Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 078

LAkrcAX.png

Foggy morning - Kasumi

Hi Everyone!
It's been a rough few weeks with ups and downs, and we know everyone is feeling a little drained by it, but rest assured, we are working through these issues and coming up with plans to resolve each and every one. Some of these plans may take a little longer to get into effect than others, but there is a path! 

I myself have been bobbing along working on Archaeology on Independence, I'm keen for 90, I can taste it! (I'm leaving so many fragments behind I think I need a maid though).

Now it's time to touch on what we've been up to, we've got some good news ahead to lets get to it

But first...

Patch Notes

Spoiler

Patch Notes: 14/FEB/19 Visible Fruit and Head Bobbing

• Bugfix: Champions will now properly get 80 actual channelling instead of effective.
  • Bugfix: Deny all permission on branded horses will now override deed permissions.
  • Bugfix: Fix for piles of items that cannot be interacted with.

Client Changes:

• New: Added optional head bob during animations.
    • This can be disabled in the Graphics tab of the Settings, under ‘Enable Head Bob’.
  • New: Revamped the animations with smoother blending.
  • New: Display fruit on harvestable trees and bushes.
  • Bugfix: Fixed glitchy door, gate and mine door animations.
  • Bugfix: Fixed player animations snaps and glitches.
  • Bugfix: Fixed incorrect torch lamp flame size.

Art Changes:

• Someone’s gone and painted hearts on the sides of the sheep! Don’t kill them though, that would break their hearts.
  • Bugfix: Animations of actions starting on floors will no longer use the building animation.

Client update: 19/FEB/19 Head bobbing and animation tweaks

• New: Head bobbing on movement animations was disabled
  • Bugfix: Animations should no longer glitch to idle in certain cases
  • Bugfix: Client will no longer stop responding when attempting to use the spyglass

Patch Notes: 21/FEB/19 Moving Independence Home

• Extended downtime due to moving the Independence server from it’s interim hardware back to its original hardware. We expect this downtime to last approximately 1-2 hours.
  • A number of back end changes have been made to reduce lag spikes that occur every few hours. We will continue to monitor lag on every server and address ongoing spikes and general issues.

Bug Fixes:

• Bugfix: Examine info for small and large nails has been changed to metal instead of iron since nails can be other metals now.
  • Bugfix: Fixed a bug that allowed multiple lines and reels to be placed into a fishing pole.
  • Bugfix: Fixed deity/kingdom bonuses from epic scenarios leaking into freedom.
  • Bugfix: Bashing Walls/Fences/Fence Plans/Mine Doors now requires you to stand still during the action, moving will now cancel the action.
  • Bugfix: Lit items should no longer be snuffed after a server restart.
  • Bugfix: Chicken coop capacity will now increase on the exact integer of quality - QL / 10 as already stated in the wiki.

WU Beta! 
It's been a long time coming, but with a lot of changes with the new tutorial system, fishing and everything else in the past six months WU will be getting a huge update in the coming weeks. We are working on an internal build and will have a beta build up as soon as we can for all the modders and hosts to ensure everything will run smoothly.

Laggy hidden bugs!

With our ongoing work on fixing lag with server side polling tweaks, we have encountered a few instances where improving the lag has caused other bugs to come out of the woodworks. This is what resulted in the crash on Xanadu earlier this week. 

Improving the servers speed in saving to the database by avoiding unnecessary polling and querying in batches has unearthed some issues with server configuration. Todays restart is focused on addressing that configuration error before it causes more crashes. 

As for the independence issues, we believe this to be due to the disk replacement or new hardware and are currently investigating. We are also currently in the process of looking for a more permanent solution to the hosting issues we have been facing in the recent weeks. We do understand the lag can be quite frustrating so want a resolution quickly. Once we have a solid plan on the next steps we will share them, along with a detailed postmortem of the server issues we have been facing. 

Alongside the 5 hours sleep bonus, we'll also be giving out a 3 day premium code for all players to redeem! This code will be available after tomorrows restart (not todays) along with the 5 hours sleep bonus. 

