Sign in to follow this  
elentari

Poll to gauge Player perception of the GM team

What is your confidence in the GM team overall?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. What is your confidence in the GM team overall?

• I have good confidence in the GM team to do their job
    • They're doing a good job, but there's room for improvement
    • I have no opinion either way
    • I don't have much faith in them
    • I have absolutely no confidence in the GM team whatsoever

This poll is just made out of curiosity. As a wurm veteran playing for about 7 years now, I am curious to see what people's perceptions are of the GM team.

I'd rather the comments stay civilized, with no mudflinging and such. To me at least, a good GM team is an indicator oh how healthy the relationship is between a company and its players. Some MMOS have terrible GM staff, rife with corruption and pettiness that do more harm for the game than anything. Wurm is however a very delicate game and usually the GM team in my experience have done a decent job, considering it's all volunteer work.

I'm curious how you guys perceive the GM team overall?

(Note, the votes are anonymous, as all votes should be)

Edited by elentari
  • Like 1

In my opinion GM team is doing good job, in all cases they are polite and fix a problem if they can.

Only thing that worries me is many things they cannot do "couse it's pvp server". Of course it's not they fault but rules set by management of the game.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, elentari said:

(Note, the votes are anonymous, as all votes should be)

Only to the general public ;) 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SmeJack said:

Only to the general public ;) 

Fixed, they truly are anonymous even from staff now ;)

• Like 6

The GMs who answer my support tickets are pretty cool people :)

I always had great experience how my tickets were handled.

Fast and effective, where the issue was hard to (or took long time to) fix I've always been kept updated without any nagging needed from my side.

If the resolution was not in my favour I always had proper explanation why.

Can only thank the GM team to sacrifice your playtime to keep Wurm on track.

• Like 4

I have only positive memories from handling my tickets by GM staff

I only have good experiences with GM's. The same person patiently resetting my passwords over and over again because I forget about them, immediate support for being stuck, experimenting with me to reproduce bugs, turning me into things in the end or leaving small presents. All things handled with a professional but very friendly sense. Sometimes the waiting time on a ticket can be a bit long but that's just about the only thing that could be improved in my honest opinion.

The way bans are handled is atrocious, picking characters selectively who had nothing to do with any issues at all, and player not even logged in at the time - and then there is the silencing of those who complain about it, like I probably will be now (again)..

• Like 3

After wave of bans, when firstly our players has been banned wihout checking by gms what happened, only after one week bans was rescinded, ive lost my confidence to GMs

Edited by Votip
  • Like 1

I've always received great support. Some issues could not be fixed - I am still grieving over my rare dioptra that just disappeared and nobody could find it, for example - sometimes help came after a very long wait, but help always came and the GMs have been friendly throughout even when I was a bit agitated or frustrated or nervous. That said, I do agree that the ban thing that others mentioned was a bit of a setback, so I suppose not everyones experiences are as good as mine.

I've had a few support tickets over the past 2 months and I must say I am really impressed with our GM team :) 

From my experience the people handing the smaller stuff like the tickets seem to do great work. Though the higher the chain one goes the more guessing work it becomes as a player to what is actually happening. 

I trust the team fully to do the simple and small stuff but honestly i have no clue how they handle big stuff as all we hear from it is:  "We banned a macro-ring." or "We banned a group of people that were using exploits."

And i will admit that i have heard rumors in the past of corruption and slacking but being just an player i got no clue how accurate that is.

I can confirm that all ticket work I had to do with was handled with highest professionality and friendliness.

Now if it comes to inter customer quarrels, and rule violations, that is the hardest and most unpleasant part of any administrative work, and I can confirm that from decades in second and third level system administration, where we could drop the most unpleasant cases to HR department and management.

The ingame admins do not have that choice. So they have to get their hands dirty when sorting the crap players cause. It cannot be expected that they make everybody happy.

