Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

W.S.A Extended downtime 21/FEB/19

@Sklo:DI think no real need for a hyper-v and MS servers. It is very easy to reach synced servers with automatic failover natively on linux and with very low network overhead using KVM and keeping the data on ZFS volumes.

Edited by Jaz

8 minutes ago, Jaz said:

@Sklo:DI think no real need for a hyper-v and MS servers. It is very easy to reach synced servers with automatic failover natively on linux and with very low network overhead using KVM and keeping the data on ZFS volumes.

I am a windows fan but of course there are linux solutions too.

• Like 1

I was glad all is back up again, until not very long ago, Xan seems to be hanging.

Last event message I got was this one (CET) [16:18:03] Your inventory is full. You would have no space to put whatever you pick.

After that, nothing. Can't do anything but moving back and forth, can't post anything in any channel and can't perform any actions. Can't even log in another alt atm.
I hope it's just a minor inconvenience, but I fear for the worst, as it's now 10 minutes that this happened.

Thorin :)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gylnne said:

Thank you Sklo. Sounds like Xan need Windows Hyper-V 2019:P

Xan just needs double the hamsters.

I really like this server but some days I get nothing accomplished.

4 minutes ago, Thorinoakshield said:

I was glad all is back up again, until not very long ago, Xan seems to be hanging.

Last event message I got was this one (CET) [16:18:03] Your inventory is full. You would have no space to put whatever you pick.

After that, nothing. Can't do anything but moving back and forth, can't post anything in any channel and can't perform any actions. Can't even log in another alt atm.
I hope it's just a minor inconvenience, but I fear for the worst, as it's now 10 minutes that this happened.

You're not alone.

Just now, Ajala said:

You're not alone.

I know. There are another 70 players suffering from the same problem. ;)

And now we're into a full crash. Got both my clients kicked from the server. Or better said, the external host disconnected, as that's the message showing up at my logging in screen.

Thorin :(

Edited by Thorinoakshield

Xanadu is on the way back up again (15-20 minute boot time). This issue has nothing to do with the Indy move or the lag reduction efforts. I was able to capture useful data and we will be reviewing.

• Like 3

Xan-Hamster Lunchbreak interruption error..  Hit any Hamster to continue...

15-20 minute boot time? No disrespect Keenan but is there not something that can be done to make this quicker? I know nothing about servers etc. just asking a question.:)

Edited by Gylnne

4 minutes ago, Gylnne said:

15-20 minute boot time? No disrespect Keenan but is there not something that can be done to make this quicker? I know nothing about servers etc. just asking a question.:)

No disrespect Gylnne but the only way to do that would be to update hardware..which wouldn't fix this issue. however, I would assume if there was a super fast start-up button he would have used it right? 

Just now, Milamber said:

No disrespect Gylnne but the only way to do that would be to update hardware..which wouldn't fix this issue. however, I would assume if there was a super fast start-up button he would have used it right? 

6 minutes ago, Gylnne said:

The only way would be to reduce Xanadu's size, which isn't possible. That or rewrite large chunks of the server, which is also not possible at this time.

As for the hardware, we're running on some pretty fast hardware. It's actually overkill really. :)

1 minute ago, Keenan said:

The only way would be to reduce Xanadu's size, which isn't possible. That or rewrite large chunks of the server, which is also not possible at this time.

As for the hardware, we're running on some pretty fast hardware. It's actually overkill really. :)

One more question if I may. Is not Sklo's suggestion an answer?

2 minutes ago, Gylnne said:

One more question if I may. Is not Sklo's suggestion an answer?

No, that has nothing to do with how fast servers can start up or to reduce lag. More like how fast they can be moved to another server when there is an error on one server.

The worlds itself will not be affected, it is more like a network and operating system thing.

Server start up time and lag reduction has to be done in the program code.

Edited by Sklo:D

1 minute ago, Sklo:D said:

No, that has nothing to do with how fast servers can start up or to reduce lag. More like how fast they can be moved to another server when there is an error on one server.

The worlds itself will not be affected, it is more like a network and operating system thing.

Server start up time and lag reduction has to be done in the program code.

I see, thank you for your reply.

Xan is up, just noticed a weird glitch, all the toons were displaced and showed up on completely different locations then when the server went down

Looks like we're back in business again. And not just for a short moment this time, I hope.

Thx for solving this matter this fast, Dev's.

PS: was wondering, now we Xan ppl have had a double dosis of downtime, does that mean we are getting capes? :D

Edited by Thorinoakshield

51 minutes ago, Gylnne said:

I see, thank you for your reply.

In the noisy and full-of-copper wires world of servers 15-20 mins boot time is decent. I know server hardware which spends 10+ mins BEFORE the actual operating system boot begins. ..

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MacOofer said:

Xan is up, just noticed a weird glitch, all the toons were displaced and showed up on completely different locations then when the server went down

That often happens after a hard server crash. It usually means that the server didn't copy what was in memory to disk. People who just created something immediately prior to the crash will likely have to finish creating it again if this is indeed the root cause.

Feels like they broke Xanadu when they got the new Indy hardware. ?

Xan just crashed again, about a minute ago.

I'm afraid it looks like there's another serious problem popping up as this is the 2nd time today.

Thorin :(