Sign in to follow this  
yemini

Thoughts on a new cluster/game mode

14 hours ago, Zenity said:

Rather than add a new server, we need to consider consolidation of the playerbase, not further fragmentation of it.

I imagine it might not sit well with a lot of folks on the servers in question, but I've often wondered if it would be possible to stitch the smaller servers together so that they were technically one server. Essentially leaving the land masses as they are, but narrowing the seas (server borders) between them.

Edited by Schiann
typo

48 minutes ago, Schiann said:

IMO, what we could really use is some sort of natural erosion of terraformed land, to make it seem more wild to newcomers. But of course, that's insanely complex.

Yeah, or staff could do it

Open two new servers. One pvp on pve. Give everyone a year? to move and close all other servers after that time period. Give everyone fair warning with emails and that gives people time to prep to sail over. 

Basically two fresh maps and a populated land again. 

Two servers the size of Indy (16km x 16km) is probably big enough with the players that are already active in wurm.

A new cluster with 1 pvp and 1 pve  server that allows move from that server (provided it is the same or more difficult) to the existing servers permanently but not take any transfer from the existing ones would be better imo. If transfers from existing servers to it would be allowed, it really wouldnt be fresh and wouldnt feel fresh.

• Like 1

Noone sensible would join an MMO where others have 10 years of skill points, money, rare resources. Needs a guarantee that the new server will never have any connection to old servers, then it should work.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, zCat said:

Noone sensible would join an MMO where others have 10 years of skill points, money, rare resources. Needs a guarantee that the new server will never have any connection to old servers, then it should work.

Those're pretty much my exact thoughts; it's one of the main things keeping me from really getting back into this game. 

Overall, I think a new cluster will be what this game eventually needs to survive. 

It offers a chance for the devs to try something big and new such as blend pve and pvp servers effectively, or overhaul the game in a massive way. It also offers a great time for new players to be invited to jump in and experience the game as it really should be. The argument that it'll get old again is valid, however that's why you make changes and updates to offer new chances for new experiences. 

15 hours ago, zCat said:

It could certainly be done. It's be done with numerous Wurm Unlimited servers. However, most older players would probably not join. So that means the older servers will be getting even less new players than they already do and the newer servers will only be getting a trickle of players. There's no good solution, it's just the arc of games such as these I suppose.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

how does other people having high skills negatively impact your gameplay

PVP

attempting to compete in any market without dumping money in for other people's tools only to spend months playing catch-up, yet still not reaching their level

Should a new server on the current cluster happen, high skill players would have functioning deeds before most new players have even arrived

I could go on, my main point is that everyone has progressed so far that there's no realistic point to starting on this game. You are automatically worse off than everyone else unless you can put in money buying high enchant tools, horses, and ships. A fresh cluster gives everyone reason and opportunity to begin anew, to experience the game how it should be. No wonder so many move on to WU

requiring super high stats is just a scapegoat for people that die in pvp and are salty. i've played on an 85 body str acc and it barely hits harder than a 50 in pvp, slaughters pve mobs tho, but who cares about that

i hate to break it to you but skilling to 90 is like, insanely easy. ive done skills to 90 in a week, i'd give it 3 months before the tool/enchant markets are identical to current servers but then we have a playerbase split in 2 and you're calling for a 3rd new cluster lol

people go to wu coz mods and it was $1

Please note that i'm not calling for a new cluster identical to freedom, just for the sake of having fresh starts. That would get old quickly, which is why new systems to incorporate pvp/pve more fluidly into the game would be needed, and new modes would be helpful too. Something new needs to be done.

And a new cluster offers a chance for the devs to do something new and big with the game, akin to a relaunch considering improvements made over recent times. Not saying the game is where it needs to be for that kind of thing, but it's a great goal for them. 

Also, what exactly is it that 90% of those mods do? Bring new and exciting content/changes to the game...

I have high skills but I think a fresh start isolated server would be great to keep wo alive and bring more players both new and old. I think a pvp or hybrid fresh server  would cause less worry to existing players than a pve one. 

21 hours ago, Maiev said:

I have high skills but I think a fresh start isolated server would be great to keep wo alive and bring more players both new and old. I think a pvp or hybrid fresh server  would cause less worry to existing players than a pve one. 

Sure, slap people who has been loyal to this game for 10 years right in the face because of some newbs that would come and go in a year... New isolated server will just isolate old players until we come to situation like epic is now. You'll force them to play on old servers alone or to start all over again in active server. Clustering only further fragment playerbase and that's in much worse way than simply opening new server...

It either has to be new wurmagedon so everyone start fresh on new lands together or nothing.

And also, all that stories about new players can't enjoy in see of older players are mostly bulshit. The biggest problem here is account trading which prevent healthy circle of life in game. If characters dies when people stop playing ecosystem would feel more natural. Most valuable resources in this game are time, will and enthusiasm and most of older players loose some of them overtime, or focus on private projects instead of competing on market...

I would gladly start over fresh with everyone else and would still have advantage over newbs because I know what and how I would grind and I know how this game works but what's the point when in few years we will reach the same situation, and a man can have patience for only few of fresh starts ;)