Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

Increased Macro Questions?

On 2/28/2019 at 7:27 PM, wipeout said:

Tldr up detection without annoying players to counter bots before you have an uphill battle to fight that you will loose

Oh joy invasive "anti macro" checks on the rise these won't stop macros as much as it will increase gm time investment and raise player annoyance at having to relog/freaking out

Macroers induce Gaussian distribution properties in every action their bot performs to avoid all what you said. Gaussian distribution has this marvelous property you see: every naturally occurring phenomenon (eg a real person imping) that involves influence from many external factors tends to follow a Gaussian distribution pattern on the long run. 

The human intervention is always necessary and is the right way to counter cheating. The goal of the anti-cheating campaign was never to catch everyone. The goal is to prevent cheating from becoming a mainstream phenomenon. There will always be people with skills and knowledge that far surpasses those of the developers, but those are usually hobbists.

It's the mainstream, vanilla, casual, lowly knowledgable highly greedy average wurmer that must not be able to macro and flood the market with his unethicly attained items. And to that there's a good job being done by the team.

Edited by Lordbeerus
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Lordbeerus said:

Macroers induce Gaussian distribution properties in every action their bot performs to avoid all what you said. Gaussian distribution has this marvelous property you see: every naturally occurring phenomenon (eg a real person imping) that involves influence from many external factors tends to follow a Gaussian distribution pattern on the long run. 

The human intervention is always necessary and is the right way to counter cheating. The goal of the anti-cheating campaign was never to catch everyone. The goal is to prevent cheating from becoming a mainstream phenomenon. There will always be people with skills and knowledge that far surpasses those of the developers, but those are usually hobbists.

It's the mainstream, vanilla, casual, lowly knowledgable highly greedy average wurmer that must not be able to macro and flood the market with his unethicly attained items. And to that there's a good job being done by the team.

yes good job to them but also on the other hand with the abundance of younger people at uni/collage who can code or people who make bots for a living if it reaches a point where a person really wants to macro something(grind slow skills to insanely high level) and have the money for it if they know that simple macro's dont really work anymore they would be tempted to purchase the service of those guys to make a bot for them

right now there is no reason for it thats what im trying to say sure its a good thing when people get caught and banned but doing a knee jerk reaction of increasing the amount of events that interrupt legit players is not the way to go around doing it

as for your last part 80-120 bucks can get you a simple macro made by 1 of those guys i mentioned before and it doesnt take a genius to know to sit on the goods you create and sell months later in any game where you can macro unless you are impatient and macro and sell at the same time and somehow keep having high stock at all times >.> anyway common knowledge if you play other mmo's is that most who bot are willing to invest a bit of money to get a decent macro made if none exist to bot in a game where the most simplest of macro's or simple ones are easily caught and the person is bombarded with ingame events to try and deter macro's(runescape being a good example why ingame events are not the good way to go)

if you dont want cheating in a game make the game engaging enough where 99% of the player base wont exploit and bot to get accounts up there or make money but wurm ticks all the boxes for a game ripe for an army of bots to come around and destroy it and the only reason we dont get one? its to unknown

so get better ingame detection of where clicks are done and wait periods or if possible(depending sometimes it is sometimes it isnt) detection of program interaction vs physical hardware sending keyclicks
you say that all what i said is avoided because of that but to me it seams you did not read it or get it yes i know that we all bots and humans alike follow patterns that if you look at it long enough will see a repeat after all we only got as many pixels to click on as we can
but there is still a big difference between a bot's way of doing things vs a human  but like i said if they really want to tackle this it will be a loosing battle in the long run

Anyway i just hope they wont go the way of old runescape and add in random events or more of these questions that pop up at random times while doing things as nothing says "guess il play something else" as getting forced to relog if you dont know the answer to something and you cant figure it out in time or guess wrong(imagine every time you went to the wurm forums they asked you to solve a complicated physics problem before reading every post)
im happy they caught macro's i really am i just dont want them to keep jumping to quick not properly thought out actions like they have been doing lately(increasing frequency of random question/WU ban wave/deletion of tc art and not making a proper post stating the proper reason resulting in a drama vest/random unplanned event at new years that pissed off those who could not make it and a few others) things that affect the game or the players need to be figured out properly and not half assed like rolf used to do with random drunken friday midday patches(fat system determining dodge chance comes to mind)|

it just worries me thats all really im seeing a pattern of the current staff doing stuff rolf did in the past until we all got worried and feared what might happen every friday i just dont want to go back to that 

/end late night rant

• Like 1

I dont think its become a problem to be honest. I was just curious as to if there was an increase and to point out how ambiguous the questions were. We were very concerned about this when one of our villagers answered wrong because he really thought stool was the right answer. 

