Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

W.S.A Extended downtime 21/FEB/19

To facilitate moving the Independence server back to its proper hardware, we will be undergoing an extended maintenance period around 12pm server time on the 21st of Feb 2019. 

We expect this downtime to last 1-2 hours and will update if necessary. 

EDIT: We are still working on things. Current ETA is an additional 30 minutes.

EDIT: Servers are coming online!

For compensation with the independence lag, and extended downtimes we will be providing 5 hours sleep bonus during the maintenance restart on the 28th of February 2019

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

12pm server time

What is server time and can we have it translated to human time?

Also where do you check server time?

• Like 2

Thanks yet again for the sleep bonus, you are too generous. Best of luck with the move ?

And we're off! I've started the transfer of Indy's data. The current emergency hardware will be left in a state where I can boot Indy back up in the event things go wrong.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Keenan said:

And we're off! I've started the transfer of Indy's data. The current emergency hardware will be left in a state where I can boot Indy back up in the event things go wrong.

Time to set up a Hyper-V Failover cluster :P

1 minute ago, Sklo:D said:

Time to set up a Hyper-V Failover cluster :P

We are working on solutions for this. Just nothing I can say for the time being. This is not our ideal solution.

nice to hear about the compensation! :) tyvm, also to clarify, cause im new and maybe dumb question, but when will the sleep bonus be applied to our accounts? today the 21st? or on the 28th? cause you have two dates there and i was a tad bit confused and would like to use up my 2 hours of sleep bonus since it would be wasted otherwise if possible. regardless thanks devs! :) more sleep bonus is still better :) so i aint complaining 

Just now, ProPandaPlays said:

nice to hear about the compensation! :) tyvm, also to clarify, cause im new and maybe dumb question, but when will the sleep bonus be applied to our accounts? today the 21st? or on the 28th? cause you have two dates there and i was a tad bit confused and would like to use up my 2 hours of sleep bonus since it would be wasted otherwise if possible. regardless thanks devs! :) more sleep bonus is still better :) so i aint complaining 

The sleep bonus will be applied on the 28th to give folks time to use what they may already have.

• Like 1

Just now, Keenan said:

The sleep bonus will be applied on the 28th to give folks time to use what they may already have.

Since you're hoping people will use what they have, does this mean the compensation sleep bonus will not be able to exceed the base sleep bonus of 5 (or 6 for overachievers) hours? Or will it go to a max of 10 hours per usual with compensation?

3 minutes ago, Seriphina said:

Since you're hoping people will use what they have, does this mean the compensation sleep bonus will not be able to exceed the base sleep bonus of 5 (or 6 for overachievers) hours? Or will it go to a max of 10 hours per usual with compensation?

Sleep bonus has a hard cap of 10 hours, and a soft cap of 5 or 6 depending on if you've completed the journal entry. This means that as a player, you can only gain up to 5 or 6 hours respectively, whereas we can grant sleep bonus up to a maximum of 10 hours total on your character.

16 minutes ago, Seriphina said:

Since you're hoping people will use what they have

As you can't get any sleep bonus by logging off in a bed when you're already at 5+ hours of SB, it's ideal to try and have close to no sleep bonus left when we get the 5h compensation. That way we can more easily burn it down to <5 hours before we log off again.

This 1 week heads up allows for us to prepare for that.

Best of luck with the server move, devs!

Edited by Raamkozijn
Typo

2 minutes ago, Raamkozijn said:

As you can't get any sleep bonus by logging off in a bed when you're already at 5+ hours of SB, it's ideal to try and have close to no sleep bonus left when we get the 5h compensation. that way we can more easily burn it down to <5 hours before we log off again.

This 1 week heads up allows for us to prepare for that.

Best of luck with the server move, devs!

I get that the people who don't log in daily would need to account for that, I was more concerned with if I have to go through the 4 hours I already have or not get the full compensation. :)

45 minutes ago, Keenan said:

We are working on solutions for this. Just nothing I can say for the time being. This is not our ideal solution.

What could be more ideal than live migrating VMs within seconds? ;) 

Just my thoughts on why using something like powerful enterprise failover clusters for something like WU or WO is one of the best ways to go.

First of all Windows Hyper-V 2019 (server core) edition is completly free to use and support way more CPU cores and RAM than WO will ever need in the next 10 years.

Since every server seems to have it's own machine already a lot money already runs into hardware, while each machine is so powerful that it could run a few worlds for sure. So most of the hardware power is wasted, big amounts of time go into administration and dealing with hardware errors, migrating just a single server is a nightmare as we can see.

Having every world set up in a small linux VM and running more than one world on a single machine increases performance sharing and safes money which can be spend on a failover cluster and more DEVs. Having a failover cluster of different Hypervisors running multiple VMs at a time can be a blast. If a server is fully occupied and causes lags you can just migrate the VM of the server live without any shutdown to the next hypervisor which has some performance available. Or if a server is broken just migrate it to another one. If you want to change machines because there is better hardware at lower costs available just migrate everything off the old one join the new one to the cluster and live migrate to the new hypervisor.

Using a fast Storage cluster with NVMe SSDs to store the VMs and 10Gbit uplinks on all machines for the connection to the hypervisors could even increase performance and simplify backup solutions.

I would love to use technology like that for Sklotopolis, still we are not big enough yet, had 300 players online at the same time while humble bundle on 4 servers using one very powerful machine worked great, no lag, so sadly not needed yet :)

Edited by Sklo:D

• Indy's data has been transferred successfully and restored onto the hardware.
  • Today's update has been applied.

I will be bringing Golden Valley up first, followed by Independence in a locked-down state at first. The servers may show as online, but they will not be! I will post here once my testing is done and all servers are starting.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Votip said:

cmooon bro, my mother back to home soon

13uxwz.jpg

• Like 3

giphy.gif#

For those who do not know, that is usually the gif my players post when my team is breaking fixing things on Sklotopolis.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 3

Just now, Gylnne said:

Xan is not up, trouble with this server?

Xanadu is just taking a lot longer due to bigger environment

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

Xanadu is just taking a lot longer due to bigger environment

Thank you Sklo. Sounds like Xan need Windows Hyper-V 2019:P

Edited by Gylnne