Far far away

With vast improvements in client performance, we continue to look at ways to improve the look and feel of the game, and one area inparticular is the long distance terrain being rather bare. As you can see below, Samool has gotten his ever talented mind on the task of improving the look of distant terrain and I have to say, it looks amazing.

89FAAIU.jpg

That's it from us this week, we hope you enjoy the sleep bonus and premium time as our way of saying thanks for putting up with the issues, hopefully soon we'll have a solution guaranteed to end it to share with you all. 

Until then though, Keep on Wurming! 
Retrograde & the Wurm team

• Like 38

elo how its going?

@Samoolwell done i accept that 

Edited by Votip

Im absolutely goose bumped from the long distance terrain update! ?

And a big hug and thumbs up on all the lag issue fixing!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MacOofer said:

And a big hug and thumbs up on all the lag issue fixing!

hear hear !

and love that long distance views will be so much better - well done, Samool :)

That view distance ! Can’t wait to look out from The Black Keep with it. 

• Like 1

Wow, just wow, Samool. They said you were a wizard! Now Im saying it too. And thanks to the devs working on the server issues and lag. This work is so important and fundamental to the game and it is much appreciated the hard work you guys are doing. It seems this work has unearthed the spider webs under the bed so to speak, and it will be great when everything is all cleaned out.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

I myself have been bobbing along working on Archaeology on Independence, I'm keen for 90, I can taste it! (I'm leaving so many fragments behind I think I need a maid though).

Discard option on fragment, please?

• Like 4

Are you aware that Chaos is badly lagging too? massive desync issues.

• Like 1

Loooove that long distance rendering! Keep up the great work!

Edited by Fearil

1 hour ago, McGarnicle said:

Wow, just wow, Samool. They said you were a wizard! Now Im saying it too. And thanks to the devs working on the server issues and lag. This work is so important and fundamental to the game and it is much appreciated the hard work you guys are doing. It seems this work has unearthed the spider webs under the bed so to speak, and it will be great when everything is all cleaned out.

I'm equipping the hamsters with flamethrowers as we speak. Wait... maybe this is a bad idea. Do you smell smoke?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

Are you aware that Chaos is badly lagging too? massive desync issues.

We are aware. I caught a wild Budda and a wild Samool discussing these issues last night. It's being looked into, but it's not specifically due to server lag. I'm sure we'll have more information and fixes as the investigation continues.

• Like 3

Wow, the distant terrain rendering is truly a game changer.

Edited by Budzilla

1 hour ago, Keenan said:

I'm equipping the hamsters with flamethrowers as we speak. Wait... maybe this is a bad idea. Do you smell smoke?

don't foget to give them rebreathers for when they trigger the halon fire suppression in the DC :P

• Like 1

That distant terrain render......... 

1o0Gmgn.png

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 13

With vast improvements in client performance, we continue to look at ways to improve the look and feel of the game, and one area inparticular is the long distance terrain being rather bare. As you can see below, Samool has gotten his ever talented mind on the task of improving the look of distant terrain and I have to say, it looks amazing.

89FAAIU.jpg

@Samool- you MONSTER! gg ??

There's always some good news coming along with these announcements - this rendering distance stuff Samool has been working on is just breathtaking.
However, I would like to hear some news about the ongoing testing of the HoTA rework - though I do suspect it's not exactly been the top priority with the server issues going on lately. Understandable, of course, but nevertheless frustrating.

I look forward to the next one, as always.

Edited by John

I'm off for some extra workshifts. Want a new display card urgently I fear :D

Thanks for all the work as always!

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Alongside the 5 hours sleep bonus, we'll also be giving out a 3 day premium code for all players to redeem!

My apologies for asking, but when you say 'all players' is that per account? or will all avatars have a code?

Edited by Tomatoes
grammar

6 hours ago, Alyeska said:

Discard option on fragment, please?

After Retro's comment I was wondering if there was a *Discard* option on those fragments. I agree that this would be very helpful as I usually come across piles of them as I am wandering around.

Distant terrain has long been a barren view so I look forward to these improvements as pictured.

=Ayes=