Sign in to follow this  
Titanius

Are there consequences for starvation?

I have been playing for about a week, and since day 2 my character has not eaten a single food item and is still as able as when eating.  All that happens is the food bar drops to minimal, with just a tiny bit showing, and it's orange.  At that stage, if I try to do any work, I get a message that I'm too hungry to work.

But to fix that, all I have to do is start dragging my loaded cart around, preferably up a hill or across sand or something that requires exertion.  Then, usually within less than 1 minute of dragging, my food bar fills up again, and I get a message that I feel well rested and strong again.  Then I continue doing work like nothing happened.

I read somewhere about losing body fat every time the bar replenishes.  But I've done his about 10 times across 6 or 7 RL days and have yet to see any consequence.  So what's up with that?  No need to eat?

Edited by Titanius

There is a slight skill bonus to having very high nutrition. Also, at lower nutrition your stamina drains faster and replenishes more slowly.

I have had a couple of occasions where I have stood still, logged in for several hours at very low nutrition and come back to 0 nutrition, 0 food and 0 water, so I needed to eat & drink before I could do anything.

Edited by zethreal

Hiya, welcome to Wurm! :) 

Eventually you will use up all your fat layers and fasting will not be possible. At this stage you will find you really need to eat something. :)

Being out of food means regaining stamina is slower.  You won't die of starvation, but you may die as a consequence if you cannot run away from an aggressive creature, if you fall down a hill due to lack of stamina, or if you drown in water for the same reason.

It might be a good time to think about food options.

Practising your cooking skills, nominating one person in your party to be a chef, joining a village where free food is provided, or buying food such as pizza off another player in Trade Chat are a few ideas.

Good nutrition means things will go better for you, actions will often take less time and be successful more often.

Again, really glad you've joined us, and I hope you enjoy exploring the myriad of different foods in Wurm! :) 

• Like 5

Are you sure you havent reached the fatigue limit?

You have 12 hours of 'work' limit, that recovers by 1 hour every 3 real-life hours.

Your message 'you feel rested now' is for fatigue limit; as for the part where you're too exhausted and can't work.. no clue what the message was for that.. but still sounds like you hit rock bottom on that 12 hours.

Dragging the cart does nothing, so STOP doing that.. it's not helping :)

You could forage for food and eat it raw(at first..), later DEFINITELY learn to cook.

Nutrition HELPS.. further more there's a thing that some call ccfp, for me it's rainbow bars.., smaller colored bars below your stamina.. filling them up does wonders when you work later.. 
Even if you don't get to cooking decent food... try cooking something, anything... edible.. will be better than struggling with terrible nutrition, your stamina recovery, action timers and so on are just awful than...

For a new player - pro tip.. carry a pottery jar(replace with waterskin when possible) with water with you.. and right click on grass tiles and forage for raw edible things to eat(until you get settles and able to cook..)

keeping thirst and hunger bars filled ~70% will give you better experience.. at least for the thirst it's a must, it directly affects your stamina recovery time.

• Like 2

Great!   Thanks for the tips, everyone.

For water I carry my pottery bowl which holds either 6 or 9 liters (can't remember right now), which  lasts  me a few hours real  time.

For food,  well,  I guess at some  point  I'll have to do something.  Maybe farming.  But for now, I'll try running this fasting thing as far as it will go.  I'm kinda curious to see how many times I can keep replenishing the bar (starts at green then slowly turns orange as it depletes, then back  to green when  it fills up again).  But yeah, probably get some land and farm when my fat runs out, I guess.

Well, thanks folks.

Proper nutrition through "eating" in Wurm is critical. When your Stamina bar gets very low all your actions become slow as well. This then effects and slows down your creation timers even when standing immobile. It also slows down your actions even when standing still as for example when mining. When your food level gets below 20% you will notice all these actions become slower and then your timer to return to full stamina becomes slower too. In effect then you are slowing down your whole game experience. As you experience the game further you will notice that by not eating properly you are reducing all your abilities and skill gain potential. It is easy to think that since you can hit the "fast" mechanic and refill your food level there is really no need to eat anything but this is just not understanding the effects of doing so.

With this in mind, Farming is one of the best skills to develop when starting the game since you then will have the potential ingredients to create some proper foods. Plus Farming will build your Body Strength, Stamina, Mind Logic and some Spirit Characteristic Skills. Eating "raw" food items is close to useless as you will note by watching your food bar and nutrition barely raise at all, so the next step is to do some Hot Food Cooking with the vegetables that you produce. The easiest to start is to just drop 1 vegetable into your bowl and cook it in an Oven (Forge won't work for this recipe) or Campfire and it will create a Breakfast. Even then it will be so poor QL that it will barely move your food and nutrition up so you just have to keep at it and create many Breakfasts as your HFC skill slowly rises.

I know I went into some longer comment about this Nutrition and eating situation but it is something often that players in the game for some time take for granted. Still, you can believe that they are properly attending to eating so that they can play the game in even a basically progressive and enjoyable manner. Some may even not have bothered to raise HFC much themselves and just depend upon a friendly Village or Alliance cook for their foods but this dosen't mean that they are just ignoring this aspect as you are doing. Really, this is a basic foundation that effects all your gameplay but I suppose that it is just not so apparent to the new player at first. Get Fat and stay Fat for in Wurm this will make you a happy and jolly Wurmanite.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Once you have fasted enough times and all your fat layers are gone, your stamina will not regenerate any longer. At this point you will not be able to perform any actions and you will walk very slowly. The only way to fix that situaltion is to eat food. If, at that point, you have no food available you will find the game pretty much unplayable. I highly recommend that if you plan on testing the limits of fasting, you should have food on hand ready to be eaten once you get to that point.

There is another way around it if you follow a deity and have 10 faith. In that case you can sacrifice a rare item to get 99 nutrition and a full food and water bar. Not sure if doing this will give your fat layers back though.

• Like 1

There is yet another way around it as well, one of the meditation paths lets you replenish your food and water once a day.

forage n botanise eat everything u find and the meat u find uncooked eat to  .no one becomes a cook at start theres to much else to do .I had no bottom bars for ages ,eg mths ,eventually u cook n learn .reality is forage n eat