Sign in to follow this  
Ayluin

Lag issues on pollNextZones

Not sure what's causing it, had a fairly large lag spike on the server today 4k map, 40k creatures, 5gb ram, only using like 2gb max over any period of time. I've installed Friya's server debug mod thinking I would understand the output, but I really don't. :) Any help would be appreciated.

https://pastebin.com/7RdfV9ge

Most likely caused by damged being calculated for decay on large quanties of items let on the ground, rocks, logs, and other abandoned skilling materials.

5 hours ago, bigsteve said:

Most likely caused by damged being calculated for decay on large quanties of items let on the ground, rocks, logs, and other abandoned skilling materials.

Won't it tell me where it's located? I've seen in the past logs that have zones.Zone XPOS, YPOS polled X tiles took X.XXX ms, etc. My logs contain no such data it's just this very generic pollnextzones(0.5) and it occurs every 5 mins for around 1 second, but then sporadically I'll have 20-30 second lags on my server

Yesterday 4:21 pm EST, ~15 seconds
Yesterday 6:03 pm EST, ~30 seconds
Today 7:05 am EST, ~15 seconds
Today 12:18 pm EST ~20 seconds

The lag spike logs are like those in the pastebin, the every five minutes don't trigger the Friya debug server mod, but are just pollnextzone(0.5) and then lag detected. Ending up with lag counts in the thousands. I don't know if this is pretty normal for mini-lags to occur. We are on pingperfect/high cpu/SSD/5gb, but it's fairly low in resource usage.

I am not sure if any one has decoded the actual map positions from the zone information that is in the log files.

May be one of the Middle can look into the polling code to see how it handled.

Edited by bigsteve

41 minutes ago, bigsteve said:

I am not sure if any one has decoded the actual map positions from the zone information that is in the log files.

May be one of the Middle can look into the polling code to see how it handled.

Ah, what I was referring to can be found here, but my logs just stop at the : INFO com.wurmonline.server.Server: Lag detected at Zones.pollnextzones (0.5) so I wasn't sure if it is the same issue since it does not have a zone position or how many tiles it was attempting to poll.

[02:24:43 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.server.Server: Lag detected at Zones.pollnextzones (0.5): 12.184 seconds

[02:24:43 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.server.Server: Elapsed time (12200ms) for this loop was more than 1 second so adding it to the lag count, which is now: 984
[02:24:58 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.server.zones.Zone: Zone at 2304, 1344 polled 54 tiles. That took 6510.884 millis.

Edited by Ayluin

Ended up being fog spiders. Disabled them and no more lag. Thanks for the assist.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

Bump fog spiders are evil lag machines

Yeah the disablefogspiders joebadoe made didn't work after 1.9 I updated the code and put it on the server last night and am gonna let it run through a full day to see if any fog spiders get spawned, if not I'll push it out.

Edited by Ayluin

On 4/20/2019 at 5:54 AM, Ayluin said:

Yeah the disablefogspiders joebadoe made didn't work after 1.9 I updated the code and put it on the server last night and am gonna let it run through a full day to see if any fog spiders get spawned, if not I'll push it out.

Ayluin could you please share updated version of fogspiders mod

How would I disable fog spiders?  We've been getting terrible lag, and I'm pretty sure they are the culprit.

Or do I need to wait for a mod to come out?

On 6/23/2019 at 5:50 PM, Batta said:

Or do I need to wait for a mod to come out?

I updated the mod to disable fog spiders some time ago. 

Edited by Ayluin
  • Like 2

Why exactly are fog spiders responsible for lag?

Strangely I rarely see them, even during or after fog. Not a complaint, they are useless. 

Example from Sklotopolis: 470 fog spiders spawned 70 of them killed instantly and that just in 1-3 server ticks. That is not a friendly thing to do

Spawning has IO operations killing has IO operations, IO operations everywhere

• Like 1

What Sklo said. It's pretty much a lag-fest anytime they are killed off.

I added this mod and now the server dont start...its stucking without an error

After i removed the mod, ...same problem

What can i do now?

On 2/21/2021 at 8:41 AM, Eject said:

I added this mod and now the server dont start...its stucking without an error

After i removed the mod, ...same problem

What can i do now?

Maybe the error is not related to the mod. Try to start a backup and check if the server launches.