Sign in to follow this  
Cipacadrinho

Make Open action be a toggle not a single action

Hi!

I think it would be a  good quality of life improvement if the open action would be made a toggle.

What i mean is: 

I have Open action binded  on my spacebar. If i hover over something that can be opened and i press it it opens the window for that object and  what i would like it to do is if i press the Open keybind while it is opened is for it to close.

Yes i know i can just close with x or just double left click on that window border and minimise it or if i walk away far enough it will close on its own.

I just like to hover open take an item and close it with keybinds.

I have "space" for open and "a" for take so i would just hover "space" "a" "space" and be done nice and fast.

The reason i decided to ask for this is because my mouse started to double left click when i try to single left click so i have to press open on my inventory groups to get acces to the contents:)

Yes i can buy a new mouse but it would still be  a cool small feature to add to the game.

It would be a quality of life improvement for people that would preffer to do things this way.

Usefulness of an 'open/close' toggle aside, there is an advantage to having a dedicated 'open-only' key:

When searching a mess of unloaded (overlapping) crates, it is easy to ensure that you have opened every one of them by spamming the 'open' command until no further windows appear.

(that method is particularly useful for me when I am servicing the array of liquor stills at my distillery, with each cluster sharing a common center)

I would appreciate a toggle, although I would prefer a separate 'open' and 'close' command. 

Edited by Meldichoir
removed mistaken text

IMO it's easy enough to do this already with modifier keys. Almost every key on my keyboard is bound to something, most keys to 2 or 3 different but similar things. It allows for up to four functions from one key.

A few example binds I have set up:

R: Open - Shift+R: Close

T: Take - Ctrl+T: Drop

P: Pray - Shift+P: Push - Ctrl+P: Pull

It can be done in the console by just using the syntax shown in the wiki; "bind [ModifierKey]+[Key] [Action]"

Edited by whereami

16 minutes ago, whereami said:

IMO it's easy enough to do this already with modifier keys. Almost every key on my keyboard is bound to something, most keys to 2 or 3 different but similar things. It allows for up to four functions from one key.

A few example binds I have set up:

R: Open - Shift+R: Close

Yeah but in order to have the Close work you have to have your mouse hover the object and most of the time the actual opened window of that object is standing in the way of you being able to mouse hover the respective object but thank you for the good keybinding tips:)

Also just having it be a toggle it means you can just close any window you are mouse hovering over so is quick and easy without having to try to find the object the window  belongs too in order to press shift+[key] for the close action. So by having to do all those extra moves is easier to just click on the X of the window.

With toggle you can just quick tap take a looksie then tap the same key to have the window go away without even having to change hand position nevermind try key combinations.

But like i said is probably a personal preference some will agree some have different habbits.

+1 to open/close being a single keybind

• Like 1

Why.. don't you.. 

bind R open

bind T close

?

bind e take

bind q something?

Q/E/R/T-are close to "wasda" and you can rebind them at any time when you do whatever do you

Also buy a new mouse or just pop it open and replace the clicker, if you mess up, reason to buy a new one...

Some of the gaming mouses have replaceable clickers for this reason, no soldering required there.. cheap replacement is like 3-5$

So many options, don't think we need double keybind, wont be gamebreaking but your problem is a HW issue.

For farming I use q/e harvest, farm, r sow, and could use random other to activate 'seeds' from satchel/backpack to evade the double clicking on them.. rest is just keybind pressing and lots of mouse and player movement around.

For collection I use backpacks.. where all pain from managing that could be skipped by driving around with fsb in a wagon to skip the micromanagement of the backpacks twice.

But .. we all come up with our own way to make things harder, right?

IMO you're overthinking your problem, get a new mice :)

Edited by Finnn

26 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Why.. don't you.. 

bind R open

bind T close

?

bind e take

bind q something?

Q/E/R/T-are close to "wasda" and you can rebind them at any time when you do whatever do you

IMO you're overthinking your problem, get a new mice :)

Yeah i just ordered a G305 i am kinda hyped about it! I use this guy's site for deciding on what peripherals to get he is very good at it and ranks stuff properly while providing measurements for the stuff also:  http://www.rocketjumpninja.com/top-40/

I am not a wasd barbarian! :) i am an esdf scholar :) and i think a toggle on Open or how Gwyn put it "open/close being a single keybind" is something that would improve my gaming experience in Wurm.

Is perfectly fine if you don't care for it, i am sure lots of people would not, just i am sure lots will.

Is a suggestion thread if they decide to make it happen, excellent! if not... such is life... i am sure theres tons of ideeas and "stuff ppl need" on their plate anyway.

Edited by Cipacadrinho
  • Like 1

(edited my earlier post)

If a combined 'open/close' keybind ever becomes an option, I would hope it would be separate and not as replacement of the existing 'open' command, for the reasons in my earlier post.

And this got me wondering:  What is the reason for separate 'climb up' and 'climb down' commands?  Or 'load' and 'unload'?  Is there any existing command we have that does multiple actions?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Meldichoir said:

And this got me wondering:  What is the reason for separate 'climb up' and 'climb down' commands?  Or 'load' and 'unload'?  Is there any existing command we have that does multiple actions?

Ooohh spicy! Very good question tho in a game with not enough keys to bind an overall trim/consolidation where is oportune would not hurt.

I think Buddha mentioned something about being able to bind a key that would trigger the default action on stuff depending on context and what you have activated.