Sign in to follow this  
elentari

Poll to gauge Player perception of the GM team

What is your confidence in the GM team overall?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. What is your confidence in the GM team overall?

• I have good confidence in the GM team to do their job
    • They're doing a good job, but there's room for improvement
    • I have no opinion either way
    • I don't have much faith in them
    • I have absolutely no confidence in the GM team whatsoever

Sorry you "feel" that way.

The institution as a whole (Game Managing!!! not Mastering, which is often the incorrect "Label" expressed) is designed in such a way as to try to avoid labelling and just make decisions.

Albeit, some people have a hard time switching their mode of operation from a labelling mechanism to an assessment mechanism.

The "institution as a whole", as you refer to it as, is a set of decision making algorithms, and if I understand correctly, what you are saying in your "example" is that you didn't like the outcome.

So much so that you've labelled "the team" as "poor" and you "lost faith in it".

"Bad" move, in my opinion.

The individuals may be "kind, polite, understanding and generally fair" (or not) but in the end, they need to make a decision or a number of decisions, sometimes favourable and sometimes not, individually and as a group.

In the end, those decisions are bounded by what Rolf and the Development Team allow or disallow and/or what the game dynamics allow or disallow and/or the community/players, as a whole, allows or disallows and/or the Game Manager Team allow or disallow.

Enjoy!

On 2/23/2019 at 2:23 AM, Shrimpiie said:

Fixed, they truly are anonymous even from staff now ;)

Now, the usual caveat applies. This is not a 50% pass non binding, and we have chosen a forum vote as we are able to see who votes and discount alts as well as other factors, but your voice is important and we would like to see how you all feel. 

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MrGARY said:

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x

Not all staff. 

Gms yes, higher ups no

I voted for option 5 "I have absolutely no confidence in the GM team whatsoever" how about you?

• Like 1

I think it's fair to say that most of the time the GM team is spot on and damn good at their job.

I'll be the first to admit that the GMs have far more limited tools than we developers would like them to have, and they do their best within the scope of those tools. You don't need to go further than a WU server to know this is the truth, and it would take a full-time developer a considerable amount of time to make the situation better. True that there are some tools we've held back from WU, but the majority are there. We have done some things, such as a log for deleted items. Data storage is constantly a concern though (for now), so we can't simply log every action everyone does and thus have the ability to completely undo every action.

Just some developer insight. I've been honored to work alongside the GMs on a number of cases over the years due to my position as Game Server Administrator. My vote was "no opinion" as I'm staff and wouldn't want to add a vote that'd be considered biased.

Edit: And just to be clear, my comment about the tools is meant to highlight their skill in dealing with day to day situations. :)

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Keenan said:

I think it's fair to say that most of the time the GM team is spot on and damn good at their job.

As individuals, the GMs are great people and amazing volunteers. They help us greatly to right wrongs and get us out of buggy situations. However, this is an -expected- part of their job, and one of the reasons they exist. A GM doesn't deserve a commendation for chasing my boat who zoned without me, as that is their job. They do deserve a commendation when after finding a boat, they turn me into a cheese and chase me around for a little bit. It is what they do beyond their duties that makes us love them. ❤️@Astarte

However, as a team, they fail miserably. They have singlehandedly devastated the morale of players by things such as mass bannings of individuals who were completely innocent by failing to do due diligence in their work. Things such as the WU kingdom bans, the Necro incident, the Banning of Propheteer and Joey (both banned for ... who even knows...? Things done outside the game?), the temp banning of Mikhael, etc. These things have made many of their victims (and they are indeed victims) leave for more fair pastures because they dont want to deal with the uncertain environment where you can be banned for no reason whatsoever at any time even when things happen when you are not logged on.

My point is we need to be able to tell the difference. I love the members of the GM team, but hate how the team as a whole approaches certain problems. Propheteer is still banned, a person who brought to this game so much the whole playerbase wants him back. 

I think thats why people are dissapointed with the team, not with the individuals, who have done great work for us.

• Like 2

As long as they don't turn me into monsters and make me freak out so much that i almost fall off my boat...

they are quite a helpful bunch ;)

Never had a reason to complain, most likely because 1) i don't play pvp and 2) never asked for help with problems which involved other players.

On 6/12/2019 at 6:04 AM, Beewolf said:

As long as they don't turn me into monsters and make me freak out so much that i almost fall off my boat...

they are quite a helpful bunch ;)

Never had a reason to complain, most likely because 1) i don't play pvp and 2) never asked for help with problems which involved other players.

Wait till a glaring bug hits you and the GM tells you they arent allowed to help you.

Then you'll have a reason to complain ?

I still remember when there was the landing on the roof bug, where you could get stuck in the roof of a house by disembarking inside, or riding on a cart as a passenger.  I'd just found a fallen deed with a bunch of cool stuff, so really didn't want to die.  Took a GM about 30 minutes to get out to me and TP me out of the roof, but it was a tense half an hour waiting!

Remember the nasty bug that deleted your boat when you crossed servers?  The GM team was very helpful, Enki even spawned in a new rowboat to replace the crappy one I had built and lost to this bug while on the way to an impalong.

Every interaction I've had with the GM team has been positive.  Not invalidating other's experiences, just adding mine to the list.

• Like 1