Sign in to follow this  
gabars

Mayors who recruit, why do you do it?

This may have been asked before, I couldn't find anything from the forum's search bar or google so here it is:

Why do you invite (and in some cases actively recruit) players and let them build on your deed? Is the company worth all the extra silver you spend on upkeep to have a big enough deed to house other players? Do you just have so much money in-game or IRL that you just don't care? Do you do it to increase the chances they'll keep playing and found their own settlement? 

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't. I'm just genuinely curious.

I play on a PvP server (Affliction mostly) so having more players in my deed make it easier to defend because guards are a lot worse than a decent player (even a newbie with 50+ archery can make a sizeable difference). That's just a purely egotistical reason, but Wurm is a social game and villagers often willingly contribute to the upkeep of the deed - both with building stuff and sometimes even adding a few silvers to the upkeep.

well its just stupid to have 9 deeds like me without any life :D   but yes we dont care much for money,  new and old mates always welcome and make game more fun.   out of 300 players i invite over last 6 years only like 10 still playing wurm, and out of that 4 in my villages or they make own next to my... so at end ...    recruting is time wasting.

Edited by Sila
  • Like 1

I cannot justify building all I do if not for the players I call friends.... and I enjoy meeting new friends. :)

Edited by Nomadikhan

Think about it this way.

If you go to a bar and meet a stranger to yap about the whole evening with, its reasonable to assume at some point you will buy them a beer. Here im the US a beer at a bar averages 5 dollars. If you pay someone else 2 beers a week thats over 40 dollars a month. This can exponentially increase with the amount of beers you decide to pay your friend.

In Wurm, a sizeable deed enough to host several plots for housing is 3 silver a month. That's about 4 US dollars. This mean I can host someone in Wurm for less than the cost of a single beer at a bar. I get to pay for a deed with enough space to hold several friends and pretty much all of us will ever need for less than the cost of a beer at your average bar. Sure this may vary from country to country, but the sentiment is the same.

Now lets look at what I get for my 4 dollars other than just an economic decision:

Im  general, 2 players wont level their characters the same way. So there is the possibility your friend will level a skill you dont have. Or that they will help you with your digging project. Or maybe they will be in local to accept that order you placed in the forums, while you are logged off and asleep. But better yet, you may get to meet someone you may enjoy spending your nights chatting with on discord.

To most of us Wurm is form of social interaction or stress relief of some kind. And what better way to do that than surrounded with friends?

Btw, welcome back Vern. You should come and join us in Indy!

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 6

I agree with Angelklaine, and WURM Deeds used to be very expensive versus now. My deed costs almost $4 a month which is basically a beer or me at the bar. The reason I recruit is its more fun to work with friends and make new friends, and some of us have skills we have leveled versus other skills the others have leveled. Also recruiting villagers in North Xanadu gives them a safe place to work and learn than having to watch their backs for Trolls and Hellhounds which they wont be able to handle till about 45-50 fight skill and decent armor. Also at times I think WURM should go back to more expensive deeds and promote village life ad give deeds more bonus's with more villagers. The Hermit mentality I think can hurt the game in some ways. One player recently told me their Alliance is fairly anti social and have new comers living in shacks outside their deeds, new comer's looking for villages but not getting sent to recruiting villages that would gladly take them in and teach them the game so that maybe they would stick around. WURM could grow and thrive but there are some issues killing it, and its time WURMIANS figure it out. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Think about it this way.

If you go to a bar and meet a stranger to yap about the whole evening with, its reasonable to assume at some point you will buy them a beer. Here im the US a beer at a bar averages 5 dollars. If you pay someone else 2 beers a week thats over 40 dollars a month. This can exponentially increase with the amount of beers you decide to pay your friend.

In Wurm, a sizeable deed enough to host several plots for housing is 3 silver a month. That's about 4 US dollars. This mean I can host someone in Wurm for less than the cost of a single beer at a bar. I get to pay for a deed with enough space to hold several friends and pretty much all of us will ever need for less than the cost of a beer at your average bar. Sure this may vary from country to country, but the sentiment is the same.

Now lets look at what I get for my 4 dollars other than just an economic decision:

Im  general, 2 players wont level their characters the same way. So there is the possibility your friend will level a skill you dont have. Or that they will help you with your digging project. Or maybe they will be in local to accept that order you placed in the forums, while you are logged off and asleep. But better yet, you may get to meet someone you may enjoy spending your nights chatting with on discord.

