Sign in to follow this  
Roccandil

Allow people to buy new, skilled accounts

1 hour ago, Ayes said:

A fair number of players have played and paid to play this game for 8-12 years on their main account. They have not purchased these accounts but have worked for all these skills themselves. This time and money involvement equals in effect Characters that have *earned* whatever benefits that these skills and experiences provide. Why should these earned Skills and the opportunities that they provide be taken away from them? Why would they want to voluntarily want to give them up? Why should newer players be provided with some types of shortcuts to these ends? This is not rational thinking but rather wanting the fast road regardless of what efforts others have put forth before their arrival.

Even if we're discussing Freedom, even if 30 skill is too much, is that really that much of a shortcut to the level of a decade old account?

Now, your thinking is constricted: let's widen it a little. All these decade-old accounts you speak of, that are afraid of the idea of people able to buy a 30-skill account, so greedy they're afraid to give new players a chance to catch up a tiny bit in a very old game: has it ever occurred to you that those same new players would buy from you all? Would start populating villages that are empty? Start providing enough content and population to attract even more people?

If Wurm indeed dies, the contribution will not be insignificant from short-sighted people like you. You may be a big fish in a small pond, but the pond is draining. :(

9 minutes ago, Cecci said:

And exactly how would Codeclub survive on your suggested new way?

How are they going to survive now?

Dont avoid my question with a question, explain how you feel this will benefit the game.

• Like 3

No pay to win thanks, if anything don't allow buying or selling of accounts

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Ayes said:

A fair number of players have played and paid to play this game for 8-12 years on their main account. They have not purchased these accounts but have worked for all these skills themselves. This time and money involvement equals in effect Characters that have *earned* whatever benefits that these skills and experiences provide. Why should these earned Skills and the opportunities that they provide be taken away from them? Why would they want to voluntarily want to give them up? Why should newer players be provided with some types of shortcuts to these ends? This is not rational thinking but rather wanting the fast road regardless of what efforts others have put forth before their arrival.

The game reflects real life outside of it in respect to earning things and growing character over time to advance in whatever path the individual chooses to pursue. Not really hard to grasp this basic concept yet strangely some newer players discard it in their envy of those who have progressed much farther than them. Perhaps they will never "catch up" but that is the advantage that earning something over a longer period of time provides. Even then some newer players will circumvent this whole learning process by purchasing highly skilled accounts and then speak as if they know what the game is all about. I dare say that they have skipped over the heart of it and then attempt to change it to fit their minimal experience. Yes indeed, a sad story, for them anyway.

=Ayes=

Note that I did start the somewhat long sentence with "if something needs to be done for Epic".

I completely agree with you & likewise do not want anything that takes away from the hard effort people have put in over the years. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Roccandil said:

Already re-upped. For a year. :P

Easy mode? Detract from work put in? Do it on Epic; leave Freedom as-is.

Why should players pay to keep playing after their 1-month 2s prem runs out? Wurm is needy: it basically says, to really play without wasting your time, you've got to pay up, and if you pay up, you better be only playing me to get your money's worth.

That loses you players.

On the other hand, giving players the option of paying a decent amount of money for a decent start isn't anything new, the only difference is that the sale benefits the developers directly. Also, the skill cap increase means players don't feel like they have to stop playing if prem runs out.

Bottom line: a player still in Wurm is more likely to spend money on Wurm than one who isn't. The existing system pushes people who might otherwise play out the door.

15 hours ago, Roccandil said:

Even if we're discussing Freedom, even if 30 skill is too much, is that really that much of a shortcut to the level of a decade old account?

Now, your thinking is constricted: let's widen it a little. All these decade-old accounts you speak of, that are afraid of the idea of people able to buy a 30-skill account, so greedy they're afraid to give new players a chance to catch up a tiny bit in a very old game: has it ever occurred to you that those same new players would buy from you all? Would start populating villages that are empty? Start providing enough content and population to attract even more people?

If Wurm indeed dies, the contribution will not be insignificant from short-sighted people like you. You may be a big fish in a small pond, but the pond is draining. :(

You've gone from "Make it only on Epic" if freedom don't agree to discussing Freedom when Epic don't agree.

Basically every response has been negative, and your posts throughout have always been trying to defend the idea. 

Ultimately I think this suggestion is a lost cause.

1 vote "for" (yours) and the rest "against" isn't worth taking further. 

@Roccandil

Have you tried Wurm Unlimited? Between server settings and mods i'm pretty sure you can get the game you're after.

Wurm Online isn't it.

On 3/3/2019 at 10:22 PM, Cecci said:

Dont avoid my question with a question, explain how you feel this will benefit the game.

I tend to question questions that impose frame of reference assumptions. :) (Have you stopped beating your wife lately?)

In this case, however, you've asked a different question, which seems fair enough. As I wrote elsewhere, my goal is keeping non-prem players used to playing Wurm between periods of paying prem, instead of (like now) conditioning them to not play at all, which risks losing them entirely.

I realize folks are focusing on the account sale suggestion, but I feel like the critical aspect is changing how the skillcap works (which is why I started a separate suggestion for that). Two aspects of the current non-prem situation pressure players to pay up or quit:

- They have to play at skill 20 (not fun, pretty much useless)

- Any grinding is wasted (again, not much fun)

The goal of the cap changes I suggested is to remove the pressure on the player to leave if they let premium lapse.

At the same time, I see many players who come, play for a premium cycle, and then leave. Providing an attractive up-front payment option means that anyone who chooses that option, and leaves anyway, has contributed more to the developers, while at the same time, they're encouraged to return and keep playing, in a way that doesn't exist now.

The benefit to having more non-prem players is an increased population, a busier economy, and more player-content generated: all of which will tend to attract more players, some of whom will pay for premium.

9 hours ago, Vaelir said:

You've gone from "Make it only on Epic" if freedom don't agree to discussing Freedom when Epic don't agree.

Basically every response has been negative, and your posts throughout have always been trying to defend the idea. 

Ultimately I think this suggestion is a lost cause.

1 vote "for" (yours) and the rest "against" isn't worth taking further. 

I found the elitist mentality of the Freedomers notable in itself, beyond the bounds of my suggestion. I now have a very good Epic account, but I would gladly make what I have a little easier to get for newer players, if it meant more player retention and a higher population (and higher overall revenue to Wurm).

6 minutes ago, Eilesia said:

@Roccandil

Have you tried Wurm Unlimited? Between server settings and mods i'm pretty sure you can get the game you're after.

Wurm Online isn't it.

WU is not what I'm after. :)

• Like 1

-1 but I see what you tried to do. 

I rather buy skill injectors that give x3 for x silver for x time

When u thought roccandil couldnt go any further.... Oh boy did you deliver

• Like 1

-1, account buying or selling shouldn't be possible at all.

what mclovin suggested is pretty cool idea for skill gain boost if you feel like wurm is too slow paced. EXP scrolls or whatever to do the trick. Purchable only from traders with silvers or with real money from devs, but then again.. we already have sleep powders, affinities, affinity foods, CoC... or Skill cap increaser 100€ to get to 30 skill cap like you suggested before, whatever but not ready skilled accounts, if you want it easy, play epic, dont turn our isles to that........ crap. 

• Like 1