Sign in to follow this  
Threap

The Purge

Can we have a regular (like 3-6 months) event like the movie The Purge, where pvp gets turned on on all Freedom servers for a day or a weekend. This will allow freedom players to sort out their differences the old fashion way and should also encourage players to not act like ######s to each other and curb a lot of the toxic behavior from fear of redemption on purge day.

• Like 2

Does this mean I need to move further inland on Xanadu to avoid being looted? "The Coast is no longer safe".

Whilst I agree this could be fun for some, there are many on Freedom who don't train FS much and just enjoy playing wurm, I would hate to see this abused and ruin someone's deed / hard work all in one weekend. If it's PvP (combat) only then maybe... 

(My understanding of the Purge movie includes all the looting/chaos etc.. which you may or may not have intended to suggest)

Edited by Vaelir
  • Like 1

People shouldn't forget that that 100's of residents on epic server home servers were peaceful, despite knowing they could kill each other.
There was player govern rules and alliances who sought to protect the lands against the bandits and these bandits would be hunted day and night.

• Like 5

Let's do it!  +1

Even if it was pvp lite as Wild was before getting full pvp enabled during the transition to Chaos, that'd be fun.

Edited by Nomadikhan

Didn't this happen once and it went very badly? Something about forcing pvp on players that only play pve and a bunch of subscriptions were lost? If you remember this please speak up, i might just be remembering wrong.

I like the idea, for the reasons mentioned so far, but I'm not sure how to prevent abuses of it. It would certainly be a game changer.... what about the people that have played for ages and dont want their deeds raided? People leave some pretty valuable stuff out on freedom. This would really wreck that... unless a hybrid system was figured out, like unable to pickup items. Then you could lockpick in and kill someone but not take stuff. Its a tricky idea.

• Like 1

This is like forcing the folks on old JK-H to suddenly be a semi-PvP server like we have with the homeservers on Epic today. A lot of grief, and a lot of sorrow. If you want a mostly PvE experience with the occasional, play on a homeserver on Epic. Both Affliction and Serenity have "thriving" populations, though I'm sure the folks over on Serenity are less death inclined than the ones on Affliction.

4 minutes ago, yemini said:

How about a new cluster with this ;) 

Epic pretty much already has this and it's already dead. We don't need more clusters, we don't need more servers.

"Those who do not understand history are doomed to repeat it."

- "Weird" Al Yankovic

• Like 10

yeah no more Wurmageddons please. (unless combat only)
i've poured 2 years worth of upkeep into my main deed, which is on the coast. This would be the end of it.
Raise the sea level instead, it'd be funnier.

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 2

Tellin' ya, the old PvP-Lite period WIld had before it became chaos.. Catapults and bashing was disabled.  Only lockpicking was enabled.  If you were ondeed, chances were very low you'd be killed unless you afk'd outside and exposed yourself to archers.

i started Wurm on Epic on MR Home, There was literally no deed griefing, people were held accountable for their actions. There was a griefer or two but they where delt with by the sword and rarely lasted very long. I posted this because I occasionally hear how someone continuously griefs a road or the permimeter of a freedom deed, i feel like 95% of the people doing this only do it because they can with zero consequence to their actions. Having some sort of potential consequence would fix this and other problems, unique pinning and similar anti social/anti community behavior would also be eliminated by some player driven pvp related consequence to being a ###### on freedom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vaelir said:

Does this mean I need to move further inland on Xanadu to avoid being looted? "The Coast is no longer safe".

Whilst I agree this could be fun for some, there are many on Freedom who don't train FS much and just enjoy playing wurm, I would hate to see this abused and ruin someone's deed / hard work all in one weekend. If it's PvP (combat) only then maybe... 

(My understanding of the Purge movie includes all the looting/chaos etc.. which you may or may not have intended to suggest)

No, bud.... all of Xanadu is safe.  The PvPers sailing from Chaos wouldn't even reach the coast before the time limit had expired.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Threap said:

i started Wurm on Epic on MR Home, There was literally no deed griefing, people were held accountable for their actions. There was a griefer or two but they where delt with by the sword and rarely lasted very long. I posted this because I occasionally hear how someone continuously griefs a road or the permimeter of a freedom deed, i feel like 95% of the people doing this only do it because they can with zero consequence to their actions. Having some sort of potential consequence would fix this and other problems, unique pinning and similar anti social/anti community behavior would also be eliminated by some player driven pvp related consequence to being a ###### on freedom.

The days of people being held accountable, are sadly gone it seems. This will lead to 'gangs' of people mass looting and killing. 

If this happens, I will quit immediately. Even if they miss my place. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Threap said:

This will allow freedom players to sort out their differences the old fashion way and should also encourage players to not act like ######s to each other and curb a lot of the toxic behavior from fear of redemption on purge day.

So instead, they'll act like little bitches on said day/weekend and then hold a grudge until the next one to enact vengeance. I'm not sure I see this thing panning out the way you do.

I guess it works out better on full-time PVP servers because potential consequences are omnipresent. With the proposed system, I see people nolifing through the weekend and doing all sorts of shenanigans, knowing they go scot free after that for several months.

Tell you what, you don't want "bitchy behaviour"? Include a declaration of war against an offending deed prior to the event. No free for all crap, you have a serious problem with someone, you ought to let them know well ahead of time and only then you can attack them during this event. No petty midnight raids and cowardly undercover attacks on deeds while someone is offline. If they're offline, you can't do anything to the deed either. At best you can prevent them from playing this way for a whole weekend if they don't want to face the conflict, which is an inconvenience that'll get the message across equally.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Threap said:

This will allow freedom players to sort out their differences the old fashion way and should also encourage players to not act like ######s to each other and curb a lot of the toxic behavior from fear of redemption on purge day.

It dosen't take but a small bit of common sense and knowledge of human behavior to realize that this will have the exact opposite effect of what you state. There are a fair number of players who don't like others for their own peculiar reasons (mentally unstable? bullies?) who would take this as an opportunity to grief others. This suggestion is just so outright foolish (to refrain from more appropriate insulting words) that I can't believe anyone could endorse it for having the remotest minuscule chance of any positive effect. Well no, I mean None.

Maybe right now you are itching for the possibility of this "Purge" to happen so that you could come and attempt to ruin my deed and kill my character because I have criticized your "brilliant" idea. This "fear" that you wish to impose upon others due to whatever your problems are needs to be addressed outside the game with some professional help, I think. Until then, dream on of your terrible powerful vengeance that you will inflict upon others in an attempt to ruin their game experience to live a peaceful existence. Yes, the pvp parts of the game are for you. Stay there! Don't come the PvE servers with your resentments or you will just be frustrated that you can't take your problems out on others.

=Ayes=

• Like 3

Pretty sure this thread is just PvPers collectively trolling the PvE playerbase. I mean, c'mon, this isn't even going to make it out of the gates... It's been good for a laugh though.

• Like 1

Turn an existing pve server into pvp server permanently :D which server is lowest pop? 

Even pvpers quit pvp-ing so.. what's the point, kill remaining player base and move to wu and other games/life?

Despite thinking it will only allow people to "take revenge" on those who irk them, it will also allow people to break walls and loot stuff they want.  You will see them camping out bigger and established deeds to gain entry on the purge day.  It could allow people to not only loot stuff out of houses, pick locks and take ships and carts and wagons (with everything in it, including any locked chests or bsbs or whatever you have locked up), but also kill horses, terraform your deed, chop your orchards, remove your mine supports, and generally wreak havoc.  So, even though it would be fine to give some people what's coming to them, the other stuff that comes with this would far overshadow that short-lived redemption.

• Like 1