Sign in to follow this  
Ismira

30/day limit

If a deeded area has been disbanded for over 3/mo allow for destruction of housing (like Sklotopolis) especially if a player has not been active in over a month and the deed has been down for 3/mo or more.

If that is not possible then

Put the signatures of the creators on the buildings to allow for open communication between players.  

I have mixed feelings about allowing the destruction of housing on PvE servers. It's a can of worms best left sealed, IMO.

That said, I would really like owner of buildings to be visible on examine. In addition to communication, I can imagine it might prevent some instances of griefing.

• Like 1

It's a free pixel world, Owners are free to name their buildings or NOT if they don't want to.

I see no reason to forcefully rename the buildings.

I'd rather draw the line at .. alerting the owner by mail a month, 30days, than 15 days before deed drops; and that should probably be a feature turned on by choice or only for deeds older than xx months.

As for the free land that the place turns to.. players are able to return and redeed the place while they own the buildings, I see no harm in how it all works currently.

As for the alert before/after deed falls, there have been a suggestion for that already, afaik still not implemented.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Finnn said:

It's a free pixel world, Owners are free to name their buildings or NOT if they don't want to.

I see no reason to forcefully rename the buildings.

I don't think she meant renaming the buildings, but rather just showing a signature/owner, as you would on a boat or a cart upon examining.

They just should do away with off deed permissions, it's getting abused hard. 

32 minutes ago, Schiann said:

I don't think she meant renaming the buildings, but rather just showing a signature/owner, as you would on a boat or a cart upon examining.

Half the people use alts to own their deeds for whatever reasons, some even prevent access to their tokens, do you think they want you to know who owns them? (there's niarja village search to look for owners) but besides that.. so far in-game no other solution.

1 hour ago, Ismira said:

If a deeded area has been disbanded for over 3/mo allow for destruction of housing (like Sklotopolis) especially if a player has not been active in over a month and the deed has been down for 3/mo or more.

The problem with this suggestion is people who live off deed because they don't want to pay prem. What about those buildings then? Should someone be allowed to bash my house just because I never chose to pay for a deed?

1 hour ago, Ismira said:

Put the signatures of the creators on the buildings to allow for open communication between players.  

But I don't want you to know I own my off deed house so you don't bother me about blowing up my building. Basically people enjoy their privacy. If they wanted you to know who built their house, they'd put their name on it. Besides, what happens when a house is sold, or not built by the current owner?

Basically asume that if a house is there, then the owner doesn't want you to have it. Move on. There's plenty of empty spots in the game now.

• Like 4

This suggestion just allows for a faster looting of the buildings contents so I am not really for it. I have at times waited many months for buildings to decay completely to expand deeds. In another instance a large unused deed completely covered all of the clay deposit around it. I had to wait 10-12 months for that one to go down. Then I quickly placed a deed with perimeter over the clay and built it in such a way that everyone would always have access to dig it. Patience always wins out in the end.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

I respect everyone's opinions on the matter and also agree with some of the augments. But I do not agree with Angelklaine second comment (a bit rude) but to your comment tell me why should someone have to wait? if you or they are no longer at that location why leave a building up when you left the spot. you moved on so clean up your mess I mean come on that should be a given. I guess I am one that believes if leaving a area why not give it away or clean it up for the next person..

@ Finnn please re-read the suggestion ?

Edited by Ismira

Who's to say what is a mess, leftovers, or someones's non-premium masterpiece and/or disaster. But I do agree to leave some inscription as to who created an ensemble (this in in play today on most items). With that said .. no to 30 day to 500 day bashing but yes to w(ho)tf do I plead beg and borrow from...

Edited by Silvanoshaya
  • Like 1

I do not agree with any of this suggestion, but I will specifically address what you feel is an insignificant issue: 

On 3/3/2019 at 5:40 PM, Ismira said:

Absolutely not.

Before I knew better, I made a small shack that I did not rename. It was a placeholder to expand my deed when another building to the west had decayed from a player that had left long ago. Someone wanted to deed there, and it created a huge amount of drama. This extended to the point of harassment, even on other platforms, and several friendships lost. I even ended up taking an extended break from the game (initially I'd left, but came back because I love the game.), but it's not like it was.  So no, you shouldn't be forced to have a signature on a building. There is far less drama possible from a signature on a tool or weapon than is possible from a building which takes up space that someone wants to deed on (Valuable real estate).  It should be my choice if I wish for my name to appear on a building, in any form.

