Sign in to follow this  
Sn00

Permadeath on PvP servers.

Hi! 

I was thinking about a suggestion that I find to be a fair but interesting way to deal with alts on PvP servers.

How about introducing permadeath to characters below 20fs (that don't pop tab) when they die in a PvP situation?

That way you don't diminish new players but remove alts , and letting the people kill them!

• Like 1

permadeath, teleport to freedom, death timers; I think Snoo said it best on discord, "We're all seeking the same end-goal here."

I'd +1 any of these so +1.

• Like 1

Make it where toons that don't pop death tabs can only spawn at their capital. Disable village teleports for these toons as well, would pretty much solve the problem mostly. Noone would want to run alts over to the front lines from their capital every single time.

One way or another, theres a dozen ways to discourage/make using alts more annoying than it's worth. Implement one or two.

Edited by williamwierd
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, williamwierd said:

Make it where toons that don't pop death tabs can only spawn at their capital. Disable village teleports for these toons as well, would pretty much solve the problem mostly. Noone would want to run alts over to the front lines from their capital every single time.

That works just as good.

Just now, williamwierd said:

why wouldnt they just move their capital

it was just an example, and I'm rather hoping that they wouldn't move their capital just to make using alts easier.

Another way would be random spawns combined with delayed spawns.

why not just make it simple

non prem can't login to chaos

if you are sub 20 fs and die in any way on the server you can only spawn on freedom

i mean this does absolutely nothing to curb alt abuse really, because people are going to level 30 FS alts to grief and claim they are mains, like they've been doing for the last 10 years in pvp

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 1

Aye, that works just as well. I was just generally spitballing. Theres a dozen ways they can prevent/discourage/make it more annoying to us alts, they just need to implement one.

Edited by williamwierd

I see legal issues with erasing a premed player account (which permadeath would mean). Blocking non premed accs from Chaos would certainly work, yet it would isolate the tiny PvP community even further. And as long as basic accounts can access Chaos nothing hinders spamming alts, be they erased or not. Further on, FS 20 is reached so fast that it is no hindrance, and exceed easily in the first hours of premium time. the 1s/2s for 1m or 2w premium will certainly not be prohibitive.

The evil is in the "win at all cost" philosophy haunting the PvP scene. That cannot be curbed by some access restriction but will move to the next exploitable topic.

why not just report the alts and have a massive gm ban hammer on this meta with alt-spies there?

2 minutes ago, Finnn said:

why not just report the alts and have a massive gm ban hammer on this meta with alt-spies there?

cause its not against the rules.....

either way, hate to say it but this suggestion is one of the dumbest ones i have ever seen

just make it to where people below 20fs cant join a kingdom or whatever, but even then we all know that no matter what is being done against the "alt problem", people will find ways around it, just like your nachocheese friend or whatever his name is

to make people permadeath in a subscription based game is just so stupid on many levels

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Finnn said:

because currently its not against any rule, and to ban people over something not mechanically prevented is a dumb way to run a sandbox game

secondly, because the moment you make it "illegal" people will simply just use dedicated virtual servers and new characters to accomplish the same thing

thirdly, because what constitutes "alt abuse" is widely subjective. Is someone running a brand new character with a full equip load of 90ql gear but no FS an "alt" to you?  to some, having marginally above 20FS and having 50ql gear is considered "main toon" criterion

i could probably list a thousand reasons as to why this has not and will not ever be properly addressed

Edited by platinumteef

3 hours ago, Sn00 said:

Hi! 

I was thinking about a suggestion that I find to be a fair but interesting way to deal with alts on PvP servers.

How about introducing permadeath to characters below 20fs (that don't pop tab) when they die in a PvP situation?

That way you don't diminish new players but remove alts , and letting the people kill them!

just bring new one, also cost 2s to for an entire month of prem

I really don't see how this would help with anything.. Getting 20fs is an hour of hunting (for somebody that knows what is doing, for a casual new player can be way more)..

We had a new player in epic that was defending with us during fights and he had 8 FS at the time, and was still doing his part archering horses and mostly getting people annoyed.

If you don't have a clear definition of an 'alt', and a clear way to set them apart from actual players wanting to join pvp, then you are just setting even more goals for any new player that wants to be a part of the pvp game as soon as possible.

Edited by faty
  • Like 3

So what your saying is: that when I started playing this game many years ago, and was killed by a noob griefer within 20 minutes of starting the game, I should have been banned from playing? This was before the ability of noobs to even keep their gear on death, it was stolen and disposed of somewhere. How is that supposed to help the game add players? I was attacked by a Noob Griefer carrying a Troll Club at the starter town - by definition that is PvP

I wandered off into the wilderness and survived by searching the wiki, learning about crude tools and making them. I got lucky and found a fire starter. The rest is history. Sorry but this is a really, really bad idea.

• Like 4

-1, new players would never get a chance to start, another silly silly idea to deal with a non-existant problem.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing on free alts, annoying maybe but not game breaking where the devs should waste a minute of time thinking about placating the lazy forum warriors on this one.

You know what stops free alts from exploring, fences.  They are already coded in the game, imagine that?  Stop playing the forums and play the game.

Edited by madnezz
  • Like 4