Sign in to follow this  
Baramor

Animal Taming

So my idea is that at 50 animal training you get the option to bond with an animal (Bear and wolves only) which will keep that animal tamed to you until it is killed or let go.

The animal could be named and would have to be fed and watered like any pet. A player would not be able to tame any other creatures while an animal is bonded. At every 10 levels of animal taming after 50 more perks could be unlocked (stronger attack, better armor)

• Like 1

+1 for bear saddles and custom traits that could be trained carry weight/speed/hp/def/...

And that's how wow mounts invaded wurm online...

+1 to overhaul the Animal Taming system. As it is now most people just tame and collect them in pens. I've used the taming for an extra bit of damage by my side at times, but it's not worth it when they are usually the first target and first to die. Pets are currently just trophies or meatshields.

• Like 1

+1

Would love to see an overhaul of taming in its entirety, but the addition of something akin to an animal companion seems like it would be a nice change.

+1 for taming overhaul. 

It's too silly that a person can only have one pet.

This is sticky suggestion. On one hand you get something fun out of it and a useful companion, but on the other the potential abuse can make you have a god-tier pet that can defend you from every hostile out there. Perma tame a champ croc and take it out with you on every outing and literally nothing can stop you. And thats assuming this doesn't cross to pvp, where it will cause real problems.

I'd love to see an overhaul to taming, but this suggestion doesn't touch specifics, so on this current state:

49 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

This is sticky suggestion. On one hand you get something fun out of it and a useful companion, but on the other the potential abuse can make you have a god-tier pet that can defend you from every hostile out there. Perma tame a champ croc and take it out with you on every outing and literally nothing can stop you. And thats assuming this doesn't cross to pvp, where it will cause real problems.

I'd love to see an overhaul to taming, but this suggestion doesn't touch specifics, so on this current state:

He did say bear and wolves only.... and those aint that badass even if champions

+1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angelklaine said:

This is how tamed animals got the CR nerf in the first place.  Some PvP'er put in the effort to grind taming to handle a champ croc, the cries of "nurf pl0x!!!!" won the day.  Lazy people who didn't wanna put in the grind to even their playing field simply had the skill relegated to a sidenote.

So here's a thought:

+1 on this idea and/or taming multiples for PvE

+1 on options to armour our critters on PvE

+1 on removing their CR nerf on PvE

AND

Leave taming as is or outright remove it on PvP (devs can discuss that with them directly, what happens on that side should not be PvE's problem).

Edit:

"STFU Mord, you can survive PvE without needing a tamed animal!! It's easy!!"

Yes, I goddamn know, I used to run around on foot in Xanadu unarmoured with an LT 2h sword gathering white-dotteds, and used taming mostly to use a croc as "boat" to cross a lake, occasionally to clear a troll cluster in my way or such.

"See?  You don't need it!!" 

I don't, other people aren't as good at combat and besides, it's not about NEED, no one NEEDS to play games yet we do it.  It's about FUN.

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mordraug said:

This is how tamed animals got the CR nerf in the first place.  Some PvP'er put in the effort to grind taming to handle a champ croc, the cries of "nurf pl0x!!!!" won the day.  Lazy people who didn't wanna put in the grind to even their playing field simply had the skill relegated to a sidenote.

So here's a thought:

+1 on this idea and/or taming multiples for PvE

+1 on options to armour our critters on PvE

+1 on removing their CR nerf on PvE

AND

Leave taming as is or outright remove it on PvP (devs can discuss that with them directly, what happens on that side should not be PvE's problem).

Edit:

"STFU Mord, you can survive PvE without needing a tamed animal!! It's easy!!"

Yes, I goddamn know, I used to run around on foot in Xanadu unarmoured with an LT 2h sword gathering white-dotteds, and used taming mostly to use a croc as "boat" to cross a lake, occasionally to clear a troll cluster in my way or such.

"See?  You don't need it!!" 

I don't, other people aren't as good at combat and besides, it's not about NEED, no one NEEDS to play games yet we do it.  It's about FUN.

My point had nothing to do with pvp. But even bears and wolves can make a big difference during pve combat, especially if you use them correctly. The game will become pets online with everyone hunting with a pet at their side.

My -1 is in its current state. I am not against taming, I just would like to see a better system than what we currently have. Naturally this will also require an overall mob overhaul. Its a snowball effect.

On the flip side, running around with plate-armored champ crocs would open things up for hunting servers, tougher mobs being added, more danger more violence more fun ^_^