Sign in to follow this  
ctaylor77

Improve-failure odds

Im improving a gold altar , trying to get to 100ql. I have 99.80 Jsing. Im getting 9 failures and 1 success. All my tools are high QL, my lumps are 100ql. I have a brass rune of mag on the altar to help, but still fails way to often. I can deal with the 98.30545 to 98.306 ticks. Is this intended? Im getting more fails than improvement, at this rate Ill burn through my remaining 500 100ql lumps out of 1k it has only gone from 97-98ish ql. I think the numbers need some looking into , this is pretty ridiculous guys. the high ql gold isn't cheap.

27 minutes ago, ctaylor77 said:

Im improving a gold altar , trying to get to 100ql. I have 99.80 Jsing. Im getting 9 failures and 1 success. All my tools are high QL, my lumps are 100ql. I have a brass rune of mag on the altar to help, but still fails way to often. I can deal with the 98.30545 to 98.306 ticks. Is this intended? Im getting more fails than improvement, at this rate Ill burn through my remaining 500 100ql lumps out of 1k it has only gone from 97-98ish ql. I think the numbers need some looking into , this is pretty ridiculous guys. the high ql gold isn't cheap.

Imping something to 100 is very hard, I think it's intended to be.

Honestly, it is one of those ridiculous difficulty curves in Wurm that everyone says is great, and proper, and merited, until you actually try to accomplish it.  Wurm players long for just about 100 anything, but the game's code resists it profoundly,  just because that's the way it is.  It's sad, especially when you consider the usefulness of 100 anything over say, 99, 98, 97...  It is just so insignificant as to be worth nothing more than show and tell.  One must ask ,why give people a stat, a skill, a quality that 99.99999999 will never be able to achieve because only .00000001 percent of players consider it worth giving up hundreds of hours of their life to accomplish it?

• Like 1

Call me perverse, but I think Wurm has already got this ever so right. The noble futility of chasing unattainable perfection, the law of diminishing returns, the choice between 'good enough' and 'could be better' — however you want to frame it, this is balanced in a way that elegantly models real-life creative processes, at least in my humble opinion and experience.

• Like 4

I wouldn't call you that Gwyn but I give up on improvements when the failures outweigh the practical applications of the results. Skill levels I treat the same way and would never spend time attempting to hit 100.00 in any of them. 95.00 skill and tools are excellent for most tasks if not all. Even then for those who feel the siren's lure to go above 99.00 the rewards are pretty much all tied to an individuals motivations and perceptions rather than gameplay benefits.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

I'd remove the failures, and just make imp sizes smaller. Diminishing returns can be implemented via time taken, and if someone wants to spend a year imping the same thing, I'm good with it. :)

Improving an item has a difficulty equal to the item's current QL. So, if your skill and tool average out to the QL of the item, you have roughly a 50% chance of success. This makes improving extremely high-QL items very tough, since your tools can only be so high quality.

Also, you can only improve something to a soft cap of (0.77*skill + 23) QL. Attempting to improve an item above that cap doubles all skill gains, but reduces QL gains to something extremely minimal, small enough that it doesn't keep up with damage from failures.

Also, even before you hit that cap, the closer you are to the cap the slower the QL gain is.

At 99.80 skill, you can improve an item to 99.846 QL. So yeah, you're going to see incredibly slow gains as you approach that, and you're going to have a lot of failures unless your tools are 99+ QL. I believe imbue might raise the cap though, so that could help if you put some potions on your tools.

Even if you had "100" skill (really 99.999996 or something), you would be very unlikely to get the QL close enough to 100QL for the game to round it to 100.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 1

I saw you talking about this in Global chat and I was wondering when the thread would be. Found it!

Either way if you spend the time getting skills to a certain level, you should be able to imp to 100ql. Failure damage should be less then your improve so you can at least imp it up. Like I said , I don't mind spending time doing it, but it seems something needs to be changed with the numbers at a certain level.

@ctaylor77

Did you gave up on this or continued ?

EDIT:

Do you get achievement for 100QL improve ? i know you get one for 99ql

Edited by Martynas5

Ql 99 improve were part of old personal goal and in my opinion it doesn't make sense to improve anything to ql100. I improve only for that achievement and a few times more to help others to get their.

From experience with BS it really is a lot easier when you 99.9999 compare to 99.1 skill. Get your JS up and it will be easier.

Improve to ql100 for the achievement and if there isn't one implemented I am sure they will add one,  just because.

• Like 1

It's possible at least to the point you get 100QL to show. Going to imp max i can and hope for true 100

EDIT >> almost every other imp icon is wrong, have to look at text or just guess... rly annoying

100QL.jpg

Edited by Martynas5

I suffered at something like this while doing a grind to 99.999 PAS last year.  Somewhere past QL99.995, you no longer improve enough to keep up with the loss of QL from repairing, the QL gains come to a standstill, and sweetspot grinding breaks down.  You might be able to do better if your tools are also QL99 (I think mine were at ~98), but I don't think you'll ever hit a true QL100.

This was the final screenshot I took before mending back down to QL80 and swapping to the old method of just imping stuff from QL80-90.

"RIP sadjacket.png"

uRk1UrI.png

• Like 1