If someone is leaving an area for good, sometimes they have the courtesy to destroy the buildings. Speeding up the aging of buildings off deed, as much as their presence may annoy us, is not a change that is needed. There are already mechanics in place that would help along the destruction of a building if it is in a place you want - you can expand a perimeter over it.  Make a little deed with a big perimeter, and wait. Nothing in this game is fast, nor should be getting that perfect abandoned location you have your eye on.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 5:40 PM, Ismira said:

If a deeded area has been disbanded for over 3/mo allow for destruction of housing (like Sklotopolis)

Come to think of it on Sklo *one wall of the house must be decayed away* in addition to the player not having logged in for 90 days for other players being able to rclick the building and then remove it completely. This is not such a bad idea then on that basis since the house contents have already been able to be looted from it.

=Ayes=

On 3/3/2019 at 11:22 PM, Ismira said:

I guess I am one that believes if leaving a area why not give it away or clean it up for the next person..

They got there first, maybe they're taking a break from wurm and come back to the "mess" later. Not everytime you find an off-deed house it means someone left it and moved on. I have various stone houses in places that I occasionally visit but do not want to pay deed upkeep for every single one of them. It's not like wurm is running out of room anytime soon that I see a need to allow people to break down other people's structures.

When you remove the enclosure rule to prevent sprawling fences occupying non deeded land and blocking out new players, but then add a new permission system that makes this possible again.

On 3/4/2019 at 12:22 AM, Ismira said:

I respect everyone's opinions on the matter and also agree with some of the augments. But I do not agree with Angelklaine second comment (a bit rude) but to your comment tell me why should someone have to wait? if you or they are no longer at that location why leave a building up when you left the spot. you moved on so clean up your mess I mean come on that should be a given. I guess I am one that believes if leaving a area why not give it away or clean it up for the next person..

@ Finnn please re-read the suggestion ?

Because just because people are not living there it doesn't mean they don't care about their 3x3 off deed spot in coastal Xanadu.

Many people have hunting homes. They make a 3x3 off deed with some essentials. They don't deed it because they don't want to pay the upkeep for just a 3x3. Inside they can keep a horse or two, a bed, a larder, some bsbs and fsbs, an oven, a chest, etc. Players might spend a week there grinding fight skill, then leave back to their main deed the rest of the time. Or maybe they are from Chaos and have no deed on freedom, but hold a simple spot to store valuables in.

Why should they not be allowed to have their little spot? Your (or anyone else's desire) to have the place doesn't mean the current inhabitant should be displaced. What happens when I have a spot like that, live on chaos for a couple of weeks and then have to go out on military drill, come back a couple weeks later to find out my home is gone with everything in it? 

You have the option to extend your permiter over my little house, sure, but this gives me the time I need to come back to the game and move my stuff out before you melt the place down with accelerated decay. But saying that I am not allowed to have an off deed spot because it means you have to wait to get my spot (No, you can't have it, its mine) its a bit presumptuous. 

I had some neighbors that lived off deed for as long as I knew them. They two guys lived on the outskirts of Southwind Port in Celebration. Both of them lived off deed, and were very active. They were both bulk makers and produced bulk for everyone at pretty reasonable prices. Should they not be allowed to live off deed?

The game cannot differentiate between a person who lives off deed by choice vs. someone who abandoned their place. I get why you made your suggestion. You want to be able to remove the rubble left behind by abandoned deeds with decaying structures. The issue is there is no way for code to determine player intentions, so you either allow everyone to have safe off deed housing, or you don't allow it at all.

• Like 2

Actually it is pretty simple:

If a house is off-deed, and the owner has not logged in for 3 months, it becomes a ruin.

Give the owner a warning at the 1 month/1 week marks via the email address linked to the account (default on but can be turned off).  Both for deed drop and 3 month mark.

If the owner has not been online for 3 months, and the deed drops?  Insta-loot.

1 hour ago, Etherdrifter said:

If a house is off-deed, and the owner has not logged in for 3 months, it becomes a ruin.

Give the owner a warning at the 1 month/1 week marks via the email address linked to the account (default on but can be turned off).  Both for deed drop and 3 month mark.

This already works this way essentially. This is why some buildings take seemingly forever to decay: The player logs in.  Even if they aren't at that location, the account is active and the decay is slowed.

