Sn00 said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding here, but I don't have the source code to Wurm Online nor do I understand how converting it to LLVM will get the JNLP file to load the launcher.

On 3/5/2019 at 3:42 PM, bdew said:

Did you try Java 8? That's the supported version for wurm.

Oh and you'll probably need to find/build whatever native libs wurm uses (i bet on lwjgl as the most fun in that regard).

Speaking of, does the device have full OpenGL support and drivers? If it's just OpenGL ES you probably won't be able to run wurm on it either way.

It seems to be extremely difficult to obtain Java Web Start from Java 8 for ARM SoftFP.  All Java 7 and 8 JDK or JRE builds for ARM softfp I could find either omit javaws binary entirely, or use the one from OpenJDK 6.

As for OpenGL, it is ES, however there is a compatibility layer called gl2es that allows many OpenGL games to run on an OpenGLES platform.  I'm hoping it will at least get me into the game, even if the graphics are laggy or messed up.  I can use world_render=false to log in a character on my handheld while (for example) at work, loading just the UI so I can work on stuff in my inventory and chat.

I did a bit of googling and found an open source project that implements javaws - https://icedtea.classpath.org/wiki/IcedTea-Web#Netx

No idea how hard would it be to get it running on your machine but might be worth a try.

In general you could even skip the javaws part entirely - just manually grab all the jars and libraries the jnlp mentions and run java directly. 

Thank you for your suggestion.

I tried IcedTea-Web, but after trying 1.7 I got some error and exception when trying to run the JNLP with that Web Start version.  I had to build a more updated version of Rust to try IcedTea-Web 1.8, and that took awhile, but once I did I tried that too and got the same errors.  It looks like it's trying to find a classfile for javafx.application.Application and failing.

How do I skip the java web start entirely?  I have all the jars and libraries already, but I'm not sure which jar to run that will load the launcher so I can log in and try to play.

You cannot run the Wurm Online client without Java Web Start, jnlps are the only supported way to start the game.

Drat.  bdew had gotten my hopes up :)

Well, I'll keep trying things and report back if I have any luck.  Thanks for the help!