Sign in to follow this  
Sn00

Another question for the devs

As the title says, I have a question for the dev team.

(Compared to Angel, I ain't a trickster!)

This game is mostly community based and a large majority of the devs were normal players before joining the team, and still does play even after becoming a dev.

Has the decision you made to work for the game directly affected you positively or negatively in any way and if so , how?

archaed went from a nice guy to a jerk that doesnt give me EXACTLY what i want WHEN i want it

oh wait you were asking the devs 

sorry!

Edit: before someone goes ham on insulting me im just messin around

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 2

I was a forum moderator (and CA) before becoming a dev, so I'm not sure I count as a normal player per sé, but being a dev has actually made me enjoy the game more.  Digging around in the code, I found some really silly easter eggs, which I then had to try, and seeing how people use or experience bits I've created is fantastic.  Also, most of the small changes I've made were things that really annoyed me as a player (and I still have a list of those I haven't gotten to).  I do occasionally hit something, and wonder how it really works, and have to go digging in the code to figure it out.  But being able to really test stuff as a player is hugely helpful - a bunch of stuff in the cooking update got changed before launch because although it seemed like a good idea in theory, once we actually tried using it (without using GM spawns, etc), it just didn't work.

The challenge as a dev is to avoid implementing in such a way that only fits my personal play style.  But I do feel the pain of not enough documentation (this was my main complaint before joining staff), so I do try to make sure stuff is usefully documented.  Eventually.

• Like 8

On 2/20/2019 at 10:53 PM, Pandalet said:

I'm not sure I count as a normal player

yep, you've never been normal :P 

As someone who's lived near or at Panda's deed since we both started our wurm lives I can say she's not changed a bit after becoming one of those dev thingy's  

• Like 1

My way to dev was more or less fluid - from 3rd party tool developer to board moderator, client developer and finally client/server developer (I still spend 90-95% of dev time on 3rd party tools, through). I surely know more about how things work under the hood than average player, but if anything it probably just enchanted my experience a bit. I tend to implement quality of life/balance features when I encounter any area which could be improved, and what's the better way to find these areas than just playing the game. This creates positive feedback loop - the more I play and watch other people playing, the higher quality changes I'm able to introduce and also get more enjoyment from the gameplay as annoying bits are polished over time.

• Like 7