Imagine this: here you are doing an action with a high timer, such as leveling, or maybe your character has 7 actions and you are using a lq pick to mine. You alt tab every couple minutes while you watch Netflix. On your next alt tab, you see the question box. You know its been sitting there for a minute or two and you get flustered and see the stork and stool question. You answer stool.

We now know you wont get banned for it. But that player may not at that time, and will start to wonder scared that everything they did may be lost. This causes undue stress.

I dont mind this system. I think its good, as it is at least one layer of safety to prevent widespread macroing. But it needs to be fixed so this doesn't happen and undermines the system we have in place.

• Like 2

Pretty much every milk stool I’ve seen had three legs. (Barns have inherently uneven floors, I guess.)

On 2/28/2019 at 6:48 AM, Madnath said:

Pretty funny, I don't think I've ever seen a three legged stool here in the UK

S.

odd.   i often log in 3-7 alts and alt tab a ton to pray and grind mats like mortar or bricks. for hours, or even mining or landscaping. and i have  even bee online 23 hours straight last weekend. and i dont recall ever getting these questions. 8 yrs playing and really cant recall once.    i dont run any programs, except multiplicity which just allows me to drag my mouse over to the 2nd computer , just allows one mouse and keyboard for 2 pcs, nothing automated     i hope there's not going to be invasive macro guess work happening.  i lost  runescape account as they thought i was macroing. but i was just using my tablet and guessing finger tapping seemed like macros to the detection software back then, 3 yrs ago. of course now they are coming our with mobile version lol.

• Like 1

I wish I could run Wurm on my tablet... That would be epic... I'd make mortar at work while at the office!

@Keenanmake a Wurm mobile launcher! I'd throw money at you for it! Lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

I wish I could run Wurm on my tablet... That would be epic... I'd make mortar at work while at the office!

like runescape xD

and randoms

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Yeah nothing fancy, just that i can log in and chip bricks all day at work. Could just literally be just crafting window tied to bsb on my deed and tools in my invetory :P

38 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

Kriswald used to smith plate in his big rig

I think someone else was often driving while he was doing that - grin

On 3/6/2019 at 6:38 PM, Angelklaine said:

If you’re somewhere safe, just making mortar, VNC from a tablet will do good enough. Just don’t try fighting (or even walking... ?

S.

1 minute ago, Singultus said:

If you’re somewhere safe, just making mortar, VNC from a tablet will do good enough. Just don’t try fighting (or even walking... ?

S.

I tried doing that before and the connection was so bad and the stream so poor and the touch controls so retarded that I simply quit. It would take the fun out of anything I'd do. 

So I never done that again with any game.

3 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

I tried doing that before and the connection was so bad and the stream so poor and the touch controls so retarded that I simply quit. It would take the fun out of anything I'd do. 

So I never done that again with any game.

Sklotopolis is currently working on a very big android smartphone solution for Wurm. But we plan at least 2 years development time.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 2

On 3/2/2019 at 5:51 PM, Nappy said:

The interesting thing about this response is that back when WU came out I heard that this was accidentally released and then quietly removed in the next update. No idea if it's true myself, never saw the code. 3 different people at different times talked about it so it's possible that code control wasn't as tight back then and perhaps the word got out?

It was added by mistake in version 1.1.1.2 and removed in 1.1.2.3

I think this system is getting non english speakers banned probably, can the devs implement a better system. Thanks.

@Niki I don't think it is. As Retro explained above you don't get banned for answering it wrong. Our villager wasn't banned. Likely because a GM looked into it and realized they were a legitimate player and not a macroer. The system does work, and although it could benefit from some updates to the questions, I really doubt anyone is being banned over it. I don't think fear-mongering is warranted here 

All I wanted was some clarification, and I got it. I am truly satisfied with the results so thanks @Retrogradefor helping us understand! 

This thread can be locked now.