Sign in to follow this  
Lainy

Client not working

Hello, I have tried and tried to open my client that I downloaded from main page. All I get is another client. They are just explorer tags. Do not even look like a game client.

I registered and created a character. What can I do? Thank you.

Edited by Lainy
  • Like 1

Hello Lainy,

Do you have the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed?

If you do not, download it here and install: https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

If you do not know if you have a 32 or 64 bit computer, please refer to the link below and select the appropriate download on the link above.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21726/how-do-i-know-if-im-running-32-bit-or-64-bit-windows-answers/

I have 64 bit Windows 10

I checked and already have the most updated version of Java. How do I get the one for mine?

Thank you for helping me.

>> All I get is another client. They are just explorer tags.

If by "Explorer tags" you mean it shows the MSIE icon    Internet-Explorer-icon.png  then the file might be "associated" with the wrong program. It should show a "java coffee cup icon" rather than an "explorer" icon.

Right click the wurmclient.jnlp file and make sure it is set to "OPEN  WITH..." the Java Web Start Launcher, like this:

a4R2dxW.png

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Found my problem. I was trying to use 32 bit. Have downloaded the 64 now. I'll try again. Oh Thank you! Thank you very much!

Edited by Lainy
  • Like 1

Okay, still not working. I uninstalled both the Javas I had. Re-downloaded the one from the Wurm main page. I still get that I am trying to use 32 bit on my 64 bit... I clicked to use it anyways and get that I have to register after I logged in on the client. This is a royal Pain!

12 hours ago, Lainy said:

Okay, still not working. I uninstalled both the Javas I had. Re-downloaded the one from the Wurm main page. I still get that I am trying to use 32 bit on my 64 bit... I clicked to use it anyways and get that I have to register after I logged in on the client. This is a royal Pain!

1) The forum account you use to post here is NOT the same as the GAME account to log into the game. This confuses a lot of people who think they already registered. 

You will end up with two separate accounts, one for forum and one for game.

It's probably best for security reasons if you use different username/passwords, though they can use the same ones.

To create a GAME account, register on this page:

https://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/WurmWeb/index.jsp?c=register  

2) If you have both 32 -and- 64 bit java on the computer, it will often try to use the 32 bit one. This confuses a lot of people.

To make sure you use ONLY a 64 bit java, uninstall all the java programs showing in Control Panel (yes, again!!) and then ONLY INSTALL this manual offline 64-bit version:

https://javadl.oracle.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=236888_42970487e3af4f5aa5bca3f542482c60

If you try to use a 32-bit browser to install then it will install the 32 bit Java, so be sure to use the MANUAL OFFLINE download I linked.

If you want the page link it is here: https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Make sure to select only the one marked "Windows Offline (64-bit)"

While the game will run on 32-bit, it will CRASH a lot on 32-bit and you will end up back here again :(

You have not had this issue yet but some  people have issues because they are running older generic microsoft windows drivers,

It's always best to make sure you have the lastest driver from the graphics card maker:

Things are a teensy more complicated if you have a laptop with "switchable grahics" -- ie Intel for battery saving and Nvidia or Radeon for gaming -- as you may need to go into the graphics control panel and tell it to use the dedicated GAMING card for Wurm; often it assumes all Java programs are home/office apps and won;t use the gaming card. Just let me know if that is the case for you, and if possible what graphics card you hacve.

Don't update graphics drivers through Windows Update/Device Manager as it only checks for microsoft made generic directX friendly drivers

It will sometimes tell you that you already have the best driver even if it is a very old and limited driver. Instead go direct to NVidia/AMD/Intel.

We will get there, just some easy steps left!

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2