Sign in to follow this  
AJBlack

Darq Canal Project

Special thanks to Thorinoakshield for teaching me how to properly go about these things. As I own the deeds in the area and I would love to be helpful to my neighbours, I've reinstated it as an alliance project. However, as this will be a public canal, to benefit everyone, anyone willing is welcome to help!     

We are working on the existing Darq Canal just south-west of Greymead.

CHANGES WE WANT TO MAKE:

1. Mine Out The Veins - IN PROGRESS
  2. Mine Down The Floor To 26 Depth - Not Yet Started
  3. Dredge Down Outside & Create Walkway Entrance - COMPLETE
  4. Strongwall Ship Entrance & Mine Out From The Inside To Increase Depth - Not yet started
  5. Re-build the Entrance Area to both the canal and the walkway - Not Yet started
  6. Mine a 2-Tile Walkway - IN PROGRESS
  7. Flatten Walkway  - Not Yet started
  8. Make The Walkway A Highway - Not Yet started
  9. Add Lighting - Not Yet started
  10. Add Statues For Crediting Participants - Not Yet started
  11. Make Darq Canal a Heritage site - Not Yet started

As a result, Darq canal will be accessible to all ships and also by cart/wagon/foot to anyone, and deeds on both sides of the canal have the benefit of the highway connection.

TEAM:

• AJBlack - Mining, Digging/Dredging, Lamps, Statues, Catseyes, Concrete
  • Snowtech - Mining, Tools
  • Zethreal - Mining
  • Thorinoakshield - Mining, Advise
  • Wurmhole - Original Tunnel

If you are interested in working on the canal or are working on it already without me knowing, please let me know. It's a long tunnel! 

I will keep this thread up to date with what progress we make.

Edited by AJBlack

After a ton of surface mining and dredging, I've managed to create a nice 2-tile entrance for the walkway. I'm still fixing up the ground around it, then tunneling will begin! Unfortunately some buildings and the beauty of my deed had to bite the dust for this progress hah. 

CcHdE40.jpg

Just out of curiousity, how's this project going after I decided to leave?

When I checked the progress of the canal a couple of days ago, I found that from the east side up most of the veins blocking passage are gone. 97% of those were removed by Qdlaty (bows in respect); the rest by me, Ajala and Shamflam.

At the west side, however, things are a mess.

Part of the floor is removed to maximum depth; even in area's were veins were still present.

Following that, the veins that were there weren't removed; although that's something that would've been a lot easier if the floor was there. But I won't go there anymore.

Near the eastern entrance is another entrace, 2-3 tiles wide, but that entrance floor is low enough to have water on it. So not sure if this is planned to be a boat entrance or a road entrance.

One of the veins in the area with the mined out floor is having a crate rack with a few crates near it. Both rack and crate have some damage, meaning the owner hasn't been there to pick both up for quite some time.

All and all it's giving me the impression the entire project is abandonned, leaving a perfectly traversable (for low draft ships and all road travel) canal / tunnel into something that can be used by low draft ships only now.

Thorin :) 

• Like 1

I sailed through this last night. Very, very smooth compared to a few months ago. Hardly any veins in the way at all.