Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Rift Dragon (NOT A NORMAL DRAGON)

Something I always felt was missing from rifts was a climactic battle at the end; usually the initial part of wave 3 is tough, but then it gets really easy by the end.  Also, on larger servers getting home is a real bugger at 4am in the morning after a rift.

Thus, I propose that at the end of each rift, if certain conditions are met (high number of premium players in local with contributions over a certain level), one final wave spawns after participation awards are given; the rift dragon.

The rift dragon being much stronger than a regular dragon, with a large rift wide AoE attack, and with an unusual tweak; the dragon's attacks deal extra damage to anyone wearing dragon/drake/moonmetal armour.  It will always head back to the rift area and, if not killed within an hour, it despawns and the rift ends as per normal

When killed, anyone who passes a reasonable (10+?) participation score on the initial rift, or lands a blow on the rift dragon, earns a random piece of loot:

• Rift Dragon Bone Fragments - Can be crafted into a rune that can be applied to any item (essentially a multi-material rune)
  • Rift Dragon Scales - Can be used on an item to give them an extra rune slot (100% success rate)
  • Rift Dragon Blood - Acts like a single use of silvery fluid (prevents 1 shatter on an item), or can be consumed to teleport a player home
  • Rift Dragon Heart - Grants one free use of teleport corpse (karma skill)

No corpse is left behind, instead a temporary (1 hr duration) portal opens that takes an player that uses it back to their home deed token on that server, along with their ridden mount (passengers get taken to the pilot's home deed).

• Like 7

+1

I won't comment or place vote on the uses of rewards, but the idea behind it all and dragon itself garner a +1 from me.  This or anything similar would be impressive and fun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Loink said:

+1 for the idea of adding a tougher mob 

+1 to a tougher mob that fits the Jackal lore.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

It will always head back to the rift area and, if not killed within an hour, it despawns and the rift ends as per normal

Second thought, this basically means that on Epic, it just means waiting an hour for the tough mob to despawn so you can harvest the rift mats, since the pop most likely won't be there to kill it. And technically, the Warmaster is supposed to be the tough mob.

To be honest, I wish Rifts were only one wave, but a designed battle: rather like Uttacha Spawns. Really most sincerely what I want to see is better Rift AI: a Warmaster actually coordinating forces. :) Use the jackals to protect the casters, rift beasts as roving patrols, the Ogres as a reserve shock force, etc. Maybe even change the AI battle design based on the Warmaster's condition (raging/sly/etc.)

This would result in less painful battle duration, and more excitement.

• Like 2

I saw a picture of a wurm monster the other day somewere I haven't seen before looked perfect for rift add to yes id like see more creatures

+1 We got enough dragons why not another mythical creature to pop out of the rift?
Rift Sphinx or a Giant Rift Cockatrice

• Like 2

On 2/22/2019 at 3:57 PM, Roccandil said:

+1 to a tougher mob that fits the Jackal lore.

+1

On 2/23/2019 at 1:39 AM, Etherdrifter said:

...deal extra damage to anyone wearing dragon/drake/moonmetal armour...

Why this?

+1 to the general idea of a tougher mob/boss. However, instead of the kill rewards automatically appearing in inventory, I propose this:

Corpse of vanquished boss cannot be picked up. Anyone wanting rewards need to harvest with their own equipment (butcher knife etc). Harvest success, amount and ql depend on:

- skill level

- equipment ql, state and condition

- player performance during boss fight

Also, -1 on the instant travel portal. Personally not the biggest fan of travelling, but I see its value and neccessity.

after a rift is long way to go home I thought u were going to say have a caravan there to sleep the nite lol