Example: A building in my perimeter took more than 6 months to disappear. Found out the former player had loaned his buddy the account to use as an alt while he was away.  Account logged in several times a week.  He was kind enough to just kaboom the building after all that time.

My neighbor, a long standing deed, stopped playing and his deed fell on February 19th. The building is already missing walls, and those that remain have at least 60 damage.  He doesn't log in, it's been less than 30 days since the deed fell.

By not having a specifically timed event of "Insta-loot" there aren't people timing it out on niarja to be ready with wagons to haul things away and there's the potential adventure of finding a wall down and an untouched relic for all players, new and old.

Edited by Seriphina
  • Like 2

On 3/7/2019 at 4:54 AM, Etherdrifter said:

I think some of the code actually works like this already

There is so much empty space in the game (with the exception of Deliverance, of course), so it'd be way harsh to allow people to destroy buildings just because a deed has fallen. The houses decay naturally over time, and to speed it up you can place a perimeter over them. If you're not willing to place a deed in order to speed it up it's debatable why you should even be allowed to bash the houses, because why would one non-deeding person deserve the spot better than another non-deeding person? It just becomes a tangled web of nonsensical arguments back and forth. I understand where you're coming from with the suggestion, but it makes no real sense to allow for it.

I know that a lot of people grief others by placing houses in various spots, but then again: Lots of people place houses in various spots for valid purposes that have nothing to do with griefing. I think that the ability to instantly know who owns every house that you come across would bring more problems than it would solve, because then people would have a name to be annoyed with. If perhaps two people play during wildly different hours of the day and week and never come across each other in-game but run into each other's houses in places where they think that they "deserve" to get access to the land they might imagine far worse reasons for the house being there than what the truth is. And I also don't imagine someone enjoying getting PMs requesting them to "please remove your house".

It might help people locate the names of a griefer or two if they were able to see the house owner on examination, but mostly I think it'd cause unnecessary disputes between two people who probably just have slightly differing views on what is "proper house placement". Even if you figure out the name of a griefer it won't help with anything since GMs won't interfere to resolve arguments regarding deeded vs. non-deeded land. The obvious downside to having the owner displayed on the house is that people who feel entitled to land that they want will see it as a personal affront that the house is there, and start beef with the house owner (even though the one who built the house was there first). I personally think that this downside is way bigger than any upside that it could possibly bring, and it reminds me of when people started living on Golden Valley and scared away all real newbies by claiming ownership of all the trees and mines on the server.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 4:32 AM, Angelklaine said:

Many people have hunting homes. They make a 3x3 off deed with some essentials. They don't deed it because they don't want to pay the upkeep for just a 3x3. Inside they can keep a horse or two, a bed, a larder, some bsbs and fsbs, an oven, a chest, etc. Players might spend a week there grinding fight skill, then leave back to their main deed the rest of the time. Or maybe they are from Chaos and have no deed on freedom, but hold a simple spot to store valuables in.

You also have people that have a TON of 1x1's every 11 tiles for a large-ish area surrounding their deed so you can't deed it. There is an island on xan with a small deed in the middle and the entire rest of the island is covered with 1x1's to prevent deeding.

I'm OK with a hunting lodge, but it's an easily abused system. Maybe limit the number of off-deed buildings you can have?

2 hours ago, zethreal said:

You also have people that have a TON of 1x1's every 11 tiles for a large-ish area surrounding their deed so you can't deed it. There is an island on xan with a small deed in the middle and the entire rest of the island is covered with 1x1's to prevent deeding.

I'm OK with a hunting lodge, but it's an easily abused system. Maybe limit the number of off-deed buildings you can have?

Yes I know the deed you are talking about and its owner. And if its the same deed, she paid 75 silver for the whole island and shrunk the deed to save on upkeep. Her right to the island seems stronger to me than that of some random dude who would just wish to live there just because island. Using an off deed 1x1 house is a legitimate way to claim a spot.

A 500 off deed farm with long houses around it is a legitimate land claim.

A 1x1 with a bed and a pen with two horses on a coast is a legitimate land claim.

Just because you want the spot doesn't mean you have a legitimate claim to it. So yes, leave off deed houses alone. Many of us have legitimate reasons to have them.

• Like 1

-1, generally - and specifically to identifying who owns the house.