To most of us Wurm is form of social interaction or stress relief of some kind. And what better way to do that than surrounded with friends?

Btw, welcome back Vern. You should come and join us in Indy!

Yeah I get hosting friends, like I invited vern to live on-deed with me in 2 years-ish ago (yeah, I own Kijani and Garlock, Vern is my friend irl, I thought you knew :P), but inviting total strangers and hoping to become friends seems like a gamble. The more freedom you give them, the harder they can screw you over (intentionally or not).

I guess it's not for everyone. I wouldn't want to have to (or have the time to) deal with hard decisions like how long before I can consider someone isn't playing anymore and what to do with his/her things, I'm super grateful for everyone that does, however. 

I was in the process of rebuilding at Southwind Port, but I'd like to come visit on Indy if you'll extend your invitation to me. 

Glad to see you're still around.

Ya the locked and abandoned carts and chests can be a pain, wish they would give Deed Owners more ways to deal with these, after players quit. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ArthurHawkwing said:

I agree with Angelklaine, and WURM Deeds used to be very expensive versus now. My deed costs almost $4 a month which is basically a beer or me at the bar. The reason I recruit is its more fun to work with friends and make new friends, and some of us have skills we have leveled versus other skills the others have leveled. Also recruiting villagers in North Xanadu gives them a safe place to work and learn than having to watch their backs for Trolls and Hellhounds which they wont be able to handle till about 45-50 fight skill and decent armor. Also at times I think WURM should go back to more expensive deeds and promote village life ad give deeds more bonus's with more villagers. The Hermit mentality I think can hurt the game in some ways. One player recently told me their Alliance is fairly anti social and have new comers living in shacks outside their deeds, new comer's looking for villages but not getting sent to recruiting villages that would gladly take them in and teach them the game so that maybe they would stick around. WURM could grow and thrive but there are some issues killing it, and its time WURMIANS figure it out. 

That makes so much sense. I didn't know deeds used to be more expensive. I remember many years ago, when Xanadu was brand new, I made my first toon since Golden Valley. I spawned on Xanadu, in Newsprings. I joined a village, it had probably 8-10 villagers, but there was a hill nearby covered with tents (newcomers). The mayor (can't remember the name, 4 letters, starts with a J) told me upkeep was 18s per month and he couldn't house everyone. And it wasn't that big. It was about twice as big as my old deed (2-3s a month I think) so I assumed deed cost raised exponentially, turns out they just used to be much more expensive.

I agree the hermit mentality can hurt the game, but over-organizing villages can hurt it too. I didn't last long in Xanadu and moved to cele (Pixie Bay, long time ago) and there were so many rules and limitations that I ended up quitting. I wasn't allowed to cook, at all. There was 1 guy who would cook a few ql 90-ish meals when necessary and drop them in a barrel in the center of town. No one was to take them out, just eat directly from the barrel. They allowed me a 10x2 plot of land on which I built a 6x2 house (before multi-story was possible) and a 4x2 garden where I grew cotton to patch myself up. All this made leveling up too hard and I ended up quitting.

35 minutes ago, gabars said:

Yeah I get hosting friends, like I invited vern to live on-deed with me in 2 years-ish ago (yeah, I own Kijani and Garlock, Vern is my friend irl, I thought you knew :P), but inviting total strangers and hoping to become friends seems like a gamble. The more freedom you give them, the harder they can screw you over (intentionally or not).

I guess it's not for everyone. I wouldn't want to have to (or have the time to) deal with hard decisions like how long before I can consider someone isn't playing anymore and what to do with his/her things, I'm super grateful for everyone that does, however. 

I was in the process of rebuilding at Southwind Port, but I'd like to come visit on Indy if you'll extend your invitation to me. 

Glad to see you're still around.

Wasn't sure who owned the forum account. I knew it was either Vern or Kijani. Either way I remember both of you fondly. You are welcome to come visit. There is 4 of us living at Nostalgia at the moment and we have room for more, especially friends from old!

I'll see if I can catch you on during the weekend and try and convince you to move in with us:P

Because I always need someone to do the chores I can't?  :P

But, more seriously, the more folks who live up on the mountain, the less likely we'll get an unwelcome squatter who walls off a large part of the mountain to make a deed no-one ever enters or leaves.

21 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

I'll see if I can catch you on during the weekend and try and convince you to move in with us:P

Unlikely, unfortunately (that you'll catch during the weekend). My weekends are from wednesday to friday. Although this may change soon to 7 days on  and 7 days off (ish).

I'm sure we'd enjoy the company and the change of scenery. Could you PM me the location so I can come have a look with vern when he comes on?

8 hours ago, ArthurHawkwing said:

Ya the locked and abandoned carts and chests can be a pain, wish they would give Deed Owners more ways to deal with these, after players quit. 

This is legitimately why I stopped recruiting, because that's all I ever got out of it. Would have been nice helping some new players out, have some additional hands in return, or whatever. So far every single one just up and left the game entirely after a few weeks without any notice or them having asked for anything, I don't know what I could have done, it looks like I always get the finicky type who just dips their toes in the water but don't have the "grit" for this game. I have reason why to do it, my question would be more HOW do you do it to keep people around...

For me it's about that not all people are the same. Some people are more and some less social, boundaries are different for everyone. Like in real life i wouldn't like to be roommate with anyone except the girlfriend that i am in long relationship with the same way I don't want to have villagers in Wurm as i like my privacy, nor neighbors that are too close like their deed is next to my perimeter. People usualy go on this with stupid argument why do you play mmo if you are not social, and why don't you play Unlimited. The answer is simple, i want to be part of larger ecosystem but with my privacy kept inside it, and with ability to be social as much as it suits me at the moment. And that's it, people have different needs and different playstyles and there is enough space in these depopulated vastelands for both kind, there is nothing bad or good with it, there are benefits and loses with both choices and everyone weights what is best for him

• Like 8

14 hours ago, kochinac said:

For me it's about that not all people are the same. Some people are more and some less social, boundaries are different for everyone. Like in real life i wouldn't like to be roommate with anyone except the girlfriend that i am in long relationship with the same way I don't want to have villagers in Wurm as i like my privacy, nor neighbors that are too close like their deed is next to my perimeter. People usualy go on this with stupid argument why do you play mmo if you are not social, and why don't you play Unlimited. The answer is simple, i want to be part of larger ecosystem but with my privacy kept inside it, and with ability to be social as much as it suits me at the moment. And that's it, people have different needs and different playstyles and there is enough space in these depopulated vastelands for both kind, there is nothing bad or good with it, there are benefits and loses with both choices and everyone weights what is best for him

This, and a healthy dose of GM paranoia for me ;)

I could tell you why I don't but since you didn't ask that I won't. I guess it's pretty basic why others do, they like human companionship, more often than not.

=Ayes=

On 3/3/2019 at 4:01 PM, Ayes said:

I could tell you why I don't but since you didn't ask that I won't. I guess it's pretty basic why others do, they like human companionship, more often than not.

=Ayes=

This sounds like the start of a rap song... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

This sounds like the start of a rap song... 

Take heed and get off my deed, the newest hot track by Vanilla Ayes

• Like 5

Or you play on an unlimited server with no upkeep = you can take on a bunch of players with zero financial cost for you really (now the left behind and locked containers is a cost in its own way, but at least carts can be moved and eventually cleaned up, containers I try to push to an off deed section of a mine - out of sight, out of mind) 

For me, it's just a simple case of sharing. My deeded area has always been on the larger side, and I would be paying the upkeep for it regardless of citizen numbers. So, I figured why not invite some other folks to use the deed. Since the more robust permissions system was introduced, access is easier to manage, so I just keep anything I'd miss locked up in my house. That said, at the end of the day, there's very little that can't be fixed or replaced.

• Like 1

I recruited in the past to help new players settle in the game, but all i found from that was a headache.. nowadays only for chaos.

• Like 1

I used to actively recruit, but I have gotten lazy.

My reason for recruiting is hoping that the new player would fall in love with the game and stay on.

My main goal in recruiting was keeping players in the game and loving it.

When a villager went off to found a new deed it is a happy day. and if they join our Alliance then I count it a success!

I'm always sad when 6 months later they stop logging in. Our Elders in our Alliance are made up of  mostly villagers who went on to found their own deeds and are still playing!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ohana said:

I used to actively recruit, but I have gotten lazy.

Get to work. We need more blood!

Vynora needs some more sacrifices.

• Like 1