Sign in to follow this  
Malajane

Fertilizers

FERTILIZERS

#1 MINERAL FERTILIZER = ASH + BONE MEAL

#2 ORGANIC FERTILIZER = TANNIN + BONE MEAL

Mainly:

Introducing bone (item) and two types of fertilizers: first accelerate growth rate, second gives crops QL bonus. Details below.

New items require to add:

• bone - animal part, butchering product (excl. anaconda, blue whale, calf, cave bug, chicken, crab, dolphin, foal, fog spider, hell scorpious, huge shark, huge spider, lamb, lava fiend, lava spider, octopus, sea serpent, scorpion, sea cub, uniques), weight 0,5kg, skill - butchering
    0sIzL02.jpg

• bone meal - product of milling a bone with a grindstone (21 milling skill is required for milling the bones; QL of bone meal depends on bone ql, grindstone ql and milling skill), weight 0,2kg, skill - milling
    x9qBl3X.jpg

• mineral fertilizer - bone meal + ash, weight 0,3kg (0,2kg of bone meal + 0,1kg of ash), skill - alchemy
    2orwtl5.jpg

• organic fertilizer - bone meal + tannin, weight 0,7kg (0,2kg of bone meal + 0,5kg of tannin), skill - alchemy
    hn8rE83.jpg

New after-effects needed to add:

• mineral fertilizer - accelerate growth rate by one stage; 48h cooldown per tile

• field - e.g. freshly sown > sprouting, untended (only tended field could use fertilizer)

• tree - 9 stages, age restriction - up to old
      (0, 1, 2, 3) You see a young Birch tree.
      (4, 5, 6, 7s) You see a mature Birch tree. (s - sprouting)
      (8) You see an old Birch tree.

• bush - 9 stages, age restriction - up to old
      (0, 1, 2, 3) You see a young Camelia bush.
      (4, 5, 6, 7s) You see a mature Camelia bush. (s - sprouting)
      (8) You see an old Camelia bush.

• grass - short>medium>tall>wild

• hedge - low>medium>high

• organic fertilizer - gives +10% QL on crops while harvesting, works once on tile till harvesting (excl. barley, oat, rye, wheat to balance harvesting rune).

• Information at Examine: "The field is fertilized (organic)."

Usage:

Activate fertilizer > ppm on tile > Fertilize

3VvzG10.jpg

In addition: bones have huge potential - might be used as a tool, weapon or hook (fishing), but it's not the subject of this suggestion ;)

Regards Malajane & Sappiro

UPDATE:

Suggestions about making fertilizers easier to use or “worthwhile” were considered.

Long lasting effect - QL
AoE effect - weight

Bulking

Quality dependence - the higher QL the longer effect (only for organic fert.)

[Time from sow to harvesting - ca. 7 days IRL]

0 - 20ql - 7 days
20,01 - 50ql - 14 days

50,01 - 70ql - 21 days
70,01 - 90ql - 28 days

90,01 - 100ql - 35 days

If effect is ending before harvesting it last longer till harvesting or rotting (but no effect on rotten weeds).

Weight dependence - more weight > wider effect (you just have to combine proper quantity)

[mineral max - 0,3*64 = 19,2kg]
[organic max - 0,7*64 = 44,8kg]

1 tile        - 0,3/0,7kg         (1 fert.)
9 tiles      - 3/7kg               (10 ferts.)         3x3 fertilize in the middle 

25 tiles    - 9/21kg             (30 ferts.)        5x5 fertilize in the middle

49 tiles    - 19,2/44,8kg     (64 ferts.)        7x7 fertilize in the middle

UQ1ewPf.png

Bulking:

bones - bsb

bone meal - bsb

mineral/organic fertilizer - bsb

Regards Malajane & Sappiro

Edited by Malajane
Update
  • Like 7

The numbers might need tweaking so that the effort of making fertilizer and fertilizing is worthwhile (maybe each fertilizer unit could be used multiple times?), but general +1 to the idea. I like that it finds new uses for ash and milling skill.

