Sign in to follow this  
whereami

Wurm consistently causing BSOD or system hang

This has been happening for quite a while to be honest, but it's just recently started to occur with such frequency that it has become a MAJOR inconvenience. Used to happen once or twice a month, now this is 5 or 6 times a freaking DAY which to me is unacceptable.

For a while I thought it was my CPU or Mobo, because I kept getting some message that had something to do with kernel-level drivers. I have let it idle, sit doing nothing, sit with benchmark load, and played many other (far more intensive) games and not encountered a single issue. My machine seems to be in perfect condition as far as I can tell.

Now, when I looked at a recent minidump file created by Windows after BSOD, the message had changed... It now says the fault application is "jp2launcher", and Wurm is the only program I use that utilizes Java in virtually any fashion. So my belief is that since this only happens when playing Wurm.. the client or something used by it must be to blame.

I can upload a minidump file if it will help find the problem, but it really doesn't contain a whole lot of information. It does copy some dumped memory however so maybe it could help. There aren't any crash logs, either Java or Wurm-client logs created by this, since it always results in the immediate shutdown of the affected system.

BSOD is not the only thing that will happen here. Often time my screen just ends up freezing and I get no mouse movement, everything stops until the PC is reset.

Quick System Specs:

Spoiler

Windows 7 SP1 64-bit

Java 8 64-bit (updated yesterday)

AMD Eight-core FX-8150 CPU

Nvidia GTX 1060 GPU

Let me know what further information is needed from me to help locate the problem. Thanks!

Edited by whereami

No program should be able to BSOD or hang your computer by itself.

While BSODs usually indicate some kind of system instability, screen freezing is often caused by overheating or bad drivers too - so you might want to try updating your graphics drivers.

Other than that, it's just issues with the system itself or the machine. Perhaps the benchmarks you're using aren't putting an equally high load on both CPU and GPU, and maybe Wurm hangs for you in those situations?

As a workaround: do you play with the frame limiter turned on (Graphics settings)? That should ease the load since without that, it's just running as fast as it can until it gets bottlenecked by something.

• Like 1

My understanding (might be wrong) is that BSOD usually lists the last file that crashed which is not always what caused the crash -- it usually takes a lot of other stuff that is also running down too. That's one reason why BSODs are such pains to troubleshoot.  Registry errors, file corruptions, viruses, overclocking, bad drivers and failing hardware are a common issue.  Wikipedia says:  "Depending on the error number and its nature, all, some, or even none of the parameters contain data pertaining to what went wrong, and/or where it happened. "

Usually if it is a single program, only that one program will crash to desktop without taking down the entire operating system.  The fact that it is ESCALATING  so very radically -- from once or twice a month, to 5 or 6 times a DAY -- really really sounds to me like failing hardware that will go out at any time now.  If you have anything overclocked, the first thing I would do is reset all hardware to factory defaults, though it might be too late with the escalation you are seeing. Try also the "Repair My Computer" option in case there are damaged system files. And I ALWAYS run games with frame limiters turned on, usually set to 30 or 60.  Just too expensive for me to keep buying a new videocard every two years otherwise.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Probably try running a memtest to see if anything pops up.

6 hours ago, Samool said:

No program should be able to BSOD or hang your computer by itself.

While BSODs usually indicate some kind of system instability, screen freezing is often caused by overheating or bad drivers too - so you might want to try updating your graphics drivers.

Other than that, it's just issues with the system itself or the machine. Perhaps the benchmarks you're using aren't putting an equally high load on both CPU and GPU, and maybe Wurm hangs for you in those situations?

As a workaround: do you play with the frame limiter turned on (Graphics settings)? That should ease the load since without that, it's just running as fast as it can until it gets bottlenecked by something.

Your words "should be" are very much the same words I was using when describing the problem to myself. However, I am no noobie to tech support. I've been doing software analytics for many years and this has stumped me - Everything I can find points towards Java as the cause of the problem.

I have run Memtest, Chkdsk on all drives, and used a number of benching solutions ranging from Cinebench and the Z-family, to actual real world tests like playing Battlefield 5, Skyrim modded out the wazoo, or KCD - All without any types of instability, hangs or failures. I also just yesterday went around and made sure all my drivers were updated, even made it a point to remove things that could be causing a problem so uninstalled a bunch of things I don't use.

There is no overclocking business going on here, also definitely not a thermal issue as my hardware stays well within operating temps. As for using the native windows "System Repair"...  Lol. I'm sorry that's about all I can reply to that. Definitely not going to help this issue. That utility's intent and purpose is to help the machine boot in the event of some issue with the boot sector or OS drivers. I am not having a booting issue.

Wurm does in fact have frame limiting turned on - I have it limited to 60 FPS in foreground and 30 in background.

Here's what I am specifically referencing to find Wurm as the problem cause;

These two lines among many others in my minidump file point toward Java

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME:  jp2launcher.ex

And this is the symbol that the minidump file claims caused the crash:

nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+454f5

Now, if I look further into the stack trace, that assembly string function was not on its own, but was in fact called by jp2launcher, which then induced a page fault.

Edited by whereami

That's normal, the stack traces will always point to something currently running, something that started the thing that lead to the crash. That doesn't mean it's Java's fault, just means Java touched something that's faulty.

System Repair could help, not sure what that does exactly behind the scenes, but if it runs the System File Checker (I think it does), it might find and fix up any corrupted system files. You can try running SFC yourself though.

I know this is not a problem with my system files... Because page faults are something that any program can cause, it's due to poor memory handling, memory leaks, or occasionally overflows. (all something we know Wurm has had plenty of in past)

Sure, maybe doesn't directly mean it's Wurm's fault, but when you've spent the last week trying to replicate the problem in any other way possible, and you've found that the problem fundamentally requires Wurm to be running to occur... Yeah I'm not sure what the problem is guys, doesn't look like it's Wurm.

Thanks for (barely) trying, anyways

Edited by whereami

Java applications can't even mess with the memory allocations manually, JVM does that for them (exception of custom native code, which Wurm uses none of, except for a couple libraries that have been used for the past decade).

Sure, we've had memory leaks - which with Java applications even the most critical of, don't have the right to crash the whole system/machine. Considering the system is healthy.

Of course page faults can happen due to corrupt system files, you're too quick to dismiss that.

It's definitely an issue on your end, we're just trying to help out with that, so the negative attitude doesn't help.