In the case of the PvP exploit, from my observation, the case was handled in a prudent and reluctant way. When the exploit was detected, it was right to stuff the holes, even by indiscriminate measures like raid ban and player bans. The proven perpetrator eventually received a severe disciplinary, the rest was relieved and compensated their lost prem time, though there is no obligation to do so.

So I feel the complaints about inedaquate and childish. Moreover I do not trust in the maiden innocence of all of those cleared from ban and suspicion. Rather the case was handled under in dubio pro reo (innocent until proven guilty) auspices which is of course correct. But it does not mean that all cleared players were indeed unaware of the abuse and not complicit. So they may have good reason to stay silent.

Edited by Ekcin
typo
  • Like 1

Poll seems too restricted imo.

Also, im quite split on this. My general GM encounters are quite good, however thats usually limited to problems that you could consider basic ticket problems at the level where a player is unable to solve it, yet its not a huge problem for GMs.

When it comes to bigger cases tho, things that involve bigger groups of people, a whole kingdom, other staff members or dev opinions i usually end up quite disappointed.

showcases of this were, for example, when someone tried to break out a penned unique and the GM that took the ticket ruled that it was fine. Escalation to Enki only ended up with the result being to go take it up with the Devs as uniques were not meant to be penned and the only Dev opinion (read: opinion. not official statement) was that they'd like to change it but dont have the time to do so. this was 1.5 years ago now and the GM team still shrugs it off as not being their problem.

or the recent ritual situation on xanadu after the religion update. the initial ritual ban was placed solely based on Enki not being aware of how rituals work, the ban being held up until he got confirmation that the explanation of rituals provided by players was actually accurate. after that it was reinforced by the devs to last until the current rituals faded (that was the only ban i considered okay due to the fact that people otherwise would not have been able to gain all the SB). after the next ritual cast there was a new ban, unsurprisingly, this time for no apparent reason. it was blamed on a bug with rituals that was never further explained. this ban was upheld until an update shortly after that which completely wiped ALL favor pools of all gods across all servers. the statement was that the pools were almost depleted anyways, however, i still doubt it to this day.

• Like 2

Never had gm issue.. on the other hand CA's are quite limited with what they could do, but with some of the names I've seen to wave such status.. rather keep things be as they are than give power to certain names.

3 hours ago, AJBlack said:

I am still grieving over my rare dioptra that just disappeared and nobody could find it

Probably the same thing that happened to my rare shovel the other day...

Fighting 8 mobs at once. Right clicked a mob to target>attack, but instead accidentally chose throw>at enemy. My activated rare shovel was thrown at the mob, which then embedded into the mob's inventory. Without noticing all of that, I buchered all 8 mobs and immediately "bury all" of the corpses (with another shovel I had on my hotbar).

There went my shovel, with no event message indicating where it went.

Edited by As_I_Decay
  • Like 2

Yes one of my most feared misclicks is the "Ranged" on fight options...

• Like 1

There's always something that can be improved in everything, anyone who denies that is an idiot.

I've never had any problems with the GM team or any member of the wurm team. Those that I've spoken to have been kind, helpful and done the job that they're here to do as best as they can. Most GM's are happy to help out, show up for impalongs and engage with the community in ways I've never seen in other games. Can't ask for more really! 

I've had no problems with the GM team. They've always been friendly, helpful, and great to talk to. Have there been decisions that I disagree with? Sure. But at the end of the day they are people trying to make the best calls they can based on the information available. And I really like that they are players like us, and willing to engage the community. 

Until staff, especially GMs and CMs,  are barred from pvp there will always be bias or the appearance of bias.  No other game that I have played has allowed staff, especially GMs, to participate in pvp for this obvious reason.  There will always be a cloud of doubt over every decision made whether it is warranted or not until they realize this is not normal or OK.

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/167881-farewell-to-the-greatest-dev/&do=findComment&comment=1712549

Edited by madnezz
  • Like 1