• Like 1

This needs a distribution model that is not so manual, action per tile.. even if that was the only way.. I'd expect to get 2-3x yield and to last for a IRL month or until tile's packed

Most people who farm have thousands of farm tiles.. I can not imagine anyone using per tile action.. for just 1 3-4day harvest.. I'd expect 10x yield if the buff lasts 1 harvest..(which is unrealistic); but could drop some checks for the server if optimizing mechanics was a thing wurm goes for..

I'd +1 the idea if it was less needy mechanic

As for OP tree growth buff.. this only helps if you're desperate for few nuts and fruits and season is knocking on your door.

As long bone's not too common this could be self-balanced to not spawn 1k tiles and keep replanting with every next season's tree type to harvest or skipping one seasoned harvest.. but if bones are way too common to get.. makes it easy to meta small tile spots and just replant and 'wild-growth' change them to harvestable within irl week.

Edited by Finnn

27 minutes ago, Gwyn said:

The numbers might need tweaking so that the effort of making fertilizer and fertilizing is worthwhile (maybe each fertilizer unit could be used multiple times?), but general +1 to the idea. I like that it finds new uses for ash and milling skill.

Interesting option, how about:
> fertilizer might be used 1 time each 0,1kg (but i'm not sure if that won't lead to exploit)
> each bone might be milled twice - 0,5kg + grindstone> 0,25kg (0,05kg lost in action) and again 0,25kg + grindstone> 0 (0,05kg lost), so here we have 2 bone meals (0,2kg each) from one bone

+1. Numbers might have room for adjusting but overall well thought idea. And brings things to skills that most needs love which i like a lot :)

I love a suggestion that is well thought out- and this one clearly is. Pictures make it easy for anyone to understand whether English is their first language or not so hopefully you will get a good selection of comments, replies and further suggestions.

I am thinking that the development team are busy at the moment trying to solve existing issues but once that is sorted and they have some free moments- yes please.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compost

Maybe some stone urn or recipient, big enough to throw everything that like trash bin, so can get the some compost from it, would acelerate the process using coal or coal powder (coal + grindstone), also can use bonemeal. so any organic item coult transform into it.

• Like 1

Native Americans and many others used to just dig a small hole by hand, drop a fish in, and plant the seed on top. This worked very well and was one of the tricks taught to the original settlers and by which some narrowly survived.

Activate fish, right click dirt tile, and fertilize/plant the fish in the soil. Then, plant the seed as normal and get whatever bonus heeded by the fertilized tile.

Just an idea for a simplified starter fertilizer system for the game.

• Like 2

+1 

I like things that can reduce the overall time investment with a few extra steps done now and then.

On 3/1/2019 at 1:11 PM, Malajane said:

UPDATE:

Suggestions about making fertilizers easier to use or “worthwhile” were considered.

Long lasting effect - QL
AoE effect - weight

Bulking

Suggestion was updated :D

Edited by Malajane

I like idea, maybe need "tweak" some numbers and don't forgot Wild growth affect also tree age.

how about using fertilizer for container gardening of crops? Perhaps underground, or in simple garden beds, but to eliminate the need of having to have actual fields. Mushrooms too. That also helps with the problem of having to re-apply or it becoming a must - have for regular farming. Kindof like how grape trellises vs grape bushes work.

13 hours ago, Alyeska said:

how about using fertilizer for container gardening of crops? Perhaps underground, or in simple garden beds, but to eliminate the need of having to have actual fields. Mushrooms too. That also helps with the problem of having to re-apply or it becoming a must - have for regular farming. Kindof like how grape trellises vs grape bushes work.

Eliminate the need of fields is NOT our intention. Gardening containers (e.g. gardening beds) are also interesting option however it might be too much for one suggestion. As long as mushroom cultivation isn't implemented we can't add it as an option